• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

shifter shifting into regeneration

Psyduck

First Post
In our current campaign, a question came up about the shifter in the group. His plan of attack is to take the form of a tendriculos, taking real damage from bludgening and acid damage. After battling as a tendriculos, he'd morph into a troll to heal the bludgening damage. This means that he is only defeated entirely by acid and some instant kill spells. Something here seems amiss. Are we using these rules right?

Iku Rex

Explorer
Psyduck said:
After battling as a tendriculos, he'd morph into a troll to heal the bludgening damage.
Regeneration only heals subdual damage. If he's taken "real" damage as a tendriculos it will still be "real" damage when he changes into a troll. (He should change into something with fast healing instead.)

Psyduck

First Post
Re: Re: shifter shifting into regeneration

Iku Rex said:
Regeneration only heals subdual damage. If he's taken "real" damage as a tendriculos it will still be "real" damage when he changes into a troll. (He should change into something with fast healing instead.)

Wouldn't changing into a troll chang the bludgening damage he took into subdual damage?

No, he already took the damage, and is not damaged again.

Still, according to the Wildshape Description, you heal hitpoints as if you rested 8 hours - does this also applay to subdual damage? (I know it does not apply to ability score damage and similar aspects) In this case, he would be immediately healed from any subdual damage that would normally still have to be regenerated.

As a side note - I am even uncertain if the Troll`s Regeneration could heal the subdual damage from the Tendricolous form - Regeneration does not work against all kinds of subdual damage (strenous activiy, as an example).

I think the best way to handle it (call it a house rule or whatever to your player, one that has been recommended by someone who plays a shifter in a powergaming campaign), is to rule that you can only heal damage of a form you are currently in.
(Remember, hp don`t change despite new ability scores, so for the purposes of the "body", your current hitpoint is your normal amount of hp)

Oh, and congratulate your player to this good choice for character and form. (I love shifters, and once I had much fun with the Tendricolous form - I nearly swallowed a dragon, if it was not for his high grapple check besides being smaller than me)

Mustrum Ridcully

Sejs

First Post
Wouldn't changing into a troll chang the bludgening damage he took into subdual damage?

No, because it was real damage at the time he took it.

Changing form doesn't retroactivly change the damage you took before changing shape. If I have 100hp, and take 50hp of damage, then greater wildshape into a troll I won't regenerate that 50 damage I took prior to shifting. Only damage I take after I turn into a troll is subject to the troll's regeneration ability.

Remove ads