D&D 5E Sing to me of Box Sets, what cool things have been in them, what cool things do you want in them?

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
The flip book adventure in the original Dark Sun box set is actually a thing of genius. When I first started Dark Sun I thought it too fiddle but I still pull it out even now to think of ways to organize my adventures and what would help players visualize the environment. I still love all the standees and ship cards from the original Spelljammer.
I do think that the digital component for a ‘box set‘ should be thought about. You need maps and art and cool things that can be manipulated on screen as well as at table.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I share the love for box sets and my gaming closet is chock full of them.

One of my favorites is the Menzoberranzan box set. Great maps, portraits, plot items - really well thought out.

The Planescape boxed sets are good too, along with Al Qadim.

Lastly, shout out to Castle Whiterock!

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
B&G too expensive, for not enough stuff I actually want.

What I'd like in a box set would be:
Multiple large maps (60cm x 90cm preferred - that's ~24x36" in Imperial measurement), with a saddle stitched gazeteer for each one. Preferably for parts of Faerun that haven't been covered.

I would really like Sea of Fallen Stars environs - maybe broken up into 4 maps - North West (Cormyr, Dalelands); NorthEast (Narfell, Thay, Aglarond); SouthEast (Mulhorand, Chessenta) and SouthWest (Chondath, Turmish, Dragon Coast).

Or one that covers the Shining Sea area like Tethys, Amn, Lake of Steam, The Shaar, etc.

3catcircus

Adventurer
B&G too expensive, for not enough stuff I actually want.

What I'd like in a box set would be:
Multiple large maps (60cm x 90cm preferred - that's ~24x36" in Imperial measurement), with a saddle stitched gazeteer for each one. Preferably for parts of Faerun that haven't been covered.

I would really like Sea of Fallen Stars environs - maybe broken up into 4 maps - North West (Cormyr, Dalelands); NorthEast (Narfell, Thay, Aglarond); SouthEast (Mulhorand, Chessenta) and SouthWest (Chondath, Turmish, Dragon Coast).

Or one that covers the Shining Sea area like Tethys, Amn, Lake of Steam, The Shaar, etc.
If you have the means, I highly recommend getting the old FR Interactive Atlas and its updates (some of the maps in Update 3 actually break the maps and need to be backed out). Available on Ebay, used for like $150.

Its ugly, and many of the smaller maps linked into it need the original publication for the background, but it is probably the best source of actual info. And easy enough to print to whatever size you want.

3catcircus

Adventurer
So here are a select grouping of photos from one part of my multiple RPG shelves. Notice how much more space the 4e style Gamma World box takes on the shelf compared to hardback RPG books.

Now, I will direct your attention to the Beadle and Grimm box set. It dwarfs the dimensions of of the Gamma World box set, and the Beadle and Grimm box is significantly larger than the 3e Magic of Eberron book used as comparison.

Beadle and Grimm’s Descent into Avernus is slightly smaller than B&G’s Dragon Heist, but not by much, and neither fit on the built in bookshelves that I have.

While almost all of my 40+ year old 1e books have traveled with me to multiple residences over my lifetime, neither the Greyhawk Box, nor the grey Forgotten Realms boxed survived.

The Night Below box and Athlas box did not survive past high school.

Not everyone lives forever in one home, with sufficient custom space to store big boxes like B&G Platinum sets and Gloomhaven on bookcases or shelving units.

That might be your situation 3cat, but politely, I suggest if that is the case, it is a rarified circumstance.
See - that's where I'd move hardbacks to stack them flat on top of the row of books to make room for boxed sets.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases