D&D General Should Bearded Female Dwarves be the Default?

Should Bearded Female Dwarves be the Default?

• Yes

Votes: 46 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • A possible trait, but not universal

Votes: 94 41.8%
  • No opinion

Votes: 21 9.3%

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I go by the "Female Dwarves can grow beards but modern ones shave."

Basically

1. Traditional Female Dwarves grow out their beards and look like males when in armor or thick clothing. In their society, a dwarf is a a dwarf.
  2. Modern Female Dwarves shave their beards and grow out long hair. Female and male dwarves have different gender roles and the hair symbolizes it.
  3. Surface Female Dwarves that live with humans wear human hair styles. Dwarves that live primariliy with other races take on the hairstyles and grooming of the majority dominant race and culture.

Well, that's kind of creepy. Dragonboobs for dragonmilk, because reptiles give ... eh.

I honestly don't mind either way, but I prefer non-humans to be non-human, as opposed to "Sexy human/animal hybrids."

I am definitely biased against dragonboobs. I always liked playing lizardfolk and it's like, they're reptiles or something close, for gods sake, not mammals, the entire category of creatures named for their mammary glands! I get all the "but dragonborn aren't dragon-relatives!" but they really should be I mean come on. The no tails this is also silly (and given how many people draw their dragonborn with a tail I know this is not a rare opinion).

Weiley31

Legend
I am definitely biased against dragonboobs. I always liked playing lizardfolk and it's like, they're reptiles or something close, for gods sake, not mammals, the entire category of creatures named for their mammary glands! I get all the "but dragonborn aren't dragon-relatives!" but they really should be I mean come on. The no tails this is also silly (and given how many people draw their dragonborn with a tail I know this is not a rare opinion).
I'm for Lizardfolks not having boobs, but perfectly fine with Dragonborn and Dragonboobs.

I mean, if your character scores with a hot female Dragon who in a humanoid form, I'm pretty sure those dragon ta-ta's in said humanoid form AREN'T fake.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, I've come across that, but surveys I've seen of female players (years ago, admittedly), and asking real female players their opinion suggest it is a minority opinion among female players
Well, old data beats current anecdotes, though I’d be interested to see if that has changed more recently.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm for Lizardfolks not having boobs, but perfectly fine with Dragonborn and Dragonboobs.

I mean, if your character scores with a hot female Dragon who in a humanoid form, I'm pretty sure those dragon ta-ta's in said humanoid form AREN'T fake.
By that metric though, shouldn’t wizards have echidna dongs, cause if they polymorphed into echidnas they’d have “real” ones?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
This is very much in the if that's what you want, great camp for me. I don't know that mandating it one way or the other outside of a specific game is useful. I think what the player of the specific female dwarf thinks about the idea would be my guide. There's enough negative imagery around bearded ladies and body hair in general that I wouldn't force lady beards on someone.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
From what I understand, the idea of female dwarves being bearded started as a joke. It came from a combination of basically no female dwarves ever appearing in fairy tales and a throwaway line in the appendices of Lord of the Rings about female dwarves being rarely seen and often mistaken for males (without specifying the reason for this; it could just as easily be that their faces were rarely seen). I don't think a fandom joke needs to become the canon standard for everything everywhere.

That said, if it floats your boat, have at it for your table.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases