Skills house rules? What's in YOUR game?

Dave G

First Post
We finally made a house rule that makes sense motive a class skill for Paladins. It got me wondering what skill changes you've all made?

Are there any different treatments of class/cross-class? Any changes to a class' skill list?

Thoughts? Ideas? Diaper Rash? ;)

sinmissing

First Post
The only house rule I've made, for the time being, is that skills which may be used untrained cost 1 Skill Point per Rank up to 4. After 4 Ranks, the Skill Point cost is normal (1 for Class Skill, 2 for Cross Class Skill)

Belbarrus

First Post
Actually, I've made quite afew house rules regarding skills:

1) Rangers get 1 rank in Knowledge: (favored enemy) for each level that they obtain since picking that favored enemy
2) Bards get 6 skill points per level instead of 4.
3) Hobby skills. Each characters gets to select 3 skills that increase at maximum (level +3) whenever they go up in character level. These skills represent activities that the character participates in outside of their chosen profession. I have a limited list though, so players cannot just select *any* skill and claim it is their "hobby". But, for example, they can select Jump, Balance, Knowledge, Profession, Perform, etc as their hobby skills. These skills operated outside of the normal rules for increasing skills and, in case it matters, are considered "class" skills for that character.
4) Appraise is all or nothing. I have a list of what gold piece value you can appraise up to based on your total Appraise skill. For example if you have an Appraise skill of 5, you automatically know the value of something valued up to 100gp. If the item is valued at more than that, then all you know is that "it is valued at more than 100gp". The higher the skill, the higher the value you can appraise. I think a skill of 20 lets you evaluate up to 50,000gp (I cant recall the exact #'s).

sinmissing

First Post
Originally posted by Belbarrus 3) Hobby skills. Each characters gets to select 3 skills that increase at maximum (level +3) whenever they go up in character level.

I like this idea better than mine. I may just have to use it.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
Belbarrus, I like your idea for appraise. If you have time, please post the chart so I can yoink it. I also like the idea for "hobby skills", which I've used in other systems, e.g., Champions.

In my current campaign, I went all out and made ALL skills class skills, except for UMD (which, IMHO, is far too powerful to be available to everyone). I haven't seen any problems with this, though I'm sometimes surprised when a character has a high skill roll in a normally cross-class skill ("You have how many ranks in Escape Artist?") :rolleyes: It also sometimes have some interesting effects, as the fighter who wears light armor and takes ranks in Tumble, without having to take levels of rogue or monk.

yennico

First Post
Belbarrus said:
3) Hobby skills. Each characters gets to select 3 skills that increase at maximum (level +3) whenever they go up in character level. These skills represent activities that the character participates in outside of their chosen profession. I have a limited list though, so players cannot just select *any* skill and claim it is their "hobby". But, for example, they can select Jump, Balance, Knowledge, Profession, Perform, etc as their hobby skills. These skills operated outside of the normal rules for increasing skills and, in case it matters, are considered "class" skills for that character.
I made some similar house rule. The PC IMC get at first level some extra skill points which must be spent on some specific skills. (I have not my house rules handy, so i can not specifiy the exact amount))
From these extra skill points each PC must take at least 4 ranks Craft (any) or Profession (any)
Writing a language is a skill. Wizards get 1 rank at first level for free. A PC can only learn writing a language he already speaks.
To create a magic item the creator must have the approbiate craft or profession skill. ( e.g. tailoring for Cloak of resistance, wood carving for wands and rods, metalworking for rings, etc.)

Just my 2 cents
yennico

saebasan

First Post
Curiously, I just implemented a new "hobby skill" system in my own campaign.

At each level, a character gets a number of bonus skill points equal to his intelligence modifier. These bonus points can only be used to purchase ranks in knowledge skills, languages, and/or a single profession. These points represent the characters outside interests and allow all characters to be knowledgable about something. It also makes for better roleplaying as they now have defined their interests in some way.

I also have a system to add onto this which allows the characters to "purchase" additional knowledge skill points which covers their doing research, buying rare manuscripts and the like.

If anyone is interested, I will type up and submit the full details of the process.

