D&D 5E Skills & Proficiencies

Melkor

Explorer
I might just be missing this right now, but does the new playtest packet describe if (and when) you can add new skills as you level your character?

Also, for the casting in armor rule, it says you have to be proficient. Does the packet state when and if you can add proficiencies as you level (maybe by spending a feat)?

Thanks.

nightwalker450

First Post
There's a feat that gives you 2 new skills... But I haven't seen anything towards armor proficiency, (polearm training and Sniper give some weapon proficiency)

I think I might have preferred to have solid training, and flexible attributes on skills. As in training gives +3, and attributes give increasing dice bonus. Effectively dice size would be twice your modifier so 12 = 1d2, 14 = 1d4, 16 = 1d6, 18 = 1d8, 20 = 1d10, 20+ = 1d12. It just seems like you should be able to rely more on training than having to rely on the stat.

Last edited:

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Hijacking your simple question to gripe!

Skill dice are awful. Just awful. All that added complexity (they show some use in skill tricks but they turn up in parry and other maneuvers for no good reason) for nothing. All characters advance at the same rate in their skills, why? Further, as you become 'more skilled' as you gain level, you become *less* reliable rather than *more* reliable in your ability to overcome tasks. You're a mighty 20th level Fighter, you ought to be leaping wide chasms, intimidating villagers who look at you funny and have senses able to spot hiding smugglers. But no, you roll badly and you're as crap as you were at 1st level. I cannot believe that anybody thought increasing dice were a reasonable way to approach skills. This game is rapidly becoming an amusing little one-shot indie game, not the world's greatest RPG.

I reiterate my long-standing skill suggestion. Different levels of expertise, each giving you a small bonus and a minimum dice roll so you get better and more reliable as you invest in a given skill. Rogue's just get more of them, and improve faster, just as the Fighter improves his attack bonus faster than a Cleric.

Untrained +0, dice minimum 1
Apprentice +1, dice minimum 2
Adept +2, dice minimum 4
Expert +3, dice minimum 6
Master +4, dice minimum 8
Grand Master +5, dice minimum 10

Or thereabouts.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I reiterate my long-standing skill suggestion. Different levels of expertise, each giving you a small bonus and a minimum dice roll so you get better and more reliable as you invest in a given skill. Rogue's just get more of them, and improve faster, just as the Fighter improves his attack bonus faster than a Cleric.

Untrained +0, dice minimum 1
Apprentice +1, dice minimum 2
Adept +2, dice minimum 4
Expert +3, dice minimum 6
Master +4, dice minimum 8
Grand Master +5, dice minimum 10

Or thereabouts.

I reiterate my support for this concept. Particularly in light of Weapon and Spellcasting bonuses becoming a range of +1 through +5.

KidSnide

Adventurer
Although I like flatter math, I tend to think that the current packet may be a little too flat.

That said, I like the math of skill dice. Instead of the even probabilities generated by a d20, the d20+skill die creates a decreasing likelihood of getting unusually high or low results. For mid-ranged checks, it's effectively just a bonus. But for tasks that are relatively easy for a skilled character, checks become reliable but not automatic. (If you want an automatic skill check, learn Skill Focus.) Likewise, it makes "demi-god" difficulty checks possible for the most skillful characters, but still extremely unlikely.

-KS

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Although I like flatter math, I tend to think that the current packet may be a little too flat.

That said, I like the math of skill dice. Instead of the even probabilities generated by a d20, the d20+skill die creates a decreasing likelihood of getting unusually high or low results. For mid-ranged checks, it's effectively just a bonus. But for tasks that are relatively easy for a skilled character, checks become reliable but not automatic. (If you want an automatic skill check, learn Skill Focus.) Likewise, it makes "demi-god" difficulty checks possible for the most skillful characters, but still extremely unlikely.

-KS

Conceptually, I like the idea of a bell curve. But not at the expense of a unified mechanic. Your skill bonus represents training, just like your weapon and spellcasting bonuses. All three should look the same. Either all are flat bonuses, or all are a die progression.

erf_beto

First Post
The skill dice mechanic is interesting, but I don't know... it seems the d20 system is replaced by a (d20+xdy) system, which is... weird. :/
It might work though, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

JoeCrow

Explorer
I like the skill dice mechanic. Possibly that's because it reminds me of Alternity, and I thought Alternity was ACES.

Bow_Seat

First Post
Couldn't they just make skill training give you advantage on checks that qualify under your skill training description? This will shrink the possibility of really low rolls.

I dont know how to make this scale with higher levels, I guess having a static bonus based on level wouldn't be the worst mechanic.

Stalker0

Legend
Couldn't they just make skill training give you advantage on checks that qualify under your skill training description? This will shrink the possibility of really low rolls.

I dont know how to make this scale with higher levels, I guess having a static bonus based on level wouldn't be the worst mechanic.

I think we can get away from static bonuses at high levels and still give a sense of skill progression.

1) You can offer x number of rerolls in a day.
2) A skill roll can never be lower than X.
3) Offer "Skill Tricks" at higher levels. So my general rolls remain the same, but I gain super skill abilities in specific areas.
4) You can automatically negate X amount of penalties in skills as you get higher level. Balancing while running? No problem!

The problem I always have with skill progression is its hard to keep them grounded in "reality" but still give a progression. What is the difference between a 20 diplomacy or a 40? What can a man that can roll a 30 perception commonly actually see...etc.

Remove ads