• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sins of Our Fathers - 2/10 - Final Update

Lela

First Post
Destan said:
Behind the DM Screen
I have a feeling my two-week hiatus may have caused some readers to head off to other pastures. I'm gonna endeavor to win you back with more frequent updates, real-life willing.

One of the great benifits of the subscribe feature. Just imagine the work of keeping up with a Story Hour before that amazing feature. I shudder to think how others may have suffered before my time.

Of course, some would be worth it. Like this one.

Thanks Destan!

Oh, not that I don't want/crave/need frequent updates. Just that I, on occation, will understand if they come up. ;)

papa_laz

First Post
Destan, despite the apparent disadvantage of what you consider a simple plot, you have still managed to write the best story hour i've ever read. It has been a catpivating read, and I love the grim 'kill or be killed' atmosphere you have created.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Destan, I think I can speak with some authority for the majority of readers present when I say that we don't care if you were playing Whist to resolve conflicts...the story is wonderful.

Similarly, keep the pacing just as it is. One of the story hour's greatest charms are the characterizations. Every character gets some screen time, and they're all interesting. Just keep doing what you're doing.

I will say this is one of the best Story Hours on the boards, but it's not a contest, folks. Every story hour has it's fans, and even Wyre has it's detractors. That's why the voting feature was removed, in fact, to encourage new story hours. As far as I'm concerned, the more story hours the better.

Great Stuff, as usual, Destan. Write on! :)

Last edited:

darkbard

Legend
sorry if i caused any ill feelings by drawing comparisons between story hours--if so, it was completely inadvertent. my intention was simply to heap praise on two great tales.

thanks for another great [albeit short] update. despite your reluctance to reveal what levels the characters currently are [or even who is still alive], any chance of posting stats for the characters as they enter the 3e phase of your game?

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
WizarDru said:
Destan, I think I can speak with some authority for the majority of readers present when I say that we don't care if you were playing Whist to resolve conflicts...the story is wonderful.

Hmm...I can see that my players have let the cat out of the bag, so to speak, regarding our old rules system. On the whole, Whist really is a powerful gaming device. :)

Originally posted by darkbard
sorry if i caused any ill feelings by drawing comparisons between story hours--if so, it was completely inadvertent. my intention was simply to heap praise on two great tales.

Not at all! On the contrary, I feel honored to be compared to Sep's story hour - in whatever light. I'm a reader, too!

any chance of posting stats for the characters as they enter the 3e phase of your game?

I wish I could, but I'm afraid I don't have their sheets from the transition. I'll ask around, but that may be a tall order. Part of me likes keeping the mechanics hidden behind the curtain, but the other part of me knows how I enjoy to sift through the Rogue's Gallery to check the stats of the characters I read about. I'll see what I can do.

Originally posted by papa_lez
I love the grim 'kill or be killed' atmosphere you have created.

As we shall see, my players may not always agree. <insert cackle>

Finally, it's great to see some new faces pop up on the boards. And I certainly appreciate those folks who have been around since this fledgling story hour first attempted flight, as ungainly as such may be. Story hours are made and unmade, I think, by the posted comments (or lack thereof) of the ENWorld community. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It all boils down to this, folks: Thank you.

D

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
Destan said:

As we shall see, my players may not always agree. <insert cackle>

Yeah, I kinda understand. Though it's a little different in my group.

My players don't mind the kill part. It's the be killed part they have a problem with. Kinda hypocritical really.:rolleyes:

:D

Last edited:

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Pigs & Crowns

The party was a day’s ride from Olgotha Mound when winter made an unseasonably early appearance. Clouds the color of despair came sweeping southward across the Reaversward, blanketing the land in a snowy mantle. Raylin used the weather to replenish the group’s stores; he bagged a brace of coneys in short order with a shortbow apparently reserved for such a purpose. Vath, who could only stomach meat, was especially grateful for Raylin’s rabbits – two of which he immediately ate, uncooked.

Yet the cold had left the land nearly as quickly as it arrived, changing the new-fallen snow into a drab slush. On the third day of travel the companions crested a ridge to stare once more into the Valley of Ul’Daegol. The turf, springy as a sponge from the melted snow, was a veritable quagmire beneath them – their descent lasted the better part of the morning.

Nearly all signs of Aramin’s camp had vanished – the canvas tent, the bolts of cloth, the wooden chests, the furs and pillows. Gone, all gone. John walked amongst the dragon’s bones like a man reviewing the site of a lost battle. He peered into the back of a wagon resting forlornly in the mire, then spat. “Empty. The Rornman’s serving boy must have packed everything and left after we departed for Olgotha.” John kicked a half-buried tankard in disgust. “The whelp knew, one way or another, his master was not returning.”

Raylin nodded from where he knelt studying the ground. The recent snowfall, and its subsequent melting, covered any signs of the youth’s trail. “He is gone.”

“Aye. And gone, too, are any crowns the damned Rornman may have been hoarding.” John sighed audibly and collapsed onto the wagon’s tongue. “Just once,” he held up a finger, “I would have liked to fill my purse without having to defeat anything more dangerous than a serving boy.”

Kellus shrugged. “Much of the day yet remains – if we leave now we might reach Ciddry within two days’ time.”

“Fine.” John stood and walked toward his own mount. “But there is little to purchase within that town – I saw not one lady, maid or matron, worthy of my lyre. We shall be forced to head elsewhere to properly spend our coins.”

“Your trysts can wait. We have other questions which must be answered first.” Kellus gazed upon Amelyssan. The elf was silent, huddled deep within his robes, the cowl of his cloak hiding his countenance. Margate’s Staff was strapped to his saddle, still wrapped in blankets and furs.

John followed the priest’s look. He frowned. “Elf, you have spoken little, ate less. Yet you say that ungodly staff does not affect you?”

Amelyssan looked up. The bags under his eyes were pronounced shadows. “Not yet. No. But it calls to me.”

Vath strode forward, ignoring the suddenly-agitated horses of his companions. “Give it to me. I shall break it.”

“Thank you, but no.” Amelyssan shook his head, lips pursed. “We have discussed this, Brother Vath. We have no idea what would happen should you sunder the staff.”

Baden grunted. “It would break.”

“We do not know that.” Kellus looked from the Amelyssan to the Axemarch dwarf. “Are you willing to risk freeing Ippizicus?”

“For all we know, the demon is already free.” The party had heard Kellus tell of the shadowy form that had appeared within the yellow mists upon Olgotha Mound. They had searched the summit after slaying the last of the dwem, but the unnatural fog had dissipated by that time, leaving no trace of any creatures stranger than dead dwem.

Baden studied Amelyssan for a long moment before scowling. “The staff poisons him, mark my words. And it calls to him, like some thing alive?” At Amelyssan’s weary nod, Baden spat. “Who shall say when the burden will be too heavy for him to bear?”

Kellus nodded. “All the more reason why we should not linger. We must find someone who can tell us more of the staff.”

“And then we shall destroy it,” Vath finished.

“Perhaps,” allowed Amelyssan, softly. Perhaps not.

Raylin was content to silently study the man and his pigs for some time. The scene was one which had been played and replayed across central Valusia for countless seasons. The swineherd was alone, Raylin knew with a woodsman’s certainty, and most likely had driven his score of hogs this far from Ciddry seeking pannage prior to the coming winter.

The field was dappled with sunlight, the air almost warm, and the smell of sea on the west wind. In short, it was a beautiful morning. Raylin folded his arms and leaned against the bole of a towering fir. The ranger knew his companions – waiting behind him in the fastness of the forest – would soon worry or wonder at the delay. But, if only for a handful of heartbeats, Raylin reveled in the repetitive natural cycle and mankind’s place within it.

Only when a particularly brazen sow nearly ate the toe of his boot did Raylin step forward to reveal himself. “Ale and warmth, friend,” he said, striding into the clearing with empty palms heavenward. “I am Raylin mac Larren, a Black Rider, down from the Reaversward.”

Raylin was ready for any number of reactions from the swineherd – most of them derivatives of astonishment or fear. He did not, however, expect joy.

The swineherd’s head snapped up at Raylin’s call. The man listened, mouth agape, before doffing his woolen cap. “So you are, so you are!” The man slapped his cap against his thigh and showed a gap-toothed smile. “Damned if I didna’ put two apples on the Harvest Mother’s trestle this very morning, praying I’d be the first to find you.”

Raylin frowned, confused. “Find me?”

