• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Sigh] Retiring from RPGs. Here's why.

Mercule

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
I now run mini-campaigns, using almost exclusively published materials. Cuts down on my prep time, and I'm having fun, though it is a different kind of fun than when I was a the top of my game, crafting it all myself. The pressure isn't there, which is good, but the sense of accomplishment is lacking, too. I guess you can't have it all! :)

I'm probably running my last total homebrew. I'd just end it, but both the players and I have invested a lot into the thing.

Henceforth, I'll be doing mostly "Adventure Path" type games (which includes things like RtToEE and Rappan Athuk). Possibly on my homebrew setting. Possibly on a "cobbled as we go" setting. I'm pretty sure I could do that forever, if Age of Worms is any indication (which I'm running in alternate with my homebrew, just to give me more time to plot).

Gaps will be filled with one-shot and short run adventures with a tight plot and little to no padding or filler. But, only as the mood strikes me.

I see no real possibility of this changing until the kids are moved out.

dagger

Adventurer
Treebore said:
Why the heck do you think I switched to Castles and Crusades? You don't HAVE to give up RPG's, just switch to C&C. Seriously. Plays like your using 1E again, just better. A LOT better.

You are EXACTLY the kind of RPG player that needs to switch to C&C.

Thats why we switched, 6 years of 3e and everyone was ready.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
It is only a game, after all

With this sort of thing, there is no right or wrong way to do it. The only reason to play D&D, or any other sort of game, is if you have fun doing it. When your not having fun, time to walk away and do something else.

I would say keeping your books is a good call though.

Anyway, on the board game front, take a look at Steve Jacksons Illuminatti. Its not a typical board game (no board in fact). The game does have alot of meat to it, and it does take up a decent sized chunk of time to play. The game has a few key aspects that make it appealing though.

- The sense of humor in the game is excellent. When you have the Discordian Society controlling the Convenience stores which in turn control the Pentagon, its just funny.

- The game specifically allows atypical actions. Any sort of deal you can describe is specifically legal. You are allowed to trade all your groups for all of someone elses. Raw extortion is also legal.

- The game also states that no deal is binding unless it is immediate. Its written into the
rules that you can double cross the guy sitting next to you.

If your taking a run on board games, look into this one.

END COMMUNICATION

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads