• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill Challenges for Dummies

There is a great deal of miscommunication going around these boards concerning Skill Challenges. All of it comes from inadequate reading and comprehension of the material. I’d like to start by abolishing a myth of Skill Challenges:

Stalker0 said:
Showing the Math: Proving that 4e’s Skill Challenge system is broken.

I will assume a skill challenge where all of the DCs are medium, as this is the standard default for challenges. Then I will assume every player gets to use one of his best skills each time. For most characters, that’s probably +9 (+4 from a stat, +5 for skill training). However, that gives me a 50% success rate, and a 50% failure rate. That can get confusing in math equations, so I will give the player’s another +1 advantage, making it 55% success and 45% failure. The question is, how likely is a party to succeed at this skill challenge?
The above information is correct but it is hopelessly incomplete. This is understandable considering it's a new system. It's important to keep in mind that Characters gain access to Skill Modifiers from myriad sources other than Skill Training, half-level, and Stat Modifier which brings their total skill far beyond what is being presented here.

There is no need for mathematical models to support a new system of challenges if you understand the current system. Utility Powers are made to work with Skill Challenges improving the success rate of each individual group member by 25% or more. I played in sanctioned WotC 4e games prior to release and quickly discovered that Utility Powers were key in overcoming Skill Challenges. In addition, all characters have access to Magic Items which significantly increase their chance of success with a given skill. Powers and Items are integral to the design of all 4e target numbers, be it Defenses or Skill Checks. Not understanding this is the acme of failure in Fourth Edition.

Useful Negotiation Utilities
The sample Skill Challenge, found on page 76 of the DMG, gives a simplified example of what a Skill Challenge looks like. Here is a short list of Utility Powers that are useful in The Negotiation sample Skill Challenge:

Cleric
Good Omens – Utility 12: (targets you and each ally in 10 squares) Targets gain +5 Power Bonus to all D20 rolls until the end of your next turn, but the targets cannot score critical hits while this is in effect.

Paladin
Astral Speech – Utility 2: You gain a +4 power bonus to Diplomacy checks until the end of the encounter.
One Heart, One Mind – Utility 6: Until the end of the encounter targets can communicate telepathically with each other out to a range of 20 squares, and your aid another actions give a +4 bonus instead of a +2.

Ranger
Crucial Advice – Utility 2: Grant one ally the ability to reroll the skill check, with a power bonus equal to your Wisdom Modifier.
Skilled Companion – Utility 6: An ally within 10 squares of you who attempts an untrained check with a skill in which you are trained gains a power bonus equal to your Wisdom modifier. Lasts until the end of the encounter.

Rogue
Master of Deceit – Utility 2: Free Action. Reroll a Bluff check.
Mob Mentality – Utility 6: Close Burst 10. Targets gain a +2 bonus to Charisma based skills and ability checks until the end of your next turn.

Warlock
Beguiling Tongue – Utility 2: You gain a +5 power bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate checks until the end of this encounter.
Dark One’s Own Luck – Utility 6: Reroll the attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw, using the higher of the two results.

Useful Magic Items in a Skill Challenge
There are also a great number of magic items that improve the skills of characters. Unlike 3e, characters other than Rogues have access to tools that provide bonuses for skill intensive situations. For the Negotiation the characters involved would benefit from:
• Circlet of Authority – Level 7: Gain a +2 item bonus to Diplomacy checks and Intimidate checks.
• Diadem of Acuity – Level 8: Gain a +2 item bonus to Insight checks.

Optimal Negotiation
The key to any skill challenge is to inform the players. Continuing with The Negotiation example, any group containing several of the characters with the utility powers described and a magic item should have a significantly better chance to succeed. The original quote was concerned with a 50% failure rate yet never bothered with reading into the design of 4e as described in PHB, DMG, Races and Classes or Worlds and Monsters, which explicited stated that Items and Powers are part of every facet in 4e design. Adding a single magic item and using a simple Utility Power can reduce failure by 35% per individual, while creating an even lower risk of failure using Aid Other and Powers allowing rerolls. Skill Challenges are intended to drain PC's of their resources (Utility Powers) in order to succeed. This is no accident.

