Six From Gate Pass - Chapter 3: Shelter From The Storm

digimattic

First Post
Arnir grumbles and rushes over to the sarcophagus of bones in front of the statue, grips the first skull that falls to hand, and upon returning to his position, he hurls the skull to the extent of his ability into the spider's liar "Where are you, you miserable piece of :):):):)?"

Arnir watches as the skull bounces on the rock about 10ft in front of the party and then tumbles into the webbing below

Last edited:

fromage67

First Post
Lars looks at Deacon Theal carefully, making his mind up about this man. "Teach me what you can. This is probably my best and only chance I will have in my life. What could you teach me? What is magic? " Lars flushes when he thinks about what he must say next. The skin of his face turns red, but he goes ahead and says, "I don't know my letters. I thought you should know that up front."

Gregor

First Post
GM: Your DM is once again on the move. I'm heading to Jamaica in the morning so posting may be a bit slow. I can't update the battle map but I'm sure we can narrate our way through it. I'll be back on the 27th.

Bannock

First Post
Bannock watches the skull skitter across the floor and into the webbed abyss. Waiting for something to happen, he edges forward into G-7 and continues to ready his attack on whatever might come into range.

The Bashar

First Post
Kirio moves back a little (G 2) and pauses his performance long enough to say "We stick to the plan, if it wants us it will come, but we are not going in there! Anything you can throw at it to piss it off in there Hrimr?" he starts playing again...

Hrimr shakes his head.

"I prepared mostly healing and protection spells. We have to move forward. I doubt it's going to come to us."

Hrimr then casts a spell. His free hand ignites in flame and gives of light like a torch.

OOC: Hrimr casts produce flame. DM: Out of curiosity is there another exit visible from our vantage point?

Gregor

First Post
Tension builds as the skull comes to a rolling stop, Bannock shifts closer and Hrimr casts a spell. You see no sign of the beast and the only sound is the beating of your hearts, throbbing in your ears. Then, softly at first, comes the clicking and hissing of the unseen spider.

GM: Hrimr, you know from your previous visit to the lair that there are two other exits from the room. One is a cave-like hole up near the ceiling and the other is around O 18 and 19 on the map - the remainder of the floor that heads into another web clogged hallway.

Gregor

First Post
North Harbour - Lyceum

Theal ponders for a while. "There is no shame in not having the ability to read or write. The majority of the human race lacks these skills. Moreover, they are not critical to your understanding of the arcane path. As we discussed previously, our power is innate and natural. We are conduits for the magical energies which surround all of us. Were you a student of wizardry ... well you would find that most difficult without the ability to read and comprehend the vast theories and formulae that they rely on. You and I shall spend days in deep discussion and personal experimentation. We will expand your mind and in doing so, we shall help to unlock your powers and your understanding."

Your tutor picks up a large piece of parchment from his desk, along with a piece of chalk and walks over to sit with you on one of the lecture benches. "You have asked me an incredibly complicated question Lars: what is magic? Debates in the sciences and philosophy on this subject are required studies here at the Lyceum and they vex even upper year wizards." He smiles and begins to draw on the parchment, starting first with a small circle and then drawing a second larger circle surrounding the first. "Consider in your mind that this small circle is the world as we know it: the rocks, trees, mountains, oceans, nations. Magic touches everything on our world. It suffuses us as beings, lives in nature, the wind, tides, everything. Magic comes from what wizards and certain clergies refer to as 'the Weave.'" He points to the second larger circle. "This is the weave. It is a great source of power and energy that blankets our world and the planes beyond us. It can be thought of as a fabric with uncountable strands of thread. When we use magic, we grasp these threads and order them in a certain way so as to produce a certain effect. Now, most scholars and priests believe that the weave was created by or may even be the body of a greater deity known as Mystra, the Mother of all Magic. It is to her that many give thanks and prayers, believing that continued worship will ensure an associated continuation of the existence of the weave."

He takes a break and scans your face to see if you look lost. "Now, just bear with me here as I know this is alot to take in. If we accept that the weave suffuses everything and everyone, then for us sorcerers, we must learn what our connection to the weave is. This is what allows us to manipulate it and achieve great feats. When we do so, magic takes on a number of forms dependent upon what we want to do. The intellectuals have decreed that magic takes on 8 great specific schools and 1 universal. The schools are as follows: Abjuration, which forms protective and warding power; Conjuration, which allows summoning or creating of material; Divination, which can be used to see great distances, know things and contact other planes of existence; Enchantment, which enables influence over other's minds; Evocation, which creates our most offensive powers - lightning bolts, fire balls and so forth; Illusion, which creates figments, images and sounds or affects the perception of things by others; Necromancy, which is associated with death and undeath; and Transmutation, which includes the powers to alter something both negatively and positively. The universal school is quite small and consists of spells to which we can not precisely assign."

Theal pauses. "These are the basics Lars. I now have two questions for you. First, I want you to think on the powers that you can manifest when you put your mind to it, or as we have just learned, are telling the weave how it should order itself for you. I want you to tell me how you think you are accessing the weave. From where is that link. Think back of what we discussed a few days ago before you answer. Second, what spells can you create and which schools of magic, which we have just learned, can you assign them to? Are there types of spells or schools that you seem to favour?"

Last edited:

Adjuntive

First Post
Tension builds as the skull comes to a rolling stop, Bannock shifts closer and Hrimr casts a spell. You see no sign of the beast and the only sound is the beating of your hearts, throbbing in your ears. Then, softly at first, comes the clicking and hissing of the unseen spider.

As the silence of party begins to give way to the telltale noises of the spider's coming Alric forces all thoughts from his mind and focuses his attention forward, waiting for the moment where plying his trade will be necessary.

OOC: Alric continues to delay action.

The tension of the moment causes adrenaline to begin pumping through Alric's veins. His heart pounds like a war drum in his ears and he forces his breathing to be deep and even rather than rapid and panicked. Cold sweat runs down his forehead and temples and, though not usually a religious man, Alric finds himself muttering under his breath the words that brought him some comfort when holding on the phalanxes of the Ragesian legion: "Tempus give me the strength to bring death to my enemies and Helm give me the fortitude to stand fast and hold."

fromage67

First Post
Lars listens attentively and nods his understanding. "When I use my powers, I either influence someone, like when I make them like me more, or I make then ignore that I am there. I can also make people believe that some things are there that aren't. Like changing the way they see me, or making noises or images. So, I guess you could say my powers are all about affecting the mind of others. It's not at all like when Arnir calls arrows of acid, or when Hrimr calls down lightning. I can't do things like that at all."

"I'm pretty sure that my powers come from when I get special dreams. A spirit voice called Vuhl told me that I am a Child of Trilla, and that is where I get my powers from."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases