D&D 5E Should Next reintroduce new initiative rolls every round?

Should the old rule about initiative being rerolled every round be brought back?

• Yes.

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • No.

Votes: 53 47.3%
  • Optional rule.

Votes: 43 38.4%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
My AD&D campaign uses initiative rolls every round. I occasionally pay attention to them. Yes, there are predeclared actions, and those actions often make the dice irrelevant.

The trouble is that the initiative rules are really complex. Consider:

* Charging characters attack based on Longer Weapon Length
* Bow-fire and Spells resolve depending on the initiative roll vs. casting times
* Characters with multiple attacks strike first and last, ignoring initiative against opponents with only one routine
* Weapon Speed only applies when there is a tie on initiative (I ignore the rules for weapon speed vs spell-casting).
* Movement probably delays initiative somewhat.

The fact is that working out Order of Actions in AD&D is a huge part of the DM's job. It isn't simple. And this is for a system where resolving combat actions *is* simple. (Well, except for unarmed combat. And some spells). As character actions become more complicated, having a complex initiative system on top of that just makes things slow down too much!

I'm not opposed to group initiative rerolled each round, but given modern D&D, the cyclical initiative structure gives much fewer problems, even as it requires Opportunity Attacks due to spellcasting to enter the game.

Cheers!

Ichneumon

First Post
I voted no, but could live with a decent old-skool option.

Then again, should the PCs reroll initiative if there's a major change to the battle? I think this can be argued for. I also think there's a case for a PC rerolling when they regain consciousness.

delericho

Legend
Another vote for "no" here. Though I wouldn't mind if it were provided as an optional rule, of course... but "roll once" should be the default option.

I think it should be presented as an option. It isn't as time consuming as some make it out to be if group initiative is used.

I wouldn't want to use individual initiative every round. That would be pain IMHO. Declared actions with a single roll per side would be a fine option.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
I voted Yes, just tested the option over a long period using Pathfinder when we got bored of one side winning initiative and going nova on the other. It shook things up considerably and gives a definite window for interrupting spell casting if casting times are introduced. Also subsequent actions need to happen on lower initiative sequences for example on your initiative you could do one action along with everyone else on the same initiative score. Your next action would take place on the lower initiative result so technically slightly later in the combat round. If you had a third action this again happened slightly later in the round and so on.

Problems that do occur are we found Ready actions become difficult to visualize using this system although not impossible.

Johnny Champion

First Post
Clearly this is the perfect example of a rule that should be optional. The option to roll every round can have positives for mixing up PC actions amongst each other, adding round by round tension and unpredictability, and most importantly for me at a DM, allow a good mechanic to break a spell.

But...the reason to roll once makes a lot of sense as well; for battles which tend to last for ages. It helps DMs streamline the conflict which then allows more storylines and encounters to take place in a session.

And most importantly, balance and the 5e system will NOT be affected either way.

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
Why the rush to be honest?

I would rather have 3 or 4 self fullfilling and climatic battles than have 5 sterile battles that usually go nova because most everyone in the group wins initiative.

4th edition was time consuming, rolling new initiative every round is not. You will already have your mods ready to go so all you need to do is roll that d10 and add them up.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Why the rush to be honest?

I would rather have 3 or 4 self fullfilling and climatic battles than have 5 sterile battles that usually go nova because most everyone in the group wins initiative.

4th edition was time consuming, rolling new initiative every round is not. You will already have your mods ready to go so all you need to do is roll that d10 and add them up.

Ha!

You literally can't not rip on 4e even when it has nothing to do with the topic.

Johnny Champion

First Post
My AD&D campaign uses initiative rolls every round. I occasionally pay attention to them. Yes, there are predeclared actions, and those actions often make the dice irrelevant.

The trouble is that the initiative rules are really complex. Consider:

* Charging characters attack based on Longer Weapon Length
* Bow-fire and Spells resolve depending on the initiative roll vs. casting times
* Characters with multiple attacks strike first and last, ignoring initiative against opponents with only one routine
* Weapon Speed only applies when there is a tie on initiative (I ignore the rules for weapon speed vs spell-casting).
* Movement probably delays initiative somewhat.

The fact is that working out Order of Actions in AD&D is a huge part of the DM's job. It isn't simple. And this is for a system where resolving combat actions *is* simple. (Well, except for unarmed combat. And some spells). As character actions become more complicated, having a complex initiative system on top of that just makes things slow down too much!

I'm not opposed to group initiative rerolled each round, but given modern D&D, the cyclical initiative structure gives much fewer problems, even as it requires Opportunity Attacks due to spellcasting to enter the game.

Cheers!

We do something very similar even in D&D Next. We use d6 as segment number. We also have a scheme for Dexterity modifier, though it is a bit complicated. As all characters move to multiple attacks at higher levels, initiative is no longer as relevant.

Two questions:

1. How do you handle dexterity modifiers and initiative
  2. Have you experienced a lack of importance of initiative roll with everyone having multiple attacks?

Thanks!

Remove ads