Six From Gate Pass - A War of the Burning Sky Campaign (3.5)

The Bashar

First Post
Hrimr turns his head to Alric as he lays down on his roll.

"My hold, Granite Hold, has a long tradition of Dwarves becoming Druids. Most other Holds do not. Those Dwarves who wish to serve usually join the service of Moradin, the Dwarven All Father. We would probably still do that as well were it not for what happened.

Some 400 years ago my hold was invaded and seized by the Black Foots, the orcish tribe that contested our mountain. The legend says that a fire elemental showed the orcs a secret way into the hold. The elemental was jealous of our great works of and wanted the orcs to lay waste to it. The came through the forges, the poor blacksmiths of the holds were mostly killed. The forges were in the heart of the hold and the guard barracks were near the hold entrance. The orcs cut off the guards from the rest of the populace. In a panic most of the people ran towards the barracks and were promptly cut down by the awaiting orcs. A small group of 15 dwarven guards managed to break through the orcish line and lead a group of 300 dwarves down into the caves below.

They spent days wandering through the caves trying to find a place to hide and be safe. Some were found by the orcs, others we carried away by the terrors that lay in the bones of the mountain. Only 3 of the Dwarven guard and 200 dwarves remained when they found the Heart Cave. It was a large natural vault that had river that ran through the middle of it. There were gems and minerals in the wall that glowed with a red light. It was here the Dwarves lay down their burden and wept. It is said the their tears were so many that they flowed into the river and out of the mountain. The river came out of the mountain in a giant waterfall that filled a pool that was on a small plateau on the side of the mountain. The water nymph Nenya lived in that pool. It was said she tasted the sorrow and the pain of the Dwarven tears. Nenya asked the earth elementals to open a path through the mountain to allow the water in the pool to flow out so that she may find help for those who shed the bitter tears. The valley of Nenya was thus formed and she went with the vanguard of this new river to find help.

She swam for weeks until she came to a forest. In that forest a group of druids had gathered to witness the birth of this new river. As the waters came down Nenya saw the druids and implored them to help. Most of the druids refused saying that sorrow is the way of nature and that the creations of all races were doomed to fade. However, one young human druid disagreed with his peers. He believed that it was worth helping those in need. He turned himself into a large trout and with Nenya swam back to the mountain. In the meantime the Dwarves had built crude shelters and were barely surviving off the mold and mushrooms they could grow in the caves. Miriam, the only surviving cleric of Moradin, was at the river praying to the All Father for deliverance. As she lay their in prayer she heard a splash. From the river a large trout had jumped forth. It, however, landed as a man.

'Be not alarmed' He said 'I am Beric, druid of the forests to the south. I have heard of your sorrows and wish to help.'

Miriam looked at him and said 'I thank you for your kind words and your desire to help. But what can we do? We have no tools to harvest ore, nor fire hot enough to smelt it and forge weapons to dispose of the orcs. We are so few and they are so many.'

'There is power in this place' he said gesturing to the cave around them 'The mountain is a living thing and here you are at its beating heart. Industry and steel cannot match the power that lay in this place. You are blind to it and so I will open your eyes. I will show you the power.'

Beric began to teach some of the Dwarves the way of the druids. This is the origin of our Druidic tradition.

The hour grows late my friend and I am quite tired. I hope I did not bore you with my tale Alric. I will have to tell you the rest of it some other time."

Adjuntive

First Post
Alric yawns at the conclusion of Hrimr's tale, suddenly realizing he hasn't thought about fiery death for the entire telling. Nodding to Hrimr's telling with a slight smile upon his lips Alric says,

"You honor me with a telling of your people. I take back my past jests. Your people boast obvious resilience from stone. But tell me, did your people ever return to your ancestral home, and give retribution to the savage orcs?"

Last edited:

Gregor

First Post
Chapter 1 comes to an end...

And so, the six from Gate Pass and their guide Torrent, sit down to an evening meal on the outskirts of the blazing forest. The party exchanges stories and banter while they sip warm river water and lounge in the ambient heat. Soon the sky turns black and the stars emerge, barely visible against the blazing light from the fires.

Fatigue sets in and you doze off, resting your weary bodies after a tumultuous few days. Some scratch absentmindedly at freshly healed wounds, cough due to the constantly floating ash or snore loudly. Watches are manned and the night passes without incident.

[sblock="For Lars"]Lars, your dream begins with you flying through deep caverns below the earth. You suddenly blast into the sky and you can see the lands below you, Gate Pass sitting hunched against a deep winter, its towers waving the flags of the Ragesian Empire. Then you're in a forest, lush and green and full of life. You chase rabbits, birds and deer. When you catch them, you wear them like clothes, feeling their heart beat and seeing the world as they do. A flash of light hits your eyes and when you look down you are in the body of a white stag, majestic and charging through the woods. Another blast of light blinds you and you feel the searing heat of fire on your face. Animals are dying and when you touch them, they continue to live, wreathed in flame and pain. The forest blazes around you and suddenly you are pursued. You cannot determine your attacker for it is blocked by shadows. A sword strikes out at you, but you block it with your antlers ... antlers that you now see are wreathed in flames. The fire follows you as you run, and you defend yourself from the attacker. It speaks a strange language, but you understand it. It calls you "abomination" and you feel a blade pierce your chest. Your eyes snap open at camp as dawn emerges and you see Torrent packing your gear.[/sblock]

When dawn arrives, you awake and ponder what you have come through. You successfully escaped a city under siege, negotiated with the elves of Shahalesti, secured the intelligence, dodged and eventually smote a band of bounty hunters, and defeated an Inquisitor of the Ragesian Empire. As proud as you are, and recognizing that you have experienced more adventure in under a week than a commoner does in their entire life, you cannot help but wonder if that was all merely a warm-up. Staring at the blazing inferno you must now navigate and pondering the ultimate destination of the military intelligence you carry, it seems that your life is headed for more and increasingly dangerous adventure.

Torrent rises and walks, clothes and all, into the river. She submerges herself in the stream and speaks long deep prayers to her God of Water. She then packs her gear and stows the heavy and mundane items that will be of no use to you, on the saddlebags of the horses.

She waits for you to rise and you all break your fast. When you are ready, she asks you to drink your first vial and to follow her across the bridge and into the forest.

GM: I'm going to create a new thread for Chapter 2 sometime today or early tomorrow. Finish up whatever you like in this thread (identifying items, organizing gear, etc.) and then you march into the second module.

Last edited:

The Bashar

First Post
Hrimr smirks when Alric asks if they gave retribution to the Orcs.

"Oh they did. That is a tale for another day. They killed many orcs, but made even more run from the Hold."

Hrimr drifts off to sleep in the warmth of the burning forest. In the morning Hrimr meditates and feels the nature around him. After his meditation he looks at those scrolls again and casts read magic so he can finally decipher them.

digimattic

First Post
Arnir wakes early in the morning having spent the night in the warmth of the fire, quite comfortable in the heat. He pulls the smashed bear helmet from his pack and sets it down beside the other items of interest, absent mindedly coughing up bits of ash as he does.

When finished, he casts Identify in order to aid his identification of the items and begins his careful scrutiny

OOC: please let me know if I miss something, I'm going off the group loot table

Bannock

First Post
Bannock listens to Hrimr's tale, quickly grows bored. With his shirt still tied to the end of his poleaxe, he spends the time practicing drills that his father taught him, frustrated that he was unable to land very many strikes in his first real battles this week. As he practices, he experiments with some improvisation, trying to remember how his enemies were able to dodge him, or block him. Perhaps the experience of real combat has helped, because he feels himself able to execute his attacks more fluidly and precisely than before.

Afterward, sitting near the tent set up to protect Arnir and he from drifting ash, he whiles away more time chiseling rocks he found around the campsite into little edged tools, to practice his craft.

He begins to sing a tune, softly at first.

"A strange little team set out one night,
to seek their glory and fame
With swords and axes and magic and might,
and led by a mighty fine dame,
At a Gate Pass bar, you'd ne'er seen the like
You'd have to see it yourself,
A wizard, a dwarf, a man with a pike,
and one psychopathic elf!
A guardsman and a thief no less,
they'd be stopped by no one man,
Out into the burning forest they set,
Never to be seen again."

Gregor

First Post
[sblock="For Hrimr"]Hrimr, you can now see that you have four scrolls of cure light wounds. [/sblock]

[sblock="For Arnir"]Arnir, you successfully identify each of the items. However, while the broken bear helm continues to give off a magical aura (though less strong today) it fails to register as a functioning magical item. You can tell that the aura will dissipate in a few days, leaving you with a mundane broken skull. The other items are:

scout vial 1 = potion of cure light wounds
scout vial 2 = potion of cure light wounds
barbarian's vial = potion of enlarge person
inquisitor's wand = wand of hold portal (10 charges), caster level 5th
golden broach = brooch of shielding (it can absorb magic missiles of the sort generated by spell or spell-like ability. A brooch can absorb up to 101 points of damage from magic missiles before it melts and becomes useless)
magic torch = everburning torch (This otherwise normal torch has a continual flame spell cast upon it. An everburning torch clearly illuminates a 20-foot radius and provides shadowy illumination out to a 40-foot radius.)
horseman's vial of liquid = potion of cure light wounds
Renard's Horse Helm = (provides +1 competence bonus on Ride checks)

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Gregor

First Post
My last post here, just to let you all know that Chapter 2 has begun and its going on over here!

Don't forget to finish up your stuff and assign your loot from the group loot document.

See you in the new thread and congrats for finishing chapter 1!

Gregor

Remove ads