skill questions: stacking and arson - what skill?

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Ok, first question, the easy one.

would the +2 bonus to bluff from both Charlatan and Pursuasive stack?

second question: what skill would apply to arson? wilderness lore? knowledge: fire? alchemy? Profession: arsonist?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I don't know what type of bonuses those specific feats give, but I allow bonuses from feats to stack when they apply to skills. Look in the DMG for specific types of bonuses that stack and do not stack. If they are unnamed bonuses, then they do stack.

Well, an arsonist is just a person who starts fires. Wilderness lore will allow you to start fires and give knowledge on basic natural items that burn like dry grass and not green tree limbs. Alchemy would help cause you can create liquids that burn better, faster, and hotter. Plkus, you might be able to rig up a time delay through chemicals. Knowledge Architure and Engineering will help knowing where to set the fire to casue the most damage in a building. Gather Information and Innuendo will help to get contacts and to sell your survices along with talking to these people in code so others don't realize what you are setting up.

There really is no one skill that applies, it really depends on how you intend to go about doing it. A Sorcerer with the right spells doesn't really need these skills of example.

hong

WotC's bitch
If they're unnamed bonuses, yes, they stack. I would personally limit these sorts of "+2 with 2 skills" feats to be taken only at 1st level, since it undercuts the rationale behind Skill Focus not stacking. But that's just me.

As for arson, I don't think you need a skill check to set things on fire. People in D&D are assumed not to be totally stupid; note that even a regular commoner with average Wis can survive in the wild, by taking 10 on the DC 10 Wilderness Lore check. You might need Move Silently, Disguise, Bluff or Hide checks to escape once you've set something alight, though.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
hong said:
As for arson, I don't think you need a skill check to set things on fire.

heh

this pc wants to be better than the average person at setting things on fire.

Her name is Char, you can find her bio in the second post of this thread: http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6842

Sounds good, I'll allow the skill bonuses to stack, but the point looks to be moot, the player has decided to take +2 to hide instead.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
A fire genasi metacreative psion? Nice.

Finger of fire is a 0 level metacreative power, and firefall is a 1st level power. Firefall's description says that flammables ignite when the fire touches them. Sure, Char could use a torch and wilderness lore, but why bother? Just use her own mental powers. Sort of like "Firestarter."

Also, don't forget the Pyro feat from Song and Silence.

Char

First Post
Any fool can start a fire, what is interesting is making it move. The skill I want would tell me about the way fire moves, back drafts, flash fires, etc. It would be what your use when you want to burn down a castle which is 90% stone or destroy a city with a candle. This is why I think knowledge: Arson is appropriate.

PS already have Pyro ability, I will be glorious!

Last edited:

oliverhenshaw

First Post
craft (firemaking)

then you could modify the time/cost and difficulty rules structure a little to adjudicate setting fires.

Maybe knowledge(pyrotechnics) could give a synergy bonus, of course.

It's all part of the beauty of d20.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Char said:
Any fool can start a fire, what is interesting is making it move. The skill I want would tell me about the way fire moves, back drafts, flash fires, etc. It would be what your use when you want to burn down a castle which is 90% stone or destroy a city with a candle. This is why I think knowledge: Arson is appropriate.

PS already have Pyro ability, I will be glorious!

Sounds like you want "Profession (Arson)" or "Profession (Firefighter)" or "Knowledge (Pyrodynamics)". Plus, rent the movie Backdraft and watch it a few times.

Last edited:

Remove ads