Doug Williamson

der_kluge

Adventurer
Oh man, I've completely massacred skills. These are my house rules related to skills.

 There are no skill lists by class/prestige class. You choose 10 skills that you consider class skills. All other skills become cross-class skills. Exclusive skills can not be chosen unless it is exclusive to your class.
 Fighters and barbarians get 2 skill points per level. All spellcasting classes get 4. Minstrels and archaeologists get 6, and rogues still get 8.
 Alchemy is a required skill for brewing potions. Talk to me if you want to brew potions.
 Bully is a new skill, which is the same as Intimidate, except it is strength-based. If you have other exceptions, talk to me.
 The following skills are a special case: Balance, Climb, Jump, Listen, Profession, Ride, Spot, and Swim. These skills are lumped into a special category called “things I learned as a child”. At first level, you get 4 skill points to spend on these skills and 2 additional skill points every level to spend on these skills. These skills are always considered class skills for everyone. You can use your regular skill point allotment to increase skills “you learned as a child” if you desire.
 At first level, rogues get 6 skill points to spend on “things I learned as a child”, and then 2 skill points each level to spend on these.
 Languages are a separate skill. So, you could have 5 ranks in Elven. When you speak with an Elf, you will be forced to make an “Elven” skill check. If you botch it, you might inadvertently tell the Elven prince that his shoes taste like water, instead of asking for safe passage through his land.
 Each character starts with 10 ranks in Common.
 Druids get +1 free ranks in Druidic (Fey) every level starting at 1st.
 Rogues get +1 free ranks in “Thieves Cant” every level starting at 1st.
 Barbarians have 10 ranks in Common, but can only speak it. Reading/writing common is a separate skill for them, which they can put points into if they desire to.
 Clerics gain +1 ranks each level in the following languages: Celestial, Abyssal, and Infernal. This includes read/write as well as speaking.
 Paladins gain +1 ranks in Celestial each level.
 Tumble: must be rolled separately for each threatened area. You may not move through an enemies square with a failed Tumble check.
 Spellcraft: Divine casters get a -4 circumstance penalty when using this skill on arcane spells. Arcane casters get a -4 circumstance penalty when using this skill on divine spells .
 New Knowledge skills exist centered around monster knowledge. These are based on the category of monster. So, knowledge (aberration), or knowledge (undead) would be examples. Having ranks in such a skill allows you to identify creatures in that category, and to have knowledge about possible weaknesses. The following DCs apply:
DC10-14: Common man's knowledge about the particular kind of creature.
DC15-19: Actual habits and behavior of the creatures in questions.
DC20-24: Actual weaknesses and powers of the creatures.
DC25: Anything obscure not covered by the above
 Perform is split into multiple skills, and the Perform skill no longer exists as a generic skill. Instead the following skills are available in its place: Slight-of-hand, Voice, Dancing, Strings, Winds, and Other.
 Slight-of-hand allows you to perform card tricks, juggling, games of chance, and magic tricks.
 Voice covers all voice-related activities, including singing, chanting, poetry, auctioneering, whistling, and humming.
 Dancing includes all bodily feats. This skill is either modified by your Dex score, or your charisma score, depending on the situation. Tightrope walking (Dex), dancing (Cha), ladder balancing (Dex), and pantomime (Cha), are all examples of the Dancing skill.
 “Strings” allows the character to played string instruments – lute, violin, guitar, mandolin, and harp are all examples.
 “Winds” allows the character to played wind instruments – fife, horn, recorder, and pennywhistle are examples.
 The “Other” perform skill allows the character to play all other instruments not covered by the other two, including harpsichords, organs, and all percussion instruments.

(Minstrel and Archaeologist are classes unique to my game)

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
- Paladins, Clerics and Druids get Sense Motive
- Wizards get Decipher Script
- Sorcerers get Use Magic Device

- Everyone gets 2 "Education Skill Points" (ESPs) per level which must be spent in Knowleges, Crafts or Professions. At 1st level, these ESPs are multiplied like other skill points -- i.e., you get 8 at 1st level, and 2 every level after that.

-- Nifft

Remove ads