• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shield Spell

Zhure

First Post
Since the search function is disabled, I can't confirm my recollection of the Shield Spell.

IIRC, it was nerfed so it provided only a "cover bonus" of +7, but doesn't give a bonus to reflex saves.

Can anyone give me a link to verify this?

Greg

hong

WotC's bitch
A shield spell has always provided a +7 cover bonus to AC, and a +3 cover bonus to Ref saves, as I recall. The confusion is over whether it actually provides _cover_, like hiding behind a real physical object. This is important because you can't make AoOs against an opponent with one-half cover or better.

Artoomis

First Post
In a nutshell:

At least one or two of the nice folks at WotC think the shield spell is supposed to provide a cover bonus, not actual cover, so as not to void out the AoO from casting spells.

This change has never made it into errata, so you are on your own to decide which way to go - the "official" way is still as it is written in the PHB.

Crothian

First Post
We use the cover version. It doesn't matter that much as the only way we use shield is when my Bard casts it from a scroll.

Darklone

grmbl

Wait a second:

At first: Sage advice states that shield gives cover bonus. It's as written in my PHB.

Second: Scrolls? I think you should only able to use scrolls with spells on your spelllist... which means bards can't use shield scrolls... Sorry If I am mistaken here.

Crothian

First Post
Re: grmbl

Darklone said:
Wait a second:

At first: Sage advice states that shield gives cover bonus. It's as written in my PHB.

Second: Scrolls? I think you should only able to use scrolls with spells on your spelllist... which means bards can't use shield scrolls... Sorry If I am mistaken here.

Normally you are right, but the Use Magical Device skill allows Bards and Rogues to use (or try to use) any magical item including scrolls. With 5 ranks in both decipher script and Spellcraft, you get a total of +4 synergy bonus to Use Magical Device with scrolls. THis helps out a lot.

Tiberius

Explorer
Darklone said:
Wait a second:

In the PHB it says the Shield spell provides cover. The Sage is saying that the spell provides a cover bonus to AC. A subtle though significant distinction. Accordingly, the Shield spell would provide a +7 to AC, but would not confer the bonus to reflex saves nor the immunity to AoO inherent to 3/4 cover. Further, as it is a cover bonus, the AC boost would stack with other protectives (e.g. Mage Armor. Ring of Protection, etc.).

They can via the Use Magic Device skill.

-Tiberius

[EDIT: The bold tag is not [B}!]

Last edited:

Darklone

Tiberius said:

They can via the Use Magic Device skill.

-Tiberius

[EDIT: The bold tag is not [B}!]

Nice idea didn't think about it ...

As for the PHB... there are several versions. Mine says shield: cover bonus :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads