Showcasing a friend's drawings - feedback appreciated

GentleGiant

Explorer
Hello all,
I told a friend of mine that I'd try and showcase some of his drawings and gather some feedback.

Now, I've been mercilessly pushing him to start drawing more and more because I know his big dream is to make some kind of living out of his art.
He's currently working construction to pay the bills (with a pregnant wife and 2 kids in the house already it's sort of necessary), but I'd love for him to be able to further his art education in the future.
From my own experience, in browsing way too many art forums, I've already given him some hints on what he could use some more experience with. This includes backgrounds (and perspective), diversification in figures, "action" shots, inking and colouring (mostly digital). The biggest hurdle so far is actually being able to take courses in those things, what with his family to support.
I'm dabbling in digital inking and colouring myself, but so far not to any degree that I'd try to ink and colour his drawings.

Anyway, I put up some of his more recent pictures on my own homepage, just to have a kind of fledgeling online portfolio until we can sit down and do a proper site for him (his wife has already bought the domain name for him).
Click here to visit that page

[imager]http://gentlegiantdk.com/images/Danny/tn_Dredd%20McBane.jpg[/imager]
tn_Corwyn.jpg

[imager]http://gentlegiantdk.com/images/Danny/tn_Galynn03.jpg[/imager]
tn_El%20Diablo.jpg

tn_Latoya.jpg

If you visit the page linked above you can see larger versions of these (and the rest of the drawings I put up).

Any feedback (good and bad) is welcome, especially from other artists and those with ties to the RPG/publishing industry! ;)
Also, feel free to ask questions, I'll try my best to answer those I can and then forward the others to my friend.

For those quick enough, you can remove the 2 in the url to see some older drawings of his. Furthermore, the link at the bottom of my signature will take you to an old portfolio of his. :D

Last edited:

GentleGiant

Explorer
A more finished version of one of the drawings have been uploaded. Click the link in the first post to go to the site and see it in its full glory!
Here's a preview:
tn_Galynn04.jpg

They're not shabby for an amateur's work, but nothing special. He does a pretty good job conveying solid shapes with his shading, but the figures are all stiff. Like with all amateur artists, he'd be best served by drawing a lot, and most importantly by doing life drawing. If he wants to be good he'll have to put a lot of effort into refining his craft; he can't just simply draw what he likes and expect to get better.

Note that this advice comes from a man with no official art training, whose work is pretty crappy, but who once dated a woman in art school.

GentleGiant

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
Note that this advice comes from a man with no official art training,... but who once dated a woman in art school.
Doesn't that pretty much qualify one for being an expert? ;)

But in general I agree with you. I'm just thinking that with the fairly solid start he already has (although "amateurish" by some standards), he should, hopefully, be able to go much further.
Ah well, I'd send him off to art school if I won the lottery. :lol:

Last edited:

Remove ads