• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should a DM change an official NPC?

Crothian

First Post
Depends how drastic. Now if you take Bob the friendly farmer who for the past 3 moths have allowed the Pcs to stay in some of his extra rooms because they saved his farm and family from the Beholder, and then the PCs come back and Bob is a 50th level Wizard that might be too much. As a player I'd wanty a darn good explanation on that one. But if Bob instead all of a sudden knew how to weld a long sword, where he could only weld a short sword before, I think that's an okay change.

So, what change did the DM make that brought along this question?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Do you mean changing someone like Elminster as published in the FRCS to a different class/level, giving different spells, magic items, etc.? If so, I say yes the DM can and should. The DM should change all parts of a published campaign world that need to be changed to meet the DM's needs.

Victim

First Post
You mean official ones, like the stats for Drizzt?

Yes, the DM can and should change them. First of all, the DM may want to change the world. Toning down many of the high level wizards in FR might be a useful change, or removing Chosen templete and instead using Arcane Devotee levels.

Also, if the DM is using additional supplements, then NPCs could be altered to include those options.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'll have to agree with Mr. Noah. The fact that it is "official" does not make it inviolable. The "official" stuff isn't there to be canon set in stone. It's there for the DM to use as he sees fiit. The DM has as much right to change such an NPC as he has to change the stats on a monster, or a trap, or a spell.

IceBear

Explorer
I think this has to do with the BoVD thread and how some people are unhappy with the power level of the various demon and devil princes.

I agree with what Eric said - if an published NPC's stats doesn't work in the DMs campaign, they can and should be changed. That said, I wouldn't advocate changing NPC stats after they've been established (as per the first response).

IceBear

Airwolf

First Post
I have to agree with Crothian. If the change is minor you should.

I am always changing things in my adventures, including NPCs.

I will change things like stats, a little up or down, exchange feats, skills, weapons, armor, etc.

I do this just to add flavor to the type of adventures I like to run. I think any DM should review the NPCs and see if they fit well with the party they are working with or against.

Good luck!

The Serge

First Post
greymarch: You asked earlier about ELH being used with BoVD. Here's a quote from Bruce Cordell from montecook.com:

Actually, just the reverse. The ELH content is there, but behind the scenes. ELH's power curve isn't jagged--there is about a level's worth of difference between 20th level characters and 21st level characters, which allowed us to incorporate aspects of it in BoVD and other projects that stretch above the bleeding end of 20th level. In this instance, if you have ELH, you'll find that Demogorgon is in accord with the power of a creature of his level from an ELH point of view. If you don't have ELH, you'll find that he is really tough, but no tougher than you'd already expect for a creature of his CR :).

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
I think you're gonna get pretty much 100% agreement here. NPCs can and should be changed by the DM to fit the flavor and balance of the campaign. As long as such things are changed before the NPC is introduced and not, say, in the middle of combat, what's the big deal?

Mr Fidgit

First Post
greymarch said:
Should DMs change the stats of official NPCs? Can it ruin continuity of the game, and the trust of the players?

1) i don't know if DMs should, but i think a DM can do whatever he or she wants in their game (i.e. see rule: zero)

2) if you're talking about published NPCs and/or characters from novels, i don't think so. just because a player a read a story about Drizzt (or any other novel character) and your PC ends up meeting him, you shouldn't have any preconceived notions about that NPC. you'd be using player knowledge and not character knowledge

(of course i'm a firm believer in not using 'official' NPCs in my games.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads