Shocking Grasp Overnight....

Ran

First Post
Hey everyone, yesterday we played the very first session of my adventure, it was nice, we haven't had any battle and the role playing was heavy, anyway here it goes:

One of my players is an elf with two levels wizaard (3 total-- fighter), he wanted to cast his memorized shocking grasp before sleeping AND have it overnight for discharge next day... see it?

Well, i didn't allow it, ruled that the spell is not made to be forever charged and by doing this you are like loosing the spell little by little, or by accident, touching the pillow...

i would aprecciate thoughts, he was the last DM and didn't like the idea at all... of course i can still change my opinion, just want your help here...

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
I'd avoid the argument about losing the spell little by little and just do what Kamard suggests. Mosquito bites mage - mage swats mosquito - zappo :) And if he can come up with a good enough argument for how he'd avoid touching anything all night (e.g. ties his arm to a tree to keep it suspended), allow it & let him keep the spell. Just make sure to enforce fatigue rules the next day - which means no new spells :D

AGGEMAM

First Post
Just remember that a cast 'Until discharged' spell counts against your daily spell maximum.

That is the rules, and it fixes your problem.

Last edited:

Petrosian

First Post
Can i please have a rule reference for this?

AFAIK a spell which lasts long enough to go thru your sleep period does not count against your next days spell used. For example, it is fairly common to cast an endure elements at night before bed and sleep and wake up next morning and do your thing and get all spells back with the 24 hour EE still lasting.

AGGEMAM said:
Just remember that a cast 'Until discharged' spell counts against your daily spell maximum.

That is the rules, and it fixes your problem.

Petrosian

First Post
Ok the spell discharges as soon as he casts another spell or touches anything.

First he has to explain to me how he avoids touching anything in his sleep or meditation periods. If it involves some sort of uncomfortable arrangement i would give him the "slept in armor" penalties for a bad nights rest.

Even if he goes thru with it and convinces me his character can relax without touching anything (and i recall the difficulties injured limbs gave me in just 'sitting around" so that would be tough) then he has still hosed himself.

In my games, it is very common for characters to want to throw spells BEFORE combat. Does he want to put up mage armor or shield before rushing into melee range? if so, as soon as he casts either the shocking grasp is discharged. My players will throw lots of spells before they want to run into combat, and so this overnight touch spell thing has never come up.

DiFier

First Post
I have never used this spell but I guess that you cast it and then can use it next round? or is your mele touch attach part of the somatic component?

If it is the first and you cast it and then use it next round and he is trying to get around that. maybe you should let him do it. but don't forget about the spell, he will probablly only think about it during combat. then you can have some fun. "You meet the mayor of the city he is wearing a guilded robe. he shakes everyone's hand. . ." then have him roll a d20 he'll get at least a plus +5 to attack (+3 cause of all the metal the mayor is wearing, +2 BAB +any strength +a bonus cause the mayor is also trying to touch him.) then zappo. He'll probablly have killed the mayor and he'll never do that again.

of course you probablly will not have to worry about this cause he'll probablly just discharge it into one of the other members of the party. "Here you go wiazard/figher guy here's your breakfast." zappo. or he falls into the river and the person who help him out get the reward of 1d8+1 damage and will probablly drop him back into the river.

plus eventually he'll have to pee.

Berk

First Post
How would he plan to prepare his spells the next day anyway? As soon as he touches his spell book ZAP, crispy spellbook and prolly no more spellbook. =o)

Anyways it is impossible. Or at the best so very very very close to impossible. =o)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
He shows signs of being a rules-lawyer and should be cured of that in an early stage of the affliction. Do so by any means described above.

Remove ads