• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Single player playtest report.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
I ran a 4e playtest with my 12-year old. She played a pregenerated human fighter. The adventure was pretty simple; some goblins stole a child from the village taking it to a nearby abandoned keep, she had to go out and retrieve said child. I wanted to a) get a feel for the rules before running with my regular group and b) see how easily the game could scale for a smaller group. This was pretty much a combat/system test so was light on the roleplaying.

Encounter One
There was a goblin sharpshooter hiding in the tree outside of the keep's doors. Unfortunately, she had no ranged weapons, so this battle involved her climbing the tree and knocking the sharpshooter out of it, then taking the battle to the ground.

Encounter Two
Probably the simplest encounter, vs. a fire beetle. She had her character use Steel Serpent Strike to slow the beetle then opened up with Brute Strike (a daily that does 3x damage) and laid waste to the beetle after a couple of rounds.

Encounter Three
A hallway with several tunnels leading off of it, which were used to travel around by 4 goblin cutters (minions). Cleave really shinrf here, and she took out all four pretty quickly and easily.

Encounter Four
A pit trap at the far end of a hallway. Though she didn't see the pit trap, she didn't fall into it either. Down below were four skeletons. She opted to suck up the 1d10 falling damage and leap down into the pit to hack apart the skeletons, from which she pilfered a shortbow. This would be the last battle where she didn't at least go unconscious.

Encounter Five
I should point out now that, despite her character having a pretty low Thievery skill, she was able to pick locks pretty darned easily.

1 goblin warrior. She ended up going down, but made her save against death and was able to use a second wind to get up. This was a pretty tough fight, but not as tough as the final battle.

Encounter Six
A goblin hexer and four goblin cutter minions. This one got vicious; at one point, the hexer had her blind and unable to move without taking damage. Hexers also have a VERY nasty power that I couldn't make proper use of due to the fact that she didn't have any other characters along...but even without it, it was a nasty, very long (round-wise..time-wise it went pretty quickly) and protracted battle. She went down twice during this combat, the first time managing to get back onto her feet thanks to another 20 on the death save. The second time, she made her save, but couldn't heal up, so she got captured and stripped of all equipment.

(Speaking of saves, I was a little worried about the 50% chance to shake stuff off originally, but after seeing it in action, it's a pretty good mechanic)

Another series of good rolls and she got free of her ropes and was able to pick the lock. I did give her a little advantage here and said that she'd been unconscious for about 6 hours (long enough for her to get an extended rest and refresh both her hit points and her daily powers. Even with that, this was a difficult battle, especially before she was able to get her weapons (her acrobatic skill rolls to leap over the goblin were nowhere nearly as good as her rolls to pick locks). She was blinded and "stuck in place" at least two more times. The thing that really saved her was the "reliable" ability of her Brute Strike, which meant that when she missed the first time she tried to use it, it wasn't used up and she managed to use it later to great effect.

She did forget to use her action points unless I reminded her, and didn't bother with marking since there was nobody else for the goblins to attack.

She almost bought it again, but managed to come out ahead. It was a pretty intense (and long) fight, even after she got her weapons back (but, of course, she didn't have time to slip on her armor) Goblin hexers, BTW, will screw up a group of combatants. Very vicious, nasty little buggers.

She got enough XP to hit 2nd level (I did throw a little extra her way because I wanted to level the character up), and took a fighter utility daily power that grants regeneration when bloodied, which is awesome in a can, and Alertness which, in 4e negates surprise round combat advantage and gives a bonus to perception. This is awesome 'cause it'll help a lot vs. stupid rogues and their sneak attack damage.

Overall, I liked it. A lot. She thought it was a little complex, which leaves me scratching my head since she didn't think 3e was complex...

Nightchilde-2 said:
Overall, I liked it. A lot. She thought it was a little complex, which leaves me scratching my head since she didn't think 3e was complex...
How much play experience with 3E did she have? What levels?

I think 3E is low on complexity at low levels, but it increases a lot due to various buffs and spells interacting with each other, and the magical equipment.

And 3E Fighters off course did have a little less choices to make - you sure could use trip, disarm, grapple, sunder and bullrush, but you rarely did, unless you specialized in it. In 4E, you are basically forced to pick the power you use every round, and most of the time, you get some special attack.

med stud

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:
Encounter Four
A pit trap at the far end of a hallway. Though she didn't see the pit trap, she didn't fall into it either. Down below were four skeletons. She opted to suck up the 1d10 falling damage and leap down into the pit to hack apart the skeletons, from which she pilfered a shortbow. This would be the last battle where she didn't at least go unconscious.
That's raw! The lone dwarf in a hostile dungeon risking a broken leg for the opportunity to fight against superior odds. I wish my players had more of that spirit ;)

That One Guy

First Post
M_R's got a good point, I think 4e level 1 is about as complex as mid level sweet spot 3e. That said, was the implication about the complexity a negative thing? Was it like, "It was complex, but after I got the hang of it I had fun" or a "It was difficult to keep track of things and too complex?" ...or a middle ground? ^^

Also, that sounds like it was a good adventure and a fun story too.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Great adventure!

I love the idea of these one-shot short duration adventures. I hope there's some sort of market for $1 two hour one-on-one adventures. I know I'd buy!

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Great story! Reminds me quite a lot of one of my first D&D experiences - I had similar amounts of fun and it brought me to carry on playing.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
How much play experience with 3E did she have? What levels?

She played 3.x for a couple of years with us off and on, I think up to about 9th level and she's played the minis game for like 3 years as well, so she's got a little experience under her belt. She normally played druids, but of course, not really an option with 4e RAW.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
That One Guy said:
M_R's got a good point, I think 4e level 1 is about as complex as mid level sweet spot 3e. That said, was the implication about the complexity a negative thing? Was it like, "It was complex, but after I got the hang of it I had fun" or a "It was difficult to keep track of things and too complex?" ...or a middle ground? ^^

Also, that sounds like it was a good adventure and a fun story too.

I think, for her, it was more of an observation than any sort of negative. Sometimes, it's hard to tell with her...pre-teens these days and all that. :D But since she wants to play again, it couldn't have been TOO much of a negative comment. She was blown away at first at how tough the non-minion goblins were hit-point wise.

The adventure took me about 20 seconds to conceptualize, and about 15 minutes to write up. Fortunately, the way 4e handles the whole encounter-building setup, it's simple and easy. And as for treasure, there are excellent guidelines in the DMG for increasing or decreasing the treasure based on party size. Also, she loved the armor she got as her magical loot; a suit of +1 chain delver's armor (grants a +2 bonus to saving throws).

I did forget about the other effects of marking (the free attack thing). D'OH! She probably would've been using it had I rememberd it.

That One Guy

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:
I think, for her, it was more of an observation than any sort of negative. Sometimes, it's hard to tell with her...pre-teens these days and all that. :D But since she wants to play again, it couldn't have been TOO much of a negative comment. She was blown away at first at how tough the non-minion goblins were hit-point wise.

The adventure took me about 20 seconds to conceptualize, and about 15 minutes to write up. Fortunately, the way 4e handles the whole encounter-building setup, it's simple and easy. And as for treasure, there are excellent guidelines in the DMG for increasing or decreasing the treasure based on party size. Also, she loved the armor she got as her magical loot; a suit of +1 chain delver's armor (grants a +2 bonus to saving throws).

I did forget about the other effects of marking (the free attack thing). D'OH! She probably would've been using it had I rememberd it.
Radness. I'm glad she has fun and wants to play again. I'm glad I checked about the observation, then... 'cause I wasn't sure if it was negative or merely an assessment. Hope she gets some good use out of marking and that Delver's armor next time around.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads