Sialia's New Deck

GlassEye said:
These are all extremely beautiful works. They remind me of that exquisite Egyptian artwork/jewelry.

That was my reaction as well. A definite Middle Eastern feel to me. And absolutely beautiful. These just beg for a nice glossy printout. I remember a few years back I had a bunch of metallic foil overlays for the laser printer that would have been perfect for these.

And I like different backgrounds for different images. It would be like having different suits.

Sialia

First Post
Well, golly.

It's something to think about.

What I'd actually like to publish would be a book of Wondrous Objects.

I've been doodling magic items for years. It would be kind of fun to compile them.

It would be like having one of those odd little shops that just appears in an alley somewhere, sells a Mysterious Curiosity, and then is never there again when the PC comes back to look for it later.

I've always wanted to run one of those shoppes.

How would it work? Do I just make a PDF and upload it?

Bandeeto

First Post
[this is Sialia's post--I forgot I was using Bandeeto's computer]

Well, I'll think about it. Thank you for the offer.

First I think I need to finish this set. And to do that, I need to keep posting things for free for a while. The juices just don't seem to flow unless I can set these things loose on the world as they come to me. It gives me such joy to share cool things with the community that has given me so many cool ideas.

The final versions in the PDF would have the rough edges cleaned up, some explanatory box text to go with them, maybe some of the consistency issues worked out. Maybe--since this isn't really going to be a Deck of Many Things, but something else altogether--maybe some idea of the rules of how it works. Also, I'd want to replace any "borrowed elements" with things that are wholly mine from the ground up, to avoid intellectual property issues. To do that, I'd need to sort out the difference between "borrowed from" and "inspired by."

Meanwhile, the drafts are free for you to enjoy, as long as nobody else is trying to re-use them to make money without my permission.

One thing I would ask in return: if you do use these in your games or stories, I want to hear about it. What did you use them for, how did the party react, what happened.

And if you think of a product that you would like to use them in in a for-profit-venture, like a magazine or mug or t-shirt or whatever, please check in with me first.

I don't mind at all if you laser print a single copy for your own use.

Enjoy, and keep checking in. Thank you for all the kind comments, and the critiques as well.

-Sialia

Sialia

First Post
Has anyone ever remarked that the comet in the Bayeux Tapesetry looks remarkably like a star pulling a firey plow across the sky?

Heck of an image.

Attachments

• comet-celestial.jpg
    comet-celestial.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 154
  • sun-celestial.jpg
    sun-celestial.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 115
  • star-celestial.jpg
    star-celestial.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
It's true--and that comet card is a totally awesome tribute to the Bayeux tapestry; it looks just like it. I hope the guy who was complaining about 'not enough medieval imagery' in the general forum thread is reading this now :D Great work--these cards are really nice!

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hmm...the 2e Encyclopedia Magica Volume I had a special Deck of Many Things set with reversed effects for each card--that last pair could be used to represent reversed and unreversed Moons, which could be cool. Did I mention I use the Deck of Many Things too much? :D

Remove ads