In The Negotiation if a party included Bob Marley the Paladin with One Heart, One Mind Utility Power (stupid name, useful power) they could work together telepathically and succeed in convincing the Baron to aid them – no surprises there. Skilled characters would be aided to have anywhere from a +4 to a +16 bonus to skilled checks – failing only on a one. Considering that many parties will include at least a Rogue, Ranger or Warlock they will have several utilities at their disposal to aid them in The Negotiation. A Warlock with Beguiling Tongue would be invaluable to any Diplomatic Skill Challenge, gaining an additional +5 power bonus to every skill check possible. Trained skill checks made by a Beguiling Warlock could have a 75% or greater success rate not including Item bonuses. Any party that includes a half-elf improves the entire party’s Diplomacy skill (racial power) while adding another skilled negotiator in their own right.

Failures in a Skill Challenge
Based on several accounts read on these and other forums I’ve noticed many reasons for Skill Challenge failure rested in the gamers themselves. There is a nasty habit of DM’s to immediately say NO whenever an opportunity presents itself. In 4e this is wrong. That might have been fine in previous editions but it’s time to learn from past mistakes and move on. The entire core of 4e is built on saying yes. The Skill Challenge system allows for creativity which can only exist if the DM follows the rules and says yes, however reluctant (DMG pg 28 and 73).

A Simple Game
One game I played in involved a Skill Challenge where we were being chased by city guards - Urban Chase. Playing a Dragonborn Paladin, I used the Intimidate skill saying, “I’ll scare the onlookers outside of this alley so they won’t tell the city guard which way we went. If you tell the guards anything I’ll kill you! just to rattle them and give us time.” Sure it wasn’t a listed skill for the challenge (making it a Hard DC) but as a Dragonborn Paladin trained in Intimidate the odds weren’t completely against me. Using Intimidate allowed me to try a different skill with a better chance of success then if I had tried Athletics (Full Plate and Heavy Shield is a -4!) and I received a +2 bonus for creativity because that’s just the sort of thing that happens in a police chase. The Warlord continued with the Cops schtick by bashing a door down allowing us to take a short cut through some stranger’s house (making a Str Check to aid rather than the Skill Check). The DM then gave the Rogue a +4 bonus on Streetwise to help us lose the guards (+2 for aid and +2 for having a good idea). The challenges taught me to be dynamic, open to change and reasonable.

Success in Skill Challenges
1) Inform the Players – Our DM was very clear on what skills would be most useful. He encouraged us to review our characters and think of other skills that would be equally as useful. The worst thing a DM can do is half-ass. Giving players inadequate information will certainly lead to failure, confusion and frustration. If the players don’t know what the Challenge entails they’ll choose the wrong skills, waste their Utility Powers or won’t phrase their ideas for secondary skills properly and accrue penalties.
2) Be Open Minded – DM's cannot be too adversarial because they're holding all the cards. It's important to keep in mind that some characters will be completely useless in a certain Skill Challenge. By allowing them to use their best Skills you can give them an opportunity to do something other than grant a +2 aid bonus. Also, a Hard DC isn’t that hard to a character specialized in a particular skill. You could be preventing a character from using a trained skill with a +2 racial bonus, +2 item bonus (or more), +3 feat bonus and a +5 power bonus (or more). Yes, that’s at least +17 before stat modifiers and levels are included! By saying no a clever PC just missed their opportunity to shine (and the party probably just racked up another failure).
3) Reward Clever Ideas – Just because it’s a Skill Challenge doesn’t mean that only skills are allowed. Characters should also be able to make ability checks if the situation calls for it. When our Warlord broke down the door we all cheered. We had 4 failures (three in a row) and only 7 successes. That put us back on track and made it possible for us to escape. By presenting reasonable ways in which a skill could be useful we received a +2 bonus. This doesn’t mean rewarding a player who says, “I use knowledge Nature.” This is where players must also pull their weight. Ideas must be compelling otherwise you’ll end up with a penalty for being lame.

