• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Shield Upgrades, please critique

Capn Charlie

Explorer
I have been running a gritty low-magic game for a while now and am about to roll out a weapon and armor masterwork system, as opposed to magical items, and instead of just rehashing +1 bonuses I wanted something... grittier.

Right now on my plate are two shield upgrades. Conceptually these are applied at item creation and alter the way the item functions for the duration of its existence, in exchange for increased cost. As I wrote them, they seemed better as modifications to the base item and might just be good as new types of shields. Tell me what you think, find what I am missing.

Tower Shield: As a bonus action, you take 1/2 cover against ranged attacks until your next round.

Buckler: This shield provides -1 ac vs ranged attacks, as a reaction to having an attack made against you, you ready this shield and apply its effects against that attack.

Dualazi

First Post
They definitely seem more in line with modifications, as neither of those are really a 'buff'. As levels increase bonus actions become more and more in demand, which crimps the effectiveness of the tower shield, and the wording you have on the buckler is confusing. Am I inferring correctly that the shield's bonus doesn't apply without the reaction? Because if so it seems to read as if the shield doesn't give any melee bonuses without the reaction and somehow penalizes you against ranged.

In my opinion, you could keep the tower shield's bonus and throw in a movement speed penalty and it would probably be fine. Other potential downsides could be a hit to perception (it blocks a lot of your field of view, especially when raised) or impose disadvantage for using larger and heavier weapons.

For the buckler, I would simply make it a shield that doesn't add its AC against ranged attacks, or lower the AC bonus to 1 and let everyone use it regardless of proficiency.

Harzel

Adventurer
Buckler: This shield provides -1 ac vs ranged attacks, as a reaction to having an attack made against you, you ready this shield and apply its effects against that attack.

I'm not sure I understand this one. Does this mean you are more susceptible to ranged attacks when using this? And for the reaction part a) does this mean that the buckler does nothing if you do not use this reaction; and b) what are its "effects"?

Capn Charlie

Explorer
Let me clarify the buckler.

I envision it as functioning as a normal shield, most of the time, with the exceptions being it only provides +1 ac vs ranged attacks, and is strapped to the arm of the user. It can be readied (so the user can benefit from its ac bonus) as part of any action that readies a one handed weapon. (Drop bow, ready shortsword and this as a single action)

Additionally, even while dual wielding, or using a two handed weapon, it can be immediately readied and be effective against a single attack by using a reaction.

Let me clarify the buckler.

I envision it as functioning as a normal shield, most of the time, with the exceptions being it only provides +1 ac vs ranged attacks, and is strapped to the arm of the user. It can be readied (so the user can benefit from its ac bonus) as part of any action that readies a one handed weapon. (Drop bow, ready shortsword and this as a single action)

Additionally, even while dual wielding, or using a two handed weapon, it can be immediately readied and be effective against a single attack by using a reaction.
There's no set definition, of course, but what people typically think of as a "buckler" is distinctly not strapped to the arm of the user, instead having a simple grip that's easy to grab off the belt and maneuver around. Curiously, though, I'd tend to model this mechanically much the same way you've written up your buckler: the grip means you can draw it like a weapon rather than needing a whole action to don it, but the small size means you have to use your reaction to get its AC bonus against an attack rather than receiving the bonus passively.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads