D&D General Should a low level character know to burn a troll?

Should a low level character know to burn a troll?

• Yes

Votes: 86 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 21.1%

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think there needs to be a depends choice. As is evident from many answers (including my own), several us believe that various setting considerations (size of the setting, how common are trolls in a region, the region in which a given character is from, etc.) should be taken into account before deciding.

When someone proposes a question with much too simplified answers, the solution is not to beg for more answers, it's to read their question as literally as possible. In this case note that he never put a timeframe on when they acquire their knowledge. So literally they could have already defeated the troll with fire by dumb luck and they would now know fire kills trolls, thus the low level characters knows to burn a troll with fire.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Not sure how you jumped from what I said to the conclusion that I have a low opinion of other players. I do have a rather low opinion of posters who claim that their way of playing is role-playing, with the implication (or sometimes explicit claim) that other ways of playing are not really role-playing.

The language you used was similar to the language those people use. Apologies if I mistakenly assumed you were one of them.

I'll just drop this since you seem to have a big problem with certain subjects, Role Playing being one of them.

G

Guest 6801328

I'll just drop this since you seem to have a big problem with certain subjects, Role Playing being one of them.

Wow.

A simple, "No, I'm not one of those people. Apology accepted." would have been fine.

But, ok.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
... the solution is not to beg for more answers, it's to read their question as literally as possible.

What problem are you trying to solve?

If the question and answers, as posed, seem too simplistic, it would seem the approach best suited to understanding the topic would be to tell the author this, perhaps engage in some conversation about it, and see if they would prefer some more nuanced answers or to clarify the question somewhat.

Just being as literal-minded as possible doesn't tell anyone what the issues might be - at best it passive-aggressively tries to show how the author may be missing a point, but passive-aggression isn't known for its constructive impact.

Oofta

Legend
Really, I don't recall the troll in 3 Billy Goats Gruff being defeated by fire. I thought he was defeated by the largest of the billy goats ramming him with its horns.

I thought everyone knew about the infamous fire goat
w-od4Xyd_400x400.jpg

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
What problem are you trying to solve?

If the question and answers, as posed, seem too simplistic, it would seem the approach best suited to understanding the topic would be to tell the author this, perhaps engage in some conversation about it, and see if they would prefer some more nuanced answers or to clarify the question somewhat.

Just being as literal-minded as possible doesn't tell anyone what the issues might be - at best it passive-aggressively tries to show how the author may be missing a point, but passive-aggression isn't known for its constructive impact.

Careful. If I said that at best your post was passive aggressive you would kick me from this thread.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No. Unless their background or skills mean they should know.

In my opinion the creators of the Walking Dead had it right. If zombie movies exist then zombies are less scary. We played Curse of Strahd the same way. No characters knew what this blood sucking fiend was, because otherwise their characters are all planning for it.

If the players are mature enough to separate character knowledge from player knowledge I find this method is far more satisfying.
Got nothing to do with maturity, but okay

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, but they're an unreliable source of information often adding their own embellishments to every tale.
Woah that’s an odd take.

Classically, beards are literally the primary source of news and reliably true history and lore in societies that actually have bards. It’s one reason that they held a place of respect in ancient societies.

Remove ads