Tervin

First Post
Interesting and informative post, but it raises a number of questions:

Why is stuff like this not brought up in the DMG? The DMG is meant to help the DMs after all.

Does this mean that skill challenges at level 1 (where people don't have utility powers or many magic items) should be avoided or totally recalculated?

And in what way does this solve the most serious problem with skill challenges, that high complexity simply means a lot more XP for what is usually a bigger chance of success. (Items and utility powers that add to more than one single die roll will actually just make this problem bigger.)

I like skill challenges a lot as they mean a way to include non combat challenges in a way where you award XP for them. The idea is brilliant, but the part in the DMG feels unfinished, and the whole system needs either lots of DM prework or a mathematical touchup in order to really work.

Myself I will calculate estimated average difficulty for the players beforehand based on skill bonuses, items and utility powers. From that I will know what DCs are reasonable, depending on how hard I want this to be.

Then I will make sure to add extra bonuses whenever the players take actions that make the scene better - as that is the only way to make the complex challenges really worth more XP than the simple ones.

I am ready to do those things, but it would have been nice to have the DMG help me doing them.

silentounce

First Post
Tervin said:
And in what way does this solve the most serious problem with skill challenges, that high complexity simply means a lot more XP for what is usually a bigger chance of success. (Items and utility powers that add to more than one single die roll will actually just make this problem bigger.)

This, exactly this. It's been repeated over and over again.

And also, like he said, what about low level parties without access to these powers and items? So maybe the system isn't as broken as it was made out to be. It's still at least broken as far as low-levels and complexity is concerned.

And what if I wanted to play a low magic campaign? How is a DM supposed to know that magic item balance is inserted into skill challenge mechanics? Yeah, I, personally, know that it was supposedly balanced into everything. But how is some random DM that doesn't go to websites like this or wizards.com supposed to know this?

Also, why did you have to go and create a new thread? Especially considering you quoted the first post in another thread specifically about this issue in your first post.

Last edited:

Darth Cyric

First Post
Lower complexity reduces the likelihood of the Law of Large Numbers. Besides, the whole uproar over Skill Challenges is a classic case of Gambler's Fallacy.

Last edited:

Dave Turner

First Post
Darth Cyric said:
Lower complexity reduces the likelihood of the Law of Large Numbers. Besides, the whole uproar over Skill Challenges is a classic case of Gambler's Fallacy.
Gambler's Fallacy? Tell that to the mathematicians who have analyzed skill challenge system. Your comment strikes me as perversely uninformed at best.

As for the OP, I'd be much more inclined to side with you if you didn't make mistakes regarding the usefulness of some of the powers you list. For example, the text of Beguiler's Tongue actually reads:

"You gain a +5 power bonus to your NEXT Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate check during this encounter."

It's hardly the encounter-long powerhouse you suggest:

AtomicPope said:
A Warlock with Beguiling Tongue would be invaluable to any Diplomatic Skill Challenge, gaining an additional +5 power bonus to every skill check possible. Trained skill checks made by a Beguiling Warlock could have a 75% or greater success rate not including Item bonuses.
Furthermore, Good Omens is a paragon path ability for a cleric. If we assume that paragon paths will be chosen in equal numbers, only 1/4 of the clerics being played will choose to be a Divine Oracle, the path which gives the Good Omens power. Is every cleric playing the game somehow obliged to pick the Divine Oracle paragon path just so that the math on a vanilla skill challenge, an innovative rules system championed by the developers, will work out? Maybe we can merely suggest that at least one PC in every party must multiclass into Divine Oracle?

Must every DM hand out the two head slot items you mentioned just so that WotC's flawed math can be compensated for? Why does the DM have to dig the PCs out of a mathematical hole in the first place?

Substantive criticism of the skill challenge systems detractors can't be based solely on flipping through the PHB, cherry-picking powers which have some bare relationship to enhancing skill bonuses. I think that your core criticism is worth addressing: did the critics who ran the numbers on the skill challenge system take Power and Item bonuses into account? Hopefully one of them will be along to answer that question.

The details in your argument, on the other hand, require much more work on your part.

Remove ads