• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shields

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depending upon their make, shields make dandy toboggans, impromptu shovels, parasols, frying pans, alarms, percussion instruments, fuel for the campfire, and signalling devices.

Sol.Dragonheart

First Post
Until shields are given a real, tangible benefit that is not heavily outweighed by other options, I doubt I will see them in use in my campaigns or with my characters. It is simply better to use a two handed weapon, and as I make an effort to model my worlds/characters with practical considerations in mind, I do not see why any competent warrior would choose to use a sword and shield.

theskyfullofdust

First Post
I have a party that uses their shields chiefly for identification (although a few are magical too). The all hail from the Shield Lands, are called the Defenders of the Shield, and bear the coat-of-arms on the shields.

Shields can also be used as improvised throwing weapons; useful when it's the only magic 'weapon' you have and you're facing a demon.

Darklone

theskyfullofdust said:
Shields can also be used as improvised throwing weapons; useful when it's the only magic 'weapon' you have and you're facing a demon.
Sadly a shield bonus does not work as weapon enhancement bonus... though I can understand that ruling.

Shields rock with PHB2 feats.

Jhaelen

First Post
Mark said:
How often have shields in your games played a larger role than just being a modifier to armor class?
Only if the shield is part of a character's build. E.g. one of my players is playing a shield-wielding warforged fighter who took pretty much all of the shield-related PHB2 feats. At least at the current level (10-11) he's similarly effective as the group's dwarf barbarian. Especially the ability to add the shield bonus to your touch AC is VERY nice.
Mark said:
Do characters (NPCs and PCs) in your games use shields for identification?
Partially. Generally someone using a shield bearing a herald will also wear a tabard or similar pieces of equipment that will display it as well.
Mark said:
Do shields in your games ever have additional powers?
Sure. Between using MIC and WoL there's quite a few options for interesting shields.
Mark said:
Do shields in your games ever get used in unusual or nonstandard ways?
What would you consider unusual? I guess, the answer is no. Besides the things covered by feats or general combat options, shields generally aren't used for anything.

Jhaelen

First Post
Darklone said:
Sadly a shield bonus does not work as weapon enhancement bonus... though I can understand that ruling.
True, but you can also give it a weapon enhancement bonus in addition to a shield enhancement bonus.

Pbartender

First Post
Mark said:
How often have shields in your games played a larger role than just being a modifier to armor class?

Not often, but occassionally, yes. In particular, Sir Harvey, a Knight I played in my wife's Red Hand of Doom campaign was specifically designed to take advantage of using a shield. A combination of the Improved Shield Bash, Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Weapon Pounce feats helped a lot.

Mark said:
Do characters (NPCs and PCs) in your games use shields for identification?

Sometimes, yes... Sir Harvey had a shield that was given to him by the Tiri Kitor Elves of Rhest in return for certain heroic acts he performed on their behalf. The shield was emblazoned with an owl, and marked him as an honorary captain of the Owl Riders, and a trusted ally (notable since he was human, and these elves are notoriously xenophobic).

Once word got around, NPCs almost always recognized him by his shield.

Mark said:
Do shields in your games ever have additional powers?

Aside from the special abilities ones that can normally be given to magic shields? No, not much.

Mark said:
Do shields in your games ever get used in unusual or nonstandard ways?

Not much, though Harvey did use it for Bull Rushing and Disarming on one or two notable occasions.

Sol.Dragonheart said:
Until shields are given a real, tangible benefit that is not heavily outweighed by other options, I doubt I will see them in use in my campaigns or with my characters. It is simply better to use a two handed weapon, and as I make an effort to model my worlds/characters with practical considerations in mind, I do not see why any competent warrior would choose to use a sword and shield.

If you are familiar with Red Hand of Doom, this might have meaning for you... Sir Harvey killed Wyrmlord Kharn in two rounds of single combat, and he killed Wyrmlord Azar Kul in only one round of single combat. When ambushed, he faced off three full grown dragons by himself and held his own for a half dozen rounds so the rest of the party could get away. He typically dealt about as much damage, if not more, per round than the party's greatsword-swinging Barbarian.

Had he been a Fighter with the extra feats, instead of a Knight, he would have been dealing even more. I wouldn't consider a two-handed weapon "simply better"... It all depends on how you build and use the character.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
One character I played was a professional Kite-maker who had a magic kite which could be used as a shield (amongst other things)

other than that is really only Clerics that use them emblazoned with the emblem of their temple/order (ie identification)

Darklone

IMHO the best changes for shields would be to treat them as secondary attack similar to natural weapons and allow their armor enhancement bonus to act as weapon enhancement bonus.

On the one hand I like shields to be used, on the other I don't want them to be better than two weapons.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I do not see why any competent warrior would choose to use a sword and shield.

Simple- survivability.

I was running a 1/2 Orc Bounty Hunter (IOW, Ranger) who was, as it turned out, the sole warrior-classed PC in the party. Originally, he had been equipped with a Heavy Flail, but in the early few adventures, he invariably went down during the combat, forcing the others to really struggle.

After a few combats like this, I switched to a sword & board build with a lighter flail. The resulting shift of just a couple of points of AC kept him from getting dropped in any subsequent combat.*

* Though he did meet his demise going over a cliff after a couple more sessions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads