D&D General Sir Plane "Not Appearing in this Cosmology"

Hot take: Because most of us don't really care about planes.
In D&D, they serve as somewhere for summoned creatures and other alien monsters to come from. But to go to? Okay for a short visit, but not much point in staying there for any length of time.

Planes are like planets in pulp sci fi. They take one feature and exaggerate it to massive proportions. The "planet of" trope. Planet of trees, planet of water, planet of fire, planet of proud warriors, planet of pretty 3D VFX, planet of sand (I don't like sand).

So, once you have done the planet/plane of the week it's time to warp on to somewhere else.

I think players tend to like the comfortable familiarity of GenericFantasyland(TM) too.

Because the planes are boring when finite. Adding endless amounts of boredom does not suddenly spark joy.
Well that is a terrible answer. You have basically just spotlighted your own ignorance.

If you wanted to make this argument, you should probably at least frame it around the planes that are actually like this. Many/most are not.

dave2008

Legend
I think a problem with the upper planes is that they are inherently good, and that this is assumed to apply to all of their inhabitants.
This implies that any guardians guarding access to gods or holy artifacts will be acting understanding and benign, and if the players explain that they are on a quest to do a good thing, they will be ushered through and given any assistance they need.

There's not just no villains there, it's hard to even think of any kinds of obstacles to get into the PCs' way.
I will point out that 4e didn't have that assumption. The divine dominions in 4e did not assume all inhabitants were good, there were specifically a mix as they were no longer alignment based.

Well that is a terrible answer. You have basically just spotlighted your own ignorance.

If you wanted to make this argument, you should probably at least frame it around the planes that are actually like this. Many/most are not.
Either, your planes are strongly themed, as I mentioned in my earlier post. In which case an infinite amount of more of the same kind of stuff is pretty much the definition of boring. Or, your infinite planes include infinite possibilities. In which case, every possibility exists on the plane you are on now, so there is no point in traveling to another one, which includes all of the same stuff that is on your current plane.

You know what space is full of? Empty space.

Last edited:

Either, your planes are strongly themed, as I mentioned in my earlier post. In which case an infinite amount of more of the same kind of stuff is pretty much the definition of boring. Or, your infinite planes include infinite possibilities. In which case, every possibility exists on the plane you are on now, so there is no point in traveling to another one, which includes all of the same stuff that is on your current plane.

You know what space is full of? Empty space.
Well, it is not like you’re expected to adventure in the entire infinite plane. If it has a strong theme, that should be good enough for adventure/campaign to that plain.

Incenjucar

Legend
Wait, what? I never heard that. Might have to bail on all hope for 5.5e if true.
"strong" might be overstating it, but there are multiple nods to it in the materials. They're bringing back Planescape-style tieflings, adding a new Plane-Touched race based on guardinals, and Sigil is noted as where Common came from and where humans spread to the many worlds from.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases