• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skillpoints and later gained Intelligence

Quirhid

First Post
This might be a small thing, but it has troubled me for a long time. Long enough, so I decided to ask it here.

You receive skillpoints every level up according to your characters intelligence score. When your Int score is raised later on either by wish, other magical effect or naturaly after few levels. Does this boost affect your previous skillpoints too or just there on?

Please give me an answer that applies with the rules, not some thing that some DM has set.

CalrinAlshaw

First Post
Yep, basically, if you have 17(+3) and your level 3 human wizard you have a total of...36 skill points(6x4 for first level, +12 for 2 levels), at level 4 you raise your int to 18(+4) and at THAT level(level 4 that is) and beyond you have 7 skill points a level.

Calrin Alshaw

Dr_Rictus

First Post
The way to think of it is that intelligence doesn't modify your skill point total, it modifies the rate at which you gain skill points as you go up in levels. Once you've got the points, you've got 'em.

Staffan

Legend
Also, it makes things easier if Int changes during play - especially if it's lowered. What skills would you drop if you lowered Int? What would happen if you regained the Int you lost?

On the other hand, retroactive skill points are easier when making a high-level character from scratch, since you don't have to bother with *when* you increased your Int.

Coredump

Explorer
Lets complicate things then....

You have Int 18 when you create the character, and make it until level 7 when (for whatever reason) you lose a point of Int. Do you lose those 10 skill points?

You have Int 14 character, and at level 6 picks up a +4 Int headband. You wear it until level 10, when it is stolen/dispelled/lost/whatever. Do you lose those 8 skill points?

You have a Int 14 character at level 10, and get a +4 Int headband. A game week later you go up a level. Two game days later you lose the headband. Do you keep the 2 skill points?

You have a character with a +4 int headband who goes up a level, two game days later he gives the headband to another party member, who soon goes up a level, who then passes the headband to the next in line, etc. etc.
No real question, just a scenario

CalrinAlshaw

First Post
The only things that I think should be allowed to affect skill points are Inherent bonus's to Int (Manuals or Wish spell) and gaining a point every 4 levels starting at 4th.

Seriously, do you people wear your finest jewelry in the shower? HELL NO, you take it off to keep it from running down the drain. Thus, that is why I think enhancement bonus's shouldn't be allowed to give more skill points.

Now, as for LOSING Int, they don't LOSE skill points they have already learned, just as they don't retroactively GAIN skill points either.

Calrin Alshaw

Diirk

First Post
Coredump said:
Lets complicate things then....

You have Int 18 when you create the character, and make it until level 7 when (for whatever reason) you lose a point of Int. Do you lose those 10 skill points?

No, you keep them.

Coredump said:
You have Int 14 character, and at level 6 picks up a +4 Int headband. You wear it until level 10, when it is stolen/dispelled/lost/whatever. Do you lose those 8 skill points?

You have a Int 14 character at level 10, and get a +4 Int headband. A game week later you go up a level. Two game days later you lose the headband. Do you keep the 2 skill points?

You have a character with a +4 int headband who goes up a level, two game days later he gives the headband to another party member, who soon goes up a level, who then passes the headband to the next in line, etc. etc.
No real question, just a scenario
Only permanent increases to int increase skillpoints... this very specifically does not include headbands of intellect. It would include inherent bonuses from wishes/manuals. So no, you wouldn't lose any skill points... but neither would you have gained any in the first place.

Quirhid

First Post
Thanks for every one! But still...

Also, it makes things easier if Int changes during play - especially if it's lowered. What skills would you drop if you lowered Int? What would happen if you regained the Int you lost?

...Staffan has a point. It is easier to make higher level characters that way, but I'm OK with the rules that are written.

Remove ads