• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shocking Grasp Overnight....

Shirt Guy John

First Post
DiFier said:
plus eventually he'll have to pee.

Sorry, but just thinking about how bad that would hurt, and the possible reprecussions of it, made me laugh my ass off. If you keep this in mind, I say let him go on with it and zap himself in places not meant to be zapped :D .

the Jester

Legend
Keep in mind that it discharges as soon as he touches anything else- his pillow, the firewood he's feeding the fire while he's on watch, his buddy who has the next watch, his spellbook as he's preparing spells the next day, the material components of the next spell he casts, his manhood when he has to pee, whatever.

He could try to pull this one off, but I can't envision how he could keep a touch spell's charge held while asleep without touching something.

Practically speaking, he prolly couldn't stand up without touching something either.

And keep in mind it isn't 'one hand' that discharges the spell- it's any touch.

dkilgo

First Post
Yeah, I was just wondering what hand holds the charge. Would it be your dominant hand, or your off-hand? I wouldn't think that it would be your off-hand because you would take a penalty for attacking with your off-hand. Or, is it just anything that you touch reguardless of the hand used to touch what ever it is that you are touching?

Also, I do play that when you list that you are right handed that your right hand is yor primary hand, and your left hand is your off-hand. I treat it the same as if the roles were reversed. Why else would they have the slot on your character sheet labeled handedness? To me that is to determine what hand is dominant for your character. If you had the Ambidexterity feat you would then be able to decide which hand was your dominant hand for the moment, but not until you have this feat.

Ran

First Post
hehehehe... DMs are evil... hehehehe...
Shocking grasp your ownself while peeing...
hehehehe...

Anyway, he quit the idea completely, and the character (that is a she) is safe... for now... gotta hit her somehow... her AC is 27 with shield spell... 3rd level party... maybe I will use a mage and have touch spells to make havoc...

Pbartender

First Post
...Also, don't forget that allowing him to hold the charge of a Shocking Grasp sets the presedent for higher level touch spells, once he (or other spellcasters in the party) gets them. Do you really want your PC clerics to be holding a spell all night long to get an extra Harm spell the next day?

...Also also, don't forget (remind him of this too) that anything the players can do, so can the NPCs. Does he really want enemy clerics to be holding a spell all night long to get an extra Harm spell the next day?

Last edited:

dkilgo

First Post
Pbartender said:
...Also, don't forget that allowing him to hold the charge of a Shocking Grasp sets the presedent for higher level touch spells, once he (or other spellcasters in the party) gets them. Do you really want your PC clerics to be holding a spell all night long to get an extra Harm spell the next day?

...Also also, don't forget (remind him of this too) that anything the players can do, so can the NPCs. Does he really want enemy clerics to be holding a spell all night long to get an extra Harm spell the next day?

You make a very good point. Everything has an equal and opposite reaction. I like your simple, yet, straight to the point view point on this.

drnuncheon

Explorer
dkilgo said:
Yeah, I was just wondering what hand holds the charge. Would it be your dominant hand, or your off-hand?

Whichever hand you used to cast the spell.

If it's the primary hand, have the PC do everything at the table with only his off-hand, to represent the difficulty of not touching anything and thus discharging the spell. Rolling dice, looking things up in books, procuring snacks - all must be done one-handed to represent the dfifficuly his character is having with similar feats in-game.

If he forgets and uses his primary hand...zappo, spell is lost. If he sets his hand down on the table to rest his arm, spell is lost. If he bumps another player, or scratches his nose, somebody is taking damage.

That sort of object lesson ought to drive home to him exactly how silly he's being.

Oh yeah, definitely don't forget that if he casts another spell, the shocking grasp is lost.

J

dkilgo

First Post
drnuncheon said:

Whichever hand you used to cast the spell.

If it's the primary hand, have the PC do everything at the table with only his off-hand, to represent the difficulty of not touching anything and thus discharging the spell. Rolling dice, looking things up in books, procuring snacks - all must be done one-handed to represent the dfifficuly his character is having with similar feats in-game.

If he forgets and uses his primary hand...zappo, spell is lost. If he sets his hand down on the table to rest his arm, spell is lost. If he bumps another player, or scratches his nose, somebody is taking damage.

That sort of object lesson ought to drive home to him exactly how silly he's being.

Oh yeah, definitely don't forget that if he casts another spell, the shocking grasp is lost.

J

Now, I like your style. That is one way I didn't think of. Thanks that idea might be able to be spread for different things. If a player wants to do something silly like that then make him do something similar in RL. Thanks.

Remove ads