D&D (2024) Should healing word require hit dice?

Should healing word use ht dice?

• Yes. A good way to limit constant bouncing up from 0.

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • No. I like how it is now.

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • Other. I think it needs fixed but not this way.

Votes: 20 28.6%

Clint_L

Hero
Rework cure wounds.

you can use a HD for every "level" of cure spells.
if you do not use a HD, you heal for minimum amount.

Cure wounds:

1 Action cast, touch range. 1d8/spell level + cast mod
1 Bonus action cast, touch range. 1d6/spell level + cast mod
1 Action cast, 60ft range. 1d6/spell level + cast mod
1 Bonus action cast, 60ft range. 1d4/spell level + cast mod
1 Minute cast. 10HP per level + cast mod. Any HD spend with this version is maxed.
Doesn't option 4 make cure wounds identical to healing word? Also, shouldn't the difference between an action and bonus action be worth more than 1HP on average?

In any case, I don't think the solution to healing word is to make cure wounds into another healing word. I feel that compounds the problems that healing word is already causing.

Olrox17

Hero
No, I don't think Healing Word should consume HDs. Blue has already expressed the main reasons why it would have a negative impact on the existing 5e gameplay.

On the other hand, if all low level healing spells consumed HDs, AND all PCs received at least double the current daily amount of HDs, AND there was a system for recovering some HDs in exchange of exhaustion, then I'd be very interested, but I think this kind of system, realistically, would be outside the scope of the 5.5 update.

Shiroiken

Legend
I don't have much of an issue with Healing Word as is, but it would be interesting if it changed to you to spend your HD instead. Just costing a HD is way too much.

delericho

Legend
I don't see the problem with healing word - compared with cure wounds it's a bonus instead of standard action and cures about half as many hit points.

There's maybe an issue with casting at 0 hit points, but even here I'm not sure it's a massive issue - firstly, there's the risk of hostile creatures finishing off the target before the Cleric gets around to casting, then the target is still prone until their turn, and even then they have to use half their movement standing (and potentially actions re-readying items if they were holding more than one).

That said, in general I think I would prefer it if 5e healing instead gave recipients extra hit dice that they should expend immediately (so that the Barbarian gets more healing than the Wizard, but about the same amount as a percentage of the total).

Nerfing healing word wouldn't make other in-combat healing any more viable, it would just mean that characters that reach 0 would be likely to stay down for the rest of the fight.

Healing just can't keep up with damage in 5e, even the Cleric is better off using his Actions to shorten the fight with damage, buffs or control. (There are some exceptions, such as healing the raging Barbarian)

Fanaelialae

Legend
I voted no. I don't think the issue (assuming that an issue exists) is with Healing Word.

My recommendation would be that if you want to eliminate whack-a-mole, then just do that. House rule that a character at zero HP who receives healing doesn't auto-magically regain consciousness. (Maybe they have to make a successful death save in order to regain consciousness, or whatever you prefer.)

This obviously has the potential to sideline players for longer and result in deadlier combats, but so does having to spend HD.

Pauln6

Hero
We use the lowest version of natural healing so allow one extra die to be rolled for the base spells I.e. 2d4 or 2d8.

Giving the option of also spending a hit die is a good idea but should not be compulsory.

It would be nice to have combo suggestions for healing dials rather than just suggestions for natural healing.

I think that just makes healing even more complicated in D&D.

If I were running 5e I would use negative hit points, and the PC does not become conscious unless they get to 1 HP.

Rather than making healing word more costly to use, it makes all healing spells roughly the same utility if they are healing someone before they go negative or after.

It has another positive benefit (IMO) of PCs that are hit harder requiring more healing and possibly time to recover from much harder hits vs getting scratched by a cat.

Remove ads