D&D General Should D&D feature fearsome critters and other Americana?

Voadam

Legend
Obviously there are "American" monsters that resemble folklore from other traditions. But that's because a lot of monsters are fairly generic, so I don't see using a monster inspired by American folklore or pop culture as an issue. For me, it would only become a distraction if it was identifiable as such. So if it was an obvious pastiche called "Jersydevilus" or some such.
Paizo had their "Sandpoint Devil".

I think that's a different question though than "do these creatures fit in pseudo-medieval European setting?"
Most of D&D doesn’t fit into pseudo-medieval Europe. Who cares? It fits into D&D.

Does it fit your setting is the important question, and one no one else can answer.

(NB, you do realise pseudo means false?)

Last edited:

Most of D&D doesn’t fit into pseudo-medieval Europe. Who cares? It fits into D&D.

Does it fit your setting is the important question, and one no one else can answer.

(NB, you do realise pseudo means false?)
I am aware that pseudo means false. I'm uncertain why you'd feel the need to ask.

And I think that most folk or mythological monsters can be used in most settings..as long as the setting has no specific ties to specific human cultures or history.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Obviously there are "American" monsters that resemble folklore from other traditions. But that's because a lot of monsters are fairly generic, so I don't see using a monster inspired by American folklore or pop culture as an issue. For me, it would only become a distraction if it was identifiable as such. So if it was an obvious pastiche called "Jersydevilus" or some such.
Yeah, I think using "Jersey devil" as a name is an issue. Pathfinder has the Sandpoint Devil and, honestly, even that's a little too blatant for my tastes.

In contrast, I don't think a hidebehind is terribly jarring to most people, or a hoop snake. They're just fantasy creatures from a different, non-European source.

And I think that most folk or mythological monsters can be used in most settings..as long as the setting has no specific ties to specific human cultures or history.
There is campaign tone to consider. Something like a jackalope, which was always a joke of sorts, might not be a good fit for a very dark and serious campaign.

Then you have campaign settings that are themed round specific cultures, such as those in Radiant Citadel. You want to try and match your folklore to the setting as much as possible.

Last edited:

Hoop Snakes? Fantasy? Listen pal, when you have a slither of Hoop Snakes rolling at you when you're riding across the prarie they sure don't feel like a fantasy then.
Now you mention it, I'm almost certain I came across hoop snakes in a D&D adventure. I can't for the life of me remember which though, must have been a long time ago.

Remove ads