“Indeed I did!” The man smacked his cap against his knee again as if in exclamation. “You see - some dandy come into town but two days’ past, dressed in the fop and finery o’ Val Hor. Last night at the Guildman’s, he says to anyone that was listening to be on the look-out for some travelers. Says one of them might be a Larrenman. Says four crowns would go to him that first brings word o’ them.”

The farmer positively beamed, apparently still surprised at his good fortune. “And old Breof was listening, thanks be to Lady Chauntea.”

Raylin nodded slowly. “Well, Master Breof, it appears you have earned your gold.”

Raylin waited patiently while the party, drawn by the swineherd’s laughter, entered the field leading their mounts. His companions studied the man with guarded expressions. Save for Vath; the half-troll’s chin was wet with slaver as he stared at the chortling pigs.

Raylin once more addressed the farmer. “Tell me, if you would - do you know why this Valudian* seeks us?”

“I do not,” Breof admitted. He seemed not to care.

The farmer looked upon the rest of the party like a man measuring his wealth. His eyes widened when he first realized Baden was a dwarf. They grew even larger, if such was humanly possible, when he gazed upon Vath. His tone was bit more reserved when he continued. “Will you all be headin’ to Ciddry, then?”

“We will.” Raylin accepted the reins of his horse from Kellus’ outstretched hand. “Lead on, Master Breof. We are as anxious to meet this man as you are.”

“Oh,” laughed Breof, suddenly carefree once more, “I doubt that.”

* Valudians are those citizens of the White Empire of Val Hor. This is decidedly different than Valusians, a term which applies to all peoples of the Valusian Isle in its entirety. Regrettably confusing, I know.

Last edited:

Lela

First Post

“Oh,” laughed Breof, suddenly carefree once more, “I doubt that.”

Well, there's an ominious closing line. Very well done Destan.

That staff is going to be the bane of their existance. I do wonder, though, what would happen if our elven friend were to smack someone with it?

Last edited:

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Ciddry Revisited

It took the party an hour to make the journey from the forested meadow to the town of Ciddry. It took John less than half that to realize he hated Breof’s pigs as much as he did the Rornman they had left dead on Olgotha’s altar stone.

The infernal beasts continually got beneath the hooves of his mount, causing the Pellman no end of exasperation. He was forced to adjust his seat and jerk his reins numerous times. His companions had prudently dismounted, but he was not yet ready to walk alongside the mud-covered swineherd and his charge.

Their return to civilization – if the backwater of Ciddry could be called such - was not at all what John had envisioned. If Laughing Luke and the others could only see me now, John mused. Why, they’d break their lutes over my head. And rightly so.

Breof, blessedly, deposited the hogs with his wife and four sons outside the Coastgate after informing everyone – with a regrettably loud voice - that he had found ‘the rich man’s quarry.’ The swineherd’s family swarmed about John and companions. They were as annoyingly underfoot as the pigs had been, and equally covered in offal. John found it difficult to ascertain where pigs ended and men began.

“It appears his whole brood is like to dance from joy,” John whispered to Kellus. For a horrifying moment John thought Breof’s woman, smelling of poultry and pork, was about to hug his boot. It was nearly too much to bear.

For his own part, Kellus enjoyed the show. He found himself smiling as he watched the ebullient commoners. His own voice was pitched low. “Four crowns is no paltry sum for a pig farmer, John of Pell.”

John deigned not to reply, but rather stared stoically ahead as the party continued onward past the crowd of commoners.

The guardsmen atop the Coastgate looked upon them with suspicion. With suspicion, that is, until Breof grandly announced just who they were. Immediately thereafter a sergeant strode forward from the sally port and gestured for them to pass under the portcullis. “No, no – you need not pay.”

The man’s largesse only served to further sour John’s mood. I have traded my reputation as a dashing Pellman for a handful of coppers. The bard looked away from Kellus to seek a better audience for his complaints. He eyed Baden – the dwarf glanced about with wide eyes; the towns of men apparently still held some pleasing novelty for him. John sighed.

Breof and Raylin conferred quietly with a stableman inside the gates. At Raylin’s urging, John reluctantly dismounted and handed his reins to the pock-marked teen. The party took a few moments to remove various items from their saddlebags. Amelyssan was practically reverent in the way he pulled the staff free from his own harness. Then, without further delay, the companions fell in behind Breof as he led them into town.

“The stables will not charge us to tend our mounts,” Raylin remarked, “at least for the remainder of this day.”

“Lovely,” John quipped. “Doubtless all of them will be sharing a drink with Breof, and the pig farmer’s new-found crowns, this very evening. This Tower Sage has much to answer for.”

The party ignored his comment. Breof, for his part, became a veritable tour guide. He gestured toward a rusted gibbet and explained it was the abode for a merchant, Harold Pimplobeen, who had once betrayed the town by opening the gates to Gordian raiders. The swineherd ushered them past a fountain, the water surprisingly clean, and pointed to an iron torch set at the base of a weathered statue. “That torch never goes out, mark my words as truth. Been burnin’ for nigh on three decades.”

“A rather simple dweomer,” John commented. But Breof, like his companions, seemed adept at ignoring him. Insufferable.

The day was not a market day, bless Tymora, so John was not forced to wind his way through additional throngs of Ciddry’s townsfolk. The entourage made their way toward the opposite end of town, past wooden buildings as glum and non-descript as those few citizens they passed. They halted before a large, two-story structure – one of the few buildings within Ciddry fashioned entirely of stone.

“Wait here, good sirs,” Breof instructed, smiling like a cat. The farmer marched into the inn with the air of a triumphant general.

John stood in an ensuing silence made uncomfortable from recent memory. The last time the party had been within the Guildsman’s Inn they had agreed to Aramin’s offer of employment. John struggled to forget the Rornman. The bard turned his mind and eyes to a number of gulls as the birds flew above the inn’s flat roof, seemingly suspended in midair by the constant winds off the Conomora.

The party needed not wait long. Breof returned, meaty fist clenched around coins, with a man in tow behind him.

Poridel Poriden, Tower Sage of Val Hor, appeared an icon of comfortable prosperity. He was perhaps a handful of years past his prime and a handful of pounds overweight. His teeth were only slightly stained from smoke and drink, and his hair only partially white – mostly at his temples. Soft gray robes of Larren wool covered his frame, the pearl-colored tower marking him as a Valudian sage emblazoned upon his breast.

“Ale and warmth, friends,” the sage greeted them with a smile. Much like Aramin had once done, John mused. The bard was in a distrustful mood. “I am Poridel Poriden, lately of Val Hor. I trust you shall forgive me for seeking you in such a manner.”

John glanced from Poridel to Breof. “Not likely.”

The sage laughed. “Aye, well, you have my apologies.” He turned to Breof, offered his thanks, and watched the swineherd depart before once again eyeing the party. His face grew serious. “We must talk, and soon. But not here.”

John shook his head. He had heard this type of talk before. “Sage Poriden, please understand we are tired and hungry. Though my companions may do without,” John glanced at Vath, “I would very much like nothing more than to wash the stink from me.”

“Certainly,” Poridel agreed. “I only wish to speak with you. I have secured the top floor of this fine establishment and would be honored if the lot of you would join me for dinner.” The sage’s gaze stopped upon John. “After you have bathed, of course.”

Kellus nodded. “We are not averse to conversation, Sage. But we would know the intent of your summons, if it could be called such.”

Poridel’s eyes were somber. “I wish to discuss matters you will find important. Again, forgive my rather churlish means of finding you, but I needed to be sure I located you before…before others might have.”

Amelyssan’s eyes were clouded. He leaned upon the blanketed staff and spoke for the first time since entering the town. “These matters you wish to discuss. Do they deal with-”

Poridel showed his palm. “They do. But, again, now is not the time nor the place to speak of such things.” He looked to John. “I have a flask of Arn brandy upstairs, and have had a hog on the spit since morning, in the hopes of your safe return.”

“One of Breof’s pigs, I presume?” John’s voice was even, but his mood was significantly brighter from the mention of Arn brandy. Expensive spirits, that. Well worth wasting the evening in conversations that would most certainly be filled with riddles and tales of long-dead Tarn Calian bishops.

Poridel's laughter came easily. “Actually, yes – the pig was one of Master Breof’s. I trust it shall not taste any worse because of it?”

“On the contrary,” John answered with conviction, “nothing would give me greater pleasure.”

Last edited:

Remove ads