Size of character parties

In your game, how many characters are there in a 'typical' party?

• 1 to 2

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 3 to 4

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • 5 to 6

Votes: 79 61.7%
  • 7 to 8

Votes: 16 12.5%
  • More than 8

Votes: 2 1.6%

Lorne

First Post
Greetings all,

After playing the current D&D ruleset for the past several months, I think I have a reasonable handle on how the game is played. One question I still have, though, involves the number of characters in a typical adventuring party.

Some of the out-of-print adventures in my collection include sample parties with eight or even ten members of the appropriate levels, and I can remember 1e/2e games where players ran multiple PCs or the DM ran multiple NPCs to have a larger party. In the two 3e groups that I currently attend, the parties number four and five characters, respectively. I don't know if this is a function of the personal tastes of the two DMs involved, or if there is a trend in adventure design under the current rules to have a smaller party (the DM of the 4-character party said it makes designing adventures easier; he cited that CRs are based on 4-character groups).

While I don't think that any specific number of heroes is 'ideal,' I thought that a poll on the forums would be helpful in shedding light on the subject. My thanks to anyone who votes or gives feedback.

Firedancer

First Post
Is there a poll, or do you just want replies?

One factor I feel is behind the CR on a 4 person party is because, IME, its difficult getting a much larger group of roleplayers able to meet regularly. Plus 4 is a good number of players, both for ingame time and development, and skill set (the classic rogue, ftr, mage and cleric combo).

My group has fluctuated in numbers; starting off with a core 6 (including DM). Peak was 8 players and that was difficult to handle. Low is 2 players, and that presents other problems!

I personnally really like 5 players as there's more scope for choice (people don't feel they have to take the rogue skill set), and you can cope well enough with the occasional absence.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
In one game in which I play there are six PCs, plus a cohort, two animal companions, two familiars, four mounts, and a mule and cart. (Whew!)

In a second game in which I play there are five PCs.

In the game I DM there are five PCs.

Thad Enouf

First Post
I think the "sweet spot" is somewhere between 4 and 6 PCs, depending on player experience, game edition, classes, and level. Currently, I am the DM of three PCs and one NPC and it's about perfect for our play style in lower level adventuring.

Hussar

Legend
Got six victims right now. :)

They finally got themselves a wizzie. And a straight up cleric. 15 levels without a cleric or a wizard. Who'da thunk?

Remove ads