D&D 5E Skills and Ability Checks -- Perspective on Consistency vs DM Empowerment

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Right, I should have added the word perceived. Perceived abuse.
I'm not on the camp that has issues with Guidance and Bardic Inspiration.
I think a warlord ought to be able to do do a more versatile inspiration part like the Bard but also inspiring nervousness and overcompensation or even rarely overconfidence that trips up enemies in a manner similar to how he aids his allies. The apex predator schtick as I think @Manbearcat called it.

And yes I think the help one ally once in a while Battlemaster is not a Warlord.

Sadras

Legend
The system buried its balance in this arena skills were given a head stone.

Have you perhaps looked at the UA article which dealt with some powered-up abilities you can attempt with your skills? If I have understood you correctly, it might be exactly the kind of thing you are looking for.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well the the DCs I have seen are in the 10-20 range. As for published adventures, they're there to be tailored for the table, whether you like to dungeon crawl in your Dungeons and Dragons game or not.
My elvish diplomat/ambassador player character priestess is uninterested in clearing out a hole in the ground for the gold .... she uses her engineering skills to divert the river like hercules and floods the goblins out.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Have you perhaps looked at the UA article which dealt with some powered-up abilities you can attempt with your skills? If I have understood you correctly, it might be exactly the kind of thing you are looking for.
No I did see a third party project that didnt seem too great though.

Sadras

Legend
My elvish diplomat/ambassador player character priestess is uninterested in clearing out a hole in the ground for the gold .... she uses her engineering skills to divert the river like hercules and floods the goblins out.

Let us not make this situational as it can go on forever right? I can just as easily throw some captive elves in there who drown because some stuck-up PC didn't want to get their sandals dirty.

5ekyu

Hero
Better warn the players its going to be an all diplomacy game so they can choose appropriately and the spell casters have skills too oh my things they can just choose and have happen combined with the awesome and eratic power to improvise or just be told no sounds like more versatility not less.
I cannot fathom how your response bears any relevance to either the excerpt you quoted out or the larger post it was from. I am usually able to fathom out different playstyle differences etc but this jump to all diplomacy game seems like it's from some other thread or something.

Hoe do you jump from what wasassid to it being an all diplomacy game?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I cannot fathom how your response bears any relevance to either the excerpt you quoted out or the larger post it was from. I am usually able to fathom out different playstyle differences etc but this jump to all diplomacy game seems like it's from some other thread or something.

Hoe do you jump from what wasassid to it being an all diplomacy game?
Ah sorry one way that abilities of the most versatile power houses in the game might not intersect is by doing a game with a theme campaign that is a bit out of genre (not totally though) . -- > it says nothing about how much those intersect with what "needs to get done" in any given campaign. .

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Let us not make this situational as it can go on forever right? I can just as easily throw some captive elves in there who drown because some stuck-up PC didn't want to get their sandals dirty.
But it is situational I was saying well never mind its far off topic

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'd say a DM that doesn't set up situations where all members of the party contribute isn't doing their job.
sandboxing is the art of making sure they do not go the wrong direction am I right - just kidding I definite design adventures around the motivation and capabilities of the characters and I want more competent characters able to contribute strongly because that means more variety on how we can go with the story. Poorly defined abilities which seem to barely scale because of ba while other overlapping abilities get progressively potent like spell casting make attribute checks seem a poor way to enable contribution.

Remove ads