• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Size Small Caster--Benefit, Detriment, or Neutral?

For a caster, is Size Small (as opposed to Medium) an advantage or a disadvantage?

• Relatively large disadvantage

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Relatively small disadvantage

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Completely neutral with absolutely no slide in any direction

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Relatively small advantage

Votes: 101 74.3%
  • Relatively large advantage

Votes: 16 11.8%

Advantage. Halflings are flat-out superior to elves when it comes to being a mage, IMO.

Gnomes are better than dwarves in most aspects (you still get the +2 Con, which is sweet) but dwarves get save bonuses.

The 20 foot speed sucks. There are options, but you have to pay for them. However, while that reduces the benefits, I still think you're left with minor benefits.

Nail

First Post
The penalty to Str and Grapple are completely ignored for caster: You were unlikely to have a good grapple score anyway, so making it worse is no big deal.

The speed (20 ft) *is* a penalty worth considering, as there are no "all day" speed buffs at low level. Sure, you could blow a slot on something like expeditious retreat, but that means you are spending an action casting a spell, rather than moving/escaping/repositioning.

However the +1 AC, +1 Atk, and the +4 hide is good stuff. Small benefits, but worth it, IMO. Halfling Wizard FTW!

pawsplay

Hero
Nail said:
The penalty to Str and Grapple are completely ignored for caster: You were unlikely to have a good grapple score anyway, so making it worse is no big deal.

Unless you get into a duel with a half-orc archmage... who grapples you and bashes your skull on the pavement until you pass out.

Nail

First Post
pawsplay said:
Unless you get into a duel with a half-orc archmage... who grapples you and bashes your skull on the pavement until you pass out.
Shall we presume he's cast Tenser's Transformation beforehand? :lol:

Nail

First Post
pawsplay said:
He doesn't need to if he's taking on a gnome wizard with Str as a dump stat. :)
I think we'd both agree that an archmage who takes as his strategy "I'll just grapple the little guy, unbuffed" is looking for a loss. :D

Hairfoot

First Post
For a halfling or gnome, I'd take a first level in their favoured class and load up on thiefy skills to improve survival and the benefits of smallness.

hong

WotC's bitch
Carrying capacity? Just get the half-orc barbarian to carry your stuff! It's not like you're weighed down with armour and a golfbag of weapons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads