• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shifter questions...

Dwarmaj

First Post
1) Each use of Greater Wildshape heals the character as if they rested for a day, does this mean that a 10th level Shifter (who can use GW each round) can cure themselves of all damage in a few rounds?

2) I read somewhere that Template creatures can't be used to shapechange into, is that correct? It seems to me that a Vampire is just a subtype of Undead. Some Vampires use to be Human just like some Ghasts, Ghouls, or Wraiths.

3) When in a different form, does the Shifter gain the benifits of the creature type? (Example: I one changes into an Ooze do you get the Ooze immunities.

4) What happens to a Shifter in Ooze form that is broken into different pieces, then hit with a Dispel Magic or Anti-Magic. Would they be immediately slain or could they just reform?

5) Would a 10th level Shifter heal ability damage (Str, Con, Dex) after each change of form? They get the average stats of the creature they change into, seems like it would work.

Thanks,
Dwarmaj

Last edited:

Zerovoid

First Post
Dwarmaj said:
1) Each use of Greater Wildshape heals the character as if they rested for a day, does this mean that a 10th level Shifter (who can use GW each round) can cure themselves of all damage in a few rounds?

According to the rules, yes. Its pretty powerful, but you have to be at least 15th level by then, when the cleric can cast heal multiple times a day, so its probably not a big deal. This may be the biggest advantage that a Shifter has over a druid or wizard with the Shapechange spell.

2) I read somewhere that Template creatures can't be used to shapechange into, is that correct? It seems to me that a Vampire is just a subtype of Undead. Some Vampires use to be Human just like some Ghasts, Ghouls, or Wraiths.

I'm not sure about this. It seems like a templated creature is just another type of creature, but this is pretty over the top if the Shifter can just pile on templates like this.

3) When in a different form, does the Shifter gain the benifits of the creature type? (Example: I one changes into an Ooze do you get the Ooze immunities.

I don't think your creature type changes, so no, you would not gain these benefits. You only gain extraordinary abilites, and the properties that you get from being a creature type are not labeled as extraordinary.

4) What happens to a Shifter in Ooze form that is broken into different pieces, then hit with a Dispel Magic or Anti-Magic. Would they be immediately slain or could they just reform?

I guess you are referring to the Split extraordinary ability posessed by the Ochre Jelly. I'm not sure I'd want PC's to be affected by this at all, just too confusing. As DM, I would simply say that they don't get this ability. Turning into a Jelly, and being chopped into dozens of pieces could be something like the ultimate form of haste. I would rule that whenever the wild shape got dispelled, the druid's form would be pulled together from the different pieces, and the only damage would be the odd HP lost during the splitting and rounding down.

Dwarmaj

First Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking that the Vampires Fast Healing would be a great Ex ability to pick up (if Templates are allowed).

Dwarmaj

Galfridus

First Post
Dwarmaj said:

Yup. Not bad...but I don't think it's unbalanced (after all, you're giving up 10 levels of spells to get to this point).

This is right by the rules. I would probably allow a Shifter to change into a "generic" ghost and vampire (since these were monsters in the old rules). By generic, I mean a ghost or vampire of their race, with abilities determined by the DM (you couldn't pick new abilities each time you shifted).

Nope, IMO, unless they are extraordinary abilities.

Heck with slain, would there be two of them? After all, each ooze is a separate creature, just with half hit points. I would rule that only one of the oozes reforms into the person, the others dissolve.

5) Would a 10th level Shifter heal ability damage (Str, Con, Dex) after each change of form? They get the average stats of the creature they change into, seems like it would work.

I would rule that ability damage carries over from form to form. Unless Wild Shape heals ability damage like it heals hit point damage, the ability damage would stay.

Do Shifters rule?

Yes. :)

Morose

First Post
Re: Re: Shifter questions...

Galfridus said:

I would rule that ability damage carries over from form to form. Unless Wild Shape heals ability damage like it heals hit point damage, the ability damage would stay.

It doesn't heal ability damage. The description specifically mentions it even IIRC. :)

Last edited:

Skaros

First Post
Re: Re: Shifter questions...

Zerovoid said:
According to the rules, yes. Its pretty powerful, but you have to be at least 15th level by then...

Of course you could instead get this sort of healing sooner than 15th by taking 3 lvls of animal lord, which gives you lesser wild shape an unlimited # of times per day.

All cool stuff.

-Skaros

Remove ads