D&D (2024) Should there be variable recovery with a long rest?

Should there be more levels of rest?

• Yes, variable recovery rate is good. Let me suggest a tweak...

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No, I like the simplicity of just one long rest.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Other, I prefer something entirely different (i.e. milestones)

Votes: 5 20.8%

What I would prefer is just one type of rest that refreshes fraction of your resources. Then if you have time you can have multiple for a full refresh (there still can be limit how often you can take them.) Then it also is easy to alter whether this rest is fifteen minutes or a day or whatever to suit the pacing of your campaign.

For me, it is an all or nothing piece. They want the game streamlined, and in fact, have done a great job with making it easy and simple. Mucking up the waters, especially for something as important as regaining hit points and resources, seems a move in the wrong direction. I am fine with it being an alternative in the DMG.
My own homebrew uses a mix, and I find it works great. But healing is limited, and it takes a week to heal, which is the reason the variable method works. I think it also plays into the story better. It lets the comforts of home, a safe place, a welcoming host mean something.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It's a bit complex but this is what I use

TimeManeuver/Ki/AP RecoveryHD RecoveryHP RecoverySlots/Rage RecoveryExhaustion RecoveryMaximum HP Reset
QuickX
ShortXX
LongXXXX
FullXXXXX
ExtendedXXXXXX

Beaks give half recovery, Rests 100% recovery. Vacations give double recovery. A quick vacation, like a quick dip in a magic pool, gives your monk twice his normal Ki points.

This gives the DM control of the availability of rests and the players power to seek out and use them.

Remove ads