D&D General Should you clarify information to the detriment of the players?

p_johnston

Adventurer
So a situation came up last session (and similar ones have come up before) where I as the DM clarified information to a player in order to help them execute a plan that had a very high chance of getting them killed.

The situation last session, for example, was players trying to break into a wizards tower via gaseous form. The front door was airtight but there was a window (which i had mentioned in the description) halfway up the tower that wasn't. The problem being going in the window would leave the player halfway through the dungeon alone. While they were debating i reminded them about the window (and clarified i wasnt suggesting they use it just supplying info their character would have). They ended up using the window nd it went very badly (end result was very close to a TPK).

so my question os in situations where doing so will likely lead to character/party death do you reiterate/remind players about information that will make it easier for them to proceed with a bad plan or keep quiet?

Oofta

Legend
I give them information I think the PCs would reasonably have. If I'm uncertain if the PCs (not the players) would know, then I have them make a check of some type. In your case, it may have been a simple intelligence check with possible advantage based on background and/or previous experience. Other times it would use a skill such as Arcana, History or whatever makes sense.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I give them information I think the PCs would reasonably have. If I'm uncertain if the PCs (not the players) would know, then I have them make a check of some type. In your case, it may have been a simple intelligence check with possible advantage based on background and/or previous experience. Other times it would use a skill such as Arcana, History or whatever makes sense.

Same here. Players get the information their PCs would have access too.

The information itself is generally (though I suppose not always) neutral. It's what the players do with it that might be detrimental to them. But then again, it might be beneficial. My role is to give the players information their PCs would/should have - their role is to do what they will with it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think as long as players are armed with as much info as reasonable from the character's perspective its fine. In this case, sounds like they had a little idea what was in the tower but nothing specific. Knowing that a single character would be separated from the party should have reasonably informed them of the danger.

I did have groups for a bit that thought no matter what they tried would have a reasonable chance of success. Even when the logistics clearly indicated the opposite. In the above scenario, my groups now would likely find a plan B escape option before trying the window. If they didnt have a reasonable escape plan, they would think of something else. Experience has taught them that.

Oofta

Legend
I think the line I won't cross is telling them not to do something. I won't tell them "You really don't want to go through the window", but I would ensure they understood the potential issue like the OP. It's too easy as a DM to accidentally be too vague in my descriptions not to clarify things like this.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
It depends. I don't typically remind the pcs of things that wouldn't be glaringly obvious to the pcs. If they can see the window, I would remind them about it. If they scouted it out, noted it, and forgot about it, that's on them- unless someone took the Keen Mind feat.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I would remind the group (especially if there are new players) that splitting the party is risky. Especially when one PC is in a place the rest have a difficult time getting to.

I remind players of relevant facts their characters know they may have forgotten. It can be 2-4 weeks between sessions in some of our games, and certain facts and events mean more to the character's who experience them and actually have arcane/medical/history/whatever knowledge rather than the players who have a lot going on in their real life to maintain a detailed list of facts from their pretend playtime. So if someone trained in religion/arcana goes to cast poison spray at a skeleton, I try and give them a heads up that their character recalls that most undead are immune to poison.

I prefer to use the carrot more than the stick with remembering game events. Anyone who gives the previous session recap or adds to it starts the session with inspiration (and mine are re-rolls, making them better than standard rule).

Remove ads