• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should a NPC cleric heal himself?

Kafkonia

First Post
Aeson said:
I've thought of a game with no healing. It might be interesting but very slow. Every time they take damage they would wait until they healed naturally.

So much of the game is based around the availability of healing, you might be better suited changing to a new system for such a game if you want to avoid a major overhaul to keep the game playable.

(Not a dig by any means; it's just something I'd been thinking about lately, as I've been looking at some GURPS supplements for adapting to d20 fantasy use.)

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
Kafkonia said:
So much of the game is based around the availability of healing, you might be better suited changing to a new system for such a game if you want to avoid a major overhaul to keep the game playable.

(Not a dig by any means; it's just something I'd been thinking about lately, as I've been looking at some GURPS supplements for adapting to d20 fantasy use.)

I don't take it as a dig. D&D to me seems all about the combat and healing is important to that. If I were to run a game without healing I think it would have to be another system. Many sci-fi systems have little healing in them. Is there a fantasy system out there like that?

Endur

First Post
SpiderMonkey said:
Whadda bunch o' sissies. Tell 'em next time they whine you'll break out the Arduin crit tables.

Better yet, tell em next time their BBEG is a Black Phraint from Arduin (or any other Arduin monster, really) instead of a cleric.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Aeson said:
In our game yesterday the party fought an undead cleric. I wanted to make it more of a challange. The cleric had an inflict serious wounds spell. I used it to heal the cleric. I heard groans from most of the people at the table. One went as far to say that it was against "the GM code of ethics" (which I never heard of) for a cleric to heal himself like that. Another arguement he had was it prolongs the battle.

My initial response: BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

For your next game sesssion, have a box of tissue on hand. When the sniveling starts about something stupid (like clerics healing themselves), offer the box to the players. Then, to make them happy, announce that clerics are only allowed to cast spells on other creatures and add two invisible clerics to the enemy's allies list so that they can heal the BBEG.

Ragnar69

First Post
Aeson said:
I don't take it as a dig. D&D to me seems all about the combat and healing is important to that. If I were to run a game without healing I think it would have to be another system. Many sci-fi systems have little healing in them. Is there a fantasy system out there like that?

You could check out Iron Heroes which has no magical healing. You basicaly have Reserve Points (same amount as hitpoints) which you can use to heal yourself between encounters. So you have the same hitpoints in a given encounter, but twice as many in a given day.

the Jester

Legend
Aeson said:
What is Arduin?

The Arduin Grimoire was a dnd knockoff back in the day... though I thought the system itself was laughably broken, it had a lot of cool flavor and some really outrageous crit charts and monsters. Man, I wish I still had those lil booklets... they were cool! :D

*ponders searching online*

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads