D&D 5E Silvery Barbs, how would you fix it? Does it need fixing?

darjr

I crit!
Silvery Barbs is a spell from Strixhaven that is a reaction to cast, forces a reroll, and then grants advantage.

ThinkDM says he’d ban the spell.

I’d rather find a way to fix it.

But how?

Bolares

Hero
About the Legendary resistances:

Silvery Barb grants you a reroll. But Legendary resistances doesn't care what you rolled, it makes you succed the ST. Let's say I rolled a 5 in my ST and used a legendary resistance. You make me reroll that 5, and I get a 1. Well, ok, I still succeed the ST because legendary resistances let's me ignore the roll, no matter what I get in it.

He assumes barb makes you roll another saving throw, but that's not the case, you just roll the dice in your previous ST again.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I saw that thread.... he waaaay overeacts in it (maybe for views. The spell is strong (about as strong as shield) but not broken. It does not do what peiople think it does to legendary resistances.
Agreed. It's a super-useful utility spell, but ultimately it's still just a probability shift.

I look at it this way; if shield hadn't been in the PHB but introduced in a later book, the cries to disallow or nerf it would be extreme. That doesn't mean shield as it currently exists is broken.

Bolares

Hero
Agreed. It's a super-useful utility spell, but ultimately it's still just a probability shift.

I look at it this way; if shield hadn't been in the PHB but introduced in a later book, the cries to disallow or nerf it would be extreme. That doesn't mean shield as it currently exists is broken.
Yeah, while barb has more uses, it lacks the garantee of success of shield. They are about the same.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Why does it also grant advantage?!

It is already very strong bordering on overpowered with the first part.

If we are changing it lets start by removing the advantage.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases