D&D 4E Should hit points continue to be generated randomly in 4e?

Should hit points continue to be generated randomly in 4e?

• Yes

Votes: 152 32.9%
  • No

Votes: 310 67.1%

FireLance

Legend
What are the arguments for continuing to generate hit points randomly? This includes systems where the hit points you get are a mixture of fixed and random components, e.g. d4+4 for a d8 hit die.

What are the arguments for completely changing over to a fixed rate of hit point gain per level?

Branduil

Hero
Well, 3e has an optional rule for fixed hit points.

Honestly I don't see any good reason to keep random hit points. It can only hurt game balance. I guess the argument for it is so that "not every character is the same," but, if hit points are what you're using to differentiate characters something is wrong.

Glyfair

Explorer
Branduil said:
Honestly I don't see any good reason to keep random hit points.

People want it. Given a choice, most people will take it.

It's not as bad a random attributes (with a loud and vocal crowd supporting them), but it's wanted.

Right now there is no reason you can't use it, so I see no need to remove it when a lot of people want it.

Glyfair

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
I'd prefer it be random, but I'd like it to be less random. You know, fighters don't get 1d10, but 1d6+4, or something.

I forget which WotC was attached to this, but I use that method in my game.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
I've seen many people who like random hit points, because it makes levelling up more... dunno... of an event? But my group likes it and cheers after a good roll... and bad rolls are simply accepted.

Personally, I'm on the fence and don't mind either way. But if they keep the rolled, I'd like to see some dY + Y variant, to avoid making your character unplayable, and also to differentiate the classes more (because rolling a 1 with a Barbarian makes him... less Barbarian-like!).

Cheers, LT.

Crymson

First Post
I prefer random. The game would start being too cookie-cutter if random hit points (and random ability scores) were taken out.

Victim

First Post
We don't roll to see if characters get their other class features.

"Curses, my wizard rolled like crap on his magic ability again this level - now he's 6th level and only caster level 3." "No, those rolls for my Base Attack are totally legit. I know it averages to 1 per level, but I got lucky."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases