Six From Gate Pass - A War of the Burning Sky Campaign (3.5)

Gregor

First Post
[sblock="for Hrimr"]Hrimr, the only item you are able to identify is the vial carried by Kathor. It is a potion of cure light wounds.

Your knowledge also tells you nothing of the stream. It looks clean and clear, and you can infer that its proximity to the fire forest is what is causing it to steam. [/sblock]

GM: Hrimr, in absence of a read magic spell, you can try to decipher the scrolls using spellcraft. The DC is 20 + spell level.

The Bashar

First Post
Hrimr holds up one of the vials and exclaims

"It's another potion of cure light wounds! Everyone should have one on them just in case you are cut of from Torrent, Kirio, or I."

Hrimr places the four divine scrolls in a small pile in front of him. He grabs the top one, unfurls it, and begins to try and decipher it.

fromage67

First Post
Arnir looks up from the scrolls and places four of them aside. "Hrmir, Torrent, these are your domain. They look like scrolls of healing."

Then, turning to Lars he says "You there, are you able to read? This scroll of Mage Armor might be of use to you. I already know it, so its value is limited for me....I'll hang on to this last one, however."

Lars takes the rolled up vellum hesitantly, looking as he was more afraid of it than anything else. "Uh, thanks."

===

Lars sits on top a rock, emptying his pack, and repacking it carefully. He watches as night falls the spectacle of the burning trees.

"I don't get it, how can they keep on burning like that? I'm not liking the idea of going through that. Why don't we go around it on our horses?"

When he is done repacking, Lars collects one of the vials from Hrimr.

OOC: Aaaaargh! The dreaded 2!

Last edited:

funkmamagoat

First Post
After his tale/song for Alric, Kirio looks at the horses and the collective loot they have gathered in the last few days and shakes his head. "We will need to sort out what to bring with us. As we've gathered neither Arnir or I can carry much, but by my count there are 83 Arrows in the loot not counting the ones we carry in our quivers, we should seriously consider bringing them".

Last edited:

Gregor

First Post
Torrent accepts Alric's apology and gets back to work arranging her things. After removing the items she needed from the horse and repacking everything into her backpack, Torrent sits on the log next to Arnir and sharpens her axe blade with a whetstone.

"I wish I knew more about the forest Lars, but its veiled in mystery. The fire began 40 years ago and just won't stop. I think we can make a pretty strong guess that some kind of magic is involved. It could even be planar for all I know. Anyway, I hear your concern about going in there. It certainly does not look inviting. But, I have magic potions to protect us ... actually speaking of those potions, now is a good time to hand them out."

She goes back to her pack and pulls out a small box. When she opens it, it is lined with soft felt and has slots to hold vials snugly so they do not bump into one another. She has 21 vials, each filled with a dark blue liquid. She hands 3 to everyone, including herself which she leaves in the case.

"These are called potions of stand the heat. My church developed them for the resistance to help us get through the forest. They have pretty specific properties, so pay attention. The potions will protect us and whatever we wear and carry at the time of imbibing from the intense heat of the forest fire. They will not protect us from actual flames or fire, so those will still be able to harm us. Touching hot metal or anything like that will also still hurt. Each potion gives us 24 hours of protection, so we have 3 full days to get through. It should only take 2 days of hiking to get through the forest though, so I think we'll be alright."

"As for your other question Lars, yes we could hike around the forest. However, the horses are not an option as there are no roads. The road here that runs through the forest is the only one. We would have to hike through the rocky peaks where winter is in full swing up, which could take a month or more. Food would be extremely difficult to come by, not to mention fuel for our camp fires, and we would also have to contend with roaming packs of feral Orcs, goblin tribes and Hill giants. I personally vote for 2 or 3 uncomfortable and unsettling days in there" she points at the fire forest.

The Bashar

First Post
Hrimr listens to Torrent intently as she discusses the Fire Forest and the plan to get through.

"Torrent, I know a spell that can protect someone from the heat of the flames as well. I could prepare it in the morning and use it to protect myself. That way we will have some extra potions in case something happens.

Does anyone know if any wild life still exists in the forest?"

Gregor

First Post
"Hrimr, unfortunately I don't believe you do have any magic that can protect you. Even an endure elements spell is not powerful enough to protect you from the temperatures in there. Also, resist energy spells do not last long enough. Is there some other druidic spell I am unaware of? If so, lets definitely use it to save on potions."

Torrent puts her axe and whetstone away and then lays down on her bedroll, looking tired, and puts her arms behind her head.

The Bashar

First Post
Hrimr considers Torrent's words and looks back upon the fire forest. He feels its heat at this distance and realizes his magic is likely not enough to protect himself from the heat of the flames in the forest.

"Aye Torrent, I believe you're right. I'm not powerful enough to protect myself from the heat of the flames."

Hrimr settles himself down on his bedroll for a nights rest.

Adjuntive

First Post
Alric settles into his bedroll, but he feels restless being so close to the unnaturally burning forest. His pyrophobia seems to be peaking and he looks around for something to take his mind off it. Before failing utterly at finding a distraction from the thoughts of horribly burning to death, he finds his whetstone and begins sharpening the pointier parts of his arsenal.

After sharpening his trusted bastard sword, his silver sword, his javelin tips, and his short sword sidearm, he feels fatigue is still being staved off by pyrophobia. So, he turns to the nearest party member (happens to be Hrimr) and attempts to engage in, what he hopes is, distracting conversation.

"Hrimr my friend. I have met few dwarves in my time, though from what I've heard of your kind, those with powers over the wild are uncommon. I imagine you have an interesting story about yourself. I would be honored if you would share that story with me."

digimattic

First Post
Arnir spends the day reading and studying in the warmth of the mystic fire. The heat from the blaze creates gusts of warm wind which wash over him and remind him of summers in Shahalesti. For the first time since leaving Gate Pass, he feels calm- even happy- about his situation. Suddenly he makes a breakthrough in his studies and realizes that he can make beam of raging fire turn into a ray of electrical energy.

Pleased with his discovery and having finished with his book for the evening, he goes down to the river with his bar of soap, strips and wades in to the bathwater-warm stream. Scrubbing off blood and dirt, he sits in the stream so the water is up to his nose and stares at the fire, contemplating its origin, and what manner of beast, if any, live within the unnatural inferno.

Whatever created this blaze is powerful beyond telling!

He returns to the camp after drying off and listens to Kirio's playing with a smile as he reclines against a heavy log.

Remove ads