SILENCE: Cobra Kai

Zardnaar

Legend
Binge watched two seasons of this on Netflix. It's brilliant.

What is it? It's basically a subversive sequel to the Karate Kid from the the bad guys PoV.

Unlike other recycled stuff from the 80s this one works.

Pulls on the heart strings, kind if a teen drama mixed with nostalgia mixed with action.

In some ways it's very modern, in others dragged straight out of the 80s.

This should not work conceptually but it's great.

Retreater

Legend
I didn't get to talk about it a lot because I watched it on YouTube premium, subscribing twice to watch each season when it was released. Unfortunately it didn't get the best exposure on that platform.
But I loved it!
I modeled my City of Mists character on the archetype of former bully seeking redemption, tying Johnny Lawrence and Brom Bones from Irving's Sleepy Hollow. So he literally turned in to the headless horseman. He was a fun character to play.
Lawrence really speaks to me as a character. While we weren't all bullies and karate champions, I think many of us can relate to the midlife crisis feeling we wasted our potential or didn't live up to the dreams we had when we were young and struggling to find our places in a modern world.
The show has a lot of heart, full of nostalgia, great music, great fights, humor. It's one of my favorite series.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I really enjoyed it. I thought the stories were good. The fight scenes were excellent. The mall and school scenes were very good.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I didn't expect to like this show as much as I did. I watched the first episode on a lark after it went to Netflix, and found myself binge watching the entire first season in an evening, and finishing up the second over the weekend. It's absolutely brilliant, and I can't wait for the next season. Fingers crossed they can get Hilary Swank to make an appearance!

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I didn't expect to like this show as much as I did. I watched the first episode on a lark after it went to Netflix, and found myself binge watching the entire first season in an evening, and finishing up the second over the weekend. It's absolutely brilliant, and I can't wait for the next season. Fingers crossed they can get Hilary Swank to make an appearance!
Elizabeth Shue 😛

This is me. My experience was nearly the same.

Zardnaar

Legend

Yeah this is what it did to me as well.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’d forgotten about this! Is s3 incoming?

s1 was better than s2, but I liked both a lot. The show has a good heart.

Last edited:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I'm new here--what does SILENCE mean? We can talk about the show in general terms but avoid spoilers?

I saw it and really liked it, but I don't want to break any rules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases