D&D 4E Should hit points continue to be generated randomly in 4e?

Should hit points continue to be generated randomly in 4e?

• Yes

Votes: 152 32.9%
  • No

Votes: 310 67.1%

icarusfallz

First Post
And yet if you played with many different people, fighters with Str values of 18/51+ abounded, and there were several who claimed to have rolled an 18/00. While 18/01 to 18/50 was relatively uncommon.

an odd aside, we once had a campaign where three characters had 18/89 strength. We rolled the characters together. Statistically improbable, but I saw it happen. I also knew a guy (and saw 2 of the three rolls) that had 3 separate characters with 18/00.

I don't mind losing random HP. It's kinda like losing the reflex save, etc. HP is the same across the board, but it gets taken away randomly... like a defense that stays the same. The onus to affect it is on the attacker.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Based only on your post, though, it would seem your problems have more to do with having choosen to create a front-line combat character who can't wear armor & not taking your DM's option for half-rounded-up hp than with random hp itself.

Allright...only 10 months for me to reply to the reply....thanks thread necromancy!!

Just because you don't wear armor doesn't mean you don't have a good AC. That particular character was a shifter druid who stayed in wolf form almost all the time. An insanely high DEX and natural armor and Mobility gave me REALLY GOOD AC scores during combat. That being said, you still have to have the HPs or the few hits that do land will still lay you out.

We have, since this post, switched to 4e. I have been unable to recreate this character so I went with a totally new one.

My goal was to create a guy who could "take as much abuse as possible".

Human Paladin 3: 46 HP. And I can continue to build on that concept with no worry of one bad die roll destroying the whole goal.

DS

Remove ads