Skill Focus, Dodge, Toughness: Weak... ?

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Michael_Morris said:

I cannot copy how WotC has treated Skill Focus in subsequent products. WotC wants all d20 publishers to pretend that they don't exist, and we must comply.

WotC doesn't want us to derive material from anything other than the SRD. Can't blame them, I wouldn't want them to derive anything from my Product Identity material either.

My suggestion to other d20 publishers is this: Don't rewrite the core rules. Add to them. Make an Improved Toughness or Improved Dodge, don't rewrite Dodge. It's not necessary, no matter how special your campaign setting is.

Good luck with Dusk!

Edit: I checked Dusk out briefly, and it looks pretty interesting. It's not something I would use, but I liked the production values and the "completeness" of it. I'd encourage anyone looking for a different campaign world to at least check it out.

Last edited:

Happiest_Sadist

First Post
I think toughness should be changed to be a cumulative feat. It gives you 3 hp the first time you take it, then 4, then 5 and so on. Hence after 4 toughnesses you have a total of 18 extra hp.

smetzger

Explorer
Dodge doesn't need to be changed. Its a pretty good feat in and of itself. But its real strength comes from it being a prereq for Spring Attack.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I too use the house rule for Skill Focus being a +3 bonus. If a character wants to make a cross class skill a class skill, then he can take Cosmopolitan from FRCS, which does the same thing.

I've changed Toughness to +1 HP/level and it can only be taken once.

Dodge I haven't changed. Changing it to apply to all opponents is an option, but I have yet to do so. For now, it's working just fine the way it is.

BryonD

Hero
I agree with the comments above to the effect of restraint.

A weak feat never messed up a game.

Also, remember that you can throw off some balance issues regarding prerequisites for PClasses and/or other feats if you make a sub-average prerequiste and make into a good choice by itself.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I like the feats as is: they're neccisary for prestige classes. That's their purpose, in addition to feat chains (Dodge, especially).

S'mon

Legend
BryonD said:
I agree with the comments above to the effect of restraint.

A weak feat never messed up a game.

Also, remember that you can throw off some balance issues regarding prerequisites for PClasses and/or other feats if you make a sub-average prerequiste and make into a good choice by itself.

I agree. BTW plenty of PCs in my games have taken the 3 feats mentioned - toughness is great for 1st level d4 hit dice classes, human wizards & sorcerors especially. Dodge's +1 AC vs 1 opponent is perfectly respectable.

My own approach to skill focus: like Alertness, let it apply to a family of related skills - so Skill Focus: Knowledge, or Craft, or Performance, not Religious Knowledge, Craft Armour, or Singing.
I came up with this _after_ I saw several players had the skill on their sheets and I felt sorry for them.... :)

Cloudgatherer

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
I like the feats as is: they're neccisary for prestige classes. That's their purpose, in addition to feat chains (Dodge, especially).

Personally, I can understand leaving dodge the way it is. It opens up one of the more popular feat chains for fighters. However, do you feel the same way about Skill Focus given the myriad of +2 to two skills feats? And as for toughness, it only provides +3 hp, regardless of level or dice rolled. A powergamer in my group once remarked he would make a fighter, and constantly take toughness and be a "damage sponge." I think making it +1 hp/level and only allowing it once provides the same benefit to characters regardless of number of feats or hit dice.

Remove ads