D&D 5E Simulacrum

Adb0782

Explorer
One thing i still dont get about simulacrum: can the simulacrum i created copying my character cast simulacrum copying my character as well? Its not considered as im the caster? (it would be totally broke, i dont have any intention to become a sort of new rick sanchez and create a simulacrum army lol, im just curious to know if its RAW to do something like this, bcs i found nothing in the spell saying it cant and it looks kinda weird, as it mean i can theoretically create infinity simulacrum lol and the spell seem clearly intented for make me get only one simulacrum for time).

And also, it supposed to dont REGAIN spell slots, but can he RECOVER them with arcane recovery? As it should have the ability being a copy with halved hp, while "regain" and "recover" seem were intentionally used with 2 different meanings, so that made me think this way.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
One thing i still dont get about simulacrum: can the simulacrum i created copying my character cast simulacrum copying my character as well? Its not considered as im the caster? (it would be totally broke, i dont have any intention to become a sort of new rick sanchez and create a simulacrum army lol, im just curious to know if its RAW to do something like this, bcs i found nothing in the spell saying it cant and it looks kinda weird, as it mean i can theoretically create infinity simulacrum lol and the spell seem clearly intented for make me get only one simulacrum for time).

And also, it supposed to dont REGAIN spell slots, but can he RECOVER them with arcane recovery? As it should have the ability being a copy with halved hp, while "regain" and "recover" seem were intentionally used with 2 different meanings, so that made me think this way.
For the first point, it depends.

One could make the argument that the Simulacrum is a whole separate entity and is therefore eligible for chaining. Indeed, the Adventure's League even references this so its possible this interpretation is RAW.

The safer interpretation, to me, is that the Simulacrum, being an exact copy, also copies the state of "having casted simulacrum" and if the simulacrum attempts casting the spell, it counts as the second time and therefore gets rid of them.

As to the second point, it feels 100% clear the Simulacrum gets nothing by doing anything even if their features let them.

FarBeyondC

Explorer

As Asisreo mentioned above, the safest interpretation is that the status of "having cast simulacrum" carries over to the simulacrum of yourself (just like the status of not having the spell slot you used to cast simulacrum would carry), so the simulacrum can't cast the spell again.

Of course, there's still a way to do an arbitrary number of simulacra, but it requires two other individuals capable of using the spell (who trust each other a lot), which may be a big ask in normal groups.

No means of regaining, restoring, or otherwise reacquiring the lost spell slot should work (whether internal or external), though there's a couple of potential loopholes that I'm personally on the fence about (True Polymorph).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin

Yeah, the spell is worded poorly.

Yes, RAW, a simulacrum can make another copy of you. If you have another 7th level slot (or Wish) at the time, the new simulacrum has them as well and can use either to make another simulacrum of you, etc. so you can have a near infinite number of simulacrums given enough time.

Intent: any beast or humanoid can have one simulacrum.
RAW: you can only have one simulacrum you've created at a time.

No, Arcane Recovery would not work as its purpose is to recovery expended spell slots--which the simulacrum spell explicitly prohibits.

jgsugden

Legend
There are not many lines I draw in D&D to limit players, but this is one of the most firm.

In my setting, the wizard that first came up with the idea of copying a person did really bad things with the capability. As a result, great powers stepped in and made a dictum. That dictum is revealed to spellcasters that learn spells like Simulacrum or Clone. One copy of a person at a time. Period. There is an "in game" group that makes sure nothing funny takes place.

Adb0782

Explorer
There are not many lines I draw in D&D to limit players, but this is one of the most firm.

In my setting, the wizard that first came up with the idea of copying a person did really bad things with the capability. As a result, great powers stepped in and made a dictum. That dictum is revealed to spellcasters that learn spells like Simulacrum or Clone. One copy of a person at a time. Period. There is an "in game" group that makes sure nothing funny takes place.
Well, i wouldnt allow to play multiple simulacrum as well, it was just something about i was curious, bcs RAW seem it perfectly work and it make really no sense.

One could make the argument that the Simulacrum is a whole separate entity and is therefore eligible for chaining. Indeed, the Adventure's League even references this so its possible this interpretation is RAW.

AL rules forbid chaining Simulacrum, but the RAW in the book doesn't. It really should, though.

I mean, there's this in the rules:
"If you cast this spell again, any currently active duplicates you created with this spell are instantly destroyed."

Which kinda means, even with the most lax and benign interpretation of the spell, you can never have more simulacra than 7th leven spell slots (plus wish), right?

"If you cast this spell again, any currently active duplicates you created with this spell are instantly destroyed."

Which kinda means, even with the most lax and benign interpretation of the spell, you can never have more simulacra than 7th leven spell slots (plus wish), right?
The problem is you aren't casting it. Your simulacrum is.

Asisreo

Patron Badass

Indeed, and they get ever weaker and have less available Spell Slots every time.

In a game where the components are truly rare, you can best hope for a single Simulacrum without their 8th level slot.

Don't underestimate the action economy, though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases