• NOW LIVE! -- One-Page Adventures for D&D 5th Edition on Kickstarter! A booklet of colourful one-page adventures for D&D 5th Edition ranging from levels 1-9 and designed for a single session of play.
log in or register to remove this ad

 

Skin Deep

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
== OPEN ==


No guards bar your way into Xirr, but you must pass through a gauntlet of hungry stairs and out stretched hands – and then there is the stench. Boils, pustules, and cancerous flesh are in evidence everywhere you look, and most of the despairing people no longer even make a token effort to ward of the buzzing miasma of flies.

The stench of the city is overwhelming, the reek of human effluent, rotting flesh, and a faint sickly sweet floral scent combine into an eye watering reek. You quickly note the open sewers filled with filth and floating corpses all oozing slowly downwards towards the cities center..

But despite the horror life goes on, more affluent citizens move hurriedly through the stale bodies accompanied by body guards. Those with coin wear masks and are festooned with garish jewellery depicting the skull backed by crossed picks that is the symbol of their vile god. The mark of the Scaberous One is everywhere, hung across doorways, tattooed onto diseased flesh and thrust into your faces by hawkers in the form of amulets to ward off illness.


After ten minutes of moving through the filthy shanty structures you come upon once beautiful domed buildings, now marred, grubby, and in disrepair. You begin to see the Plague Priests themselves robed in sickly green or purple and either pristinely unblemished or grotesques wracked with all sorts of sores and diseases yet moving with strength and vigor.


Finally you reach the true heart of Xirr the great open air temple of Xarr heralded by the skies over it black with flies. Your destination is not within thankfully, but before the temple, and your contact the beggar known as Bum Face Javi. You can't miss him you had been told and as you approach you can quickly see why.


Bum Face Javi sits crossed legged at the bottom of the steps leading up to the temple, two tumorous masses hand down from his forehead one reaching to just over his right eye, the other hanging down to partially cover his mouth upon the left. Even without these disfigurements the elderly beggar is no oil painting, spindly limbs a pot belly and yellow teeth would put off all but the blindest harlot. A fat warty rat lies next to him blinking up with beady eyes.


“Coppers, and silvers, fer the glum, ye couldn't give te worse off I've got a face like a bum! A rat fer a pet and a thirst fer rum!” The old beggar sings out rattling a rusty metal cup meaningfully at everyone who passes within twenty feet of him. You recall the passphrase you were given, with ease - “Hey old timer let me buy you a meat pie.”


[sblock=OOC]To be clear one of you needs to give the passphrase.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad


kinem

Adventurer
Skendra Fen glances about cautiously, uncomfortable with what he sees and not knowing quite what to expect today. As usual, he is clad in a tan outfit that nearly blends with his brownish-red skin, with a simple brown cap on his head (concealing his headband), and most importantly in this city, wearing gloves. The mage armor spell he cast just before entering the city doesn't reassure him as much as the gloves. His morningstar hangs at his side, making his gait slightly awkward, but warning away those who might be looking for easy prey.

Looking at his companions, he decides that the sooner this business gets done, the better.

"Hey old timer let me buy you a meat pie."
 

jackslate45

First Post
The animal at Anaerion's feet growls at Bum Face Jav, and he reaches down and pets the leopard's ears.

"n.n..nnoow Neko, b.b.be nice." The leopard stops growling, but still looks at the beggar. Anaerion stands back up, looking at Skendra. "W..we sure this him?"

Clad in a brown tunic that matches too well with the buildings, and held up by a belt. A green clock hangs around his back, and two quivers hang on either side of his backpack. A bow is strung at his waist, as though yearning to be drawn.

[sblock=Spells Prepared]
1. Aspect of the Falcon
2. Resist Energy
[/sblock]
 

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Javi cackles, "Ah a pie is it? Well just so happens I know te best Pie Shop in town!" With a grunt of exertion he pushes himself up onto his feat and begins hobbling away from the temple making for an alley way between two tall domed buildings. Reaching the alley mouth he beckons you onwards.

The rat gives Neko a worried look before hurriedly waddling after its master.

"Now it might be that certain pie enthusiasts have taken an unwholesome interest in old BFJ's favorite emporium of pastorial delight. And happen they might be trying to follow him to this promised land. Which means old Javi's gonna have te take ye there via the scenic route, so have yer, uh, large cutlery at the ready if ye please."
 

jkason

First Post
Ciperel der Prad'm, human oracle

Ciperel's eyes went wide as they entered the city.

"Gods, it's worse than when I left," the small, wiry man said, unable for a moment to move. Then he closed his eyes, took a deep breath, coughed from having taken said breath, then opened his eyes again, gaze firmly set well ahead.

His club foot usually meant that Ciperel stood out, especially when he walked with his obvious limp. Here, however, he was just another 'unfortunate' among people who were far worse off. And even with what seemed his heavy gait, the young man somehow managed to avoid every unsavory piece of garbage that littered the ground, as if he were never truly stepping in the filth.

He remained quiet as Skendra made contact, though he found himself readying his crossbow as their guide made references to someone who might be following them. He glanced about casually, though his sharp, bright eyes took in every detail they could in that brief survey.
 


HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
{{ Torma be praised! }} Leopold thought as he pulled his long blade from it's sheathe. The holy warrior had gone silent and moody since it wa decided he should 'cover up' before entering the city.

He now wore a ragged cloak that was to big for him so it would complete cover his armor. His plate and mail had the star and sword that was the symbol of Torma's worshippers all about it. Leopold's shield was over one shoulder and the he was slightly stooped as he walked, so anyone who glanced at him might think him a hunchback.

{{ When will this skulking end? }} he thought holding the sword partly covered by the cloak as well as he waited.

[sblock=OOC] No spells yet just wanted to get into the RPing :)

[/sblock]
 

Attachments

  • holy_symbol.jpg
    holy_symbol.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
{{ Torma be praised! }} Leopold thought as he pulled his long blade from it's sheathe. The holy warrior had gone silent and moody since it wa decided he should 'cover up' before entering the city.

He now wore a ragged cloak that was to big for him so it would complete cover his armor. His plate and mail had the star and sword that was the symbol of Torma's worshippers all about it. Leopold's shield was over one shoulder and the he was slightly stooped as he walked, so anyone who glanced at him might think him a hunchback.

{{ When will this skulking end? }} he thought holding the sword partly covered by the cloak as well as he waited.

Anaerion's hand drifted to his bow, and unstrung it. "Th..th..the Scenic route?"

Looking at Neko, he gives a strange whistle. The leopard stands on guard, and moves closer in to guard him.

[sblock=ouch]My bad...shouldnt post half asleep[/sblock]
 

jkason

First Post
Ciperel clears his throat, as if coughing from the stench though he's actually gaining his companions' attention.

"Looks like our guide has the right of it," he tells the others under his breath. "I count three men in rags paying attention to us, off that way." he coughs again, using the action to jerk his head for a moment in the proper direction. "And while there are all sorts of afflictions in this city, I'm pretty sure these three are nonhuman. I see a skull covered in pulsing tendrils of rotten green flesh."

((rolls to follow))
 

kinem

Adventurer
Skendra tries to discreetly look around and see those Ciperel warned of as well as anything else out of the ordinary.

"Perhaps we can lose them on Javi's scenic route."
 

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
[sblock=kinem]Skendra makes out three figures swathed from head to toe in rags, their faces hidden in the heavy shadow of deep hoods beginning to move towards the alley. They move with a good degree of stealth attempting to disguise their passage, but their efforts do not quite suffice.[/sblock]

Javi hurries forward and stops at a heaped pile of refuse moving around to the back of the pile he seizes a rotten crate and with an effort drags it forward. Beneath the crate is revealed a ragged hole in the street leading to darkness below.

"About fifteen feet or so down. We need te hurry." The beggar says anxiously.

[sblock=jkason and kinem]The rag swathed figures pick up their pace as the crate is hauled out, they are perhaps sixty feet away slowed by the crowd and the fact that they are still attempting to be stealthy. But you don't have long before they reach you, perhaps thirty seconds or so.[/sblock]
 

jkason

First Post
Ciperel der Prad'm

"I'm not sure we have enough time, Javi. We have Plague Walkers," Ciperel says, swapping his crossbow for his morningstar. "Skeletons whose touch is infectious. Don't let them touch you, and don't bother throwing anything at them with a point on it. Lionel, Leopold, you might be best equipped to deal with them quickly, though I'm afraid we may call attention to this entrance if we don't move away from it first."

OOC: There's nothing resembling a sealable door on this hole in the ground, correct? In which case, it seems ill-advised to run down the hole and draw attention to the access point. If I've misinterpreted the situation, my apologies.

Mayhap I shouldn't have chosen so many mind-effectings spells.... :erm:
 

jackslate45

First Post
Anaerion

"I have h..h..hunted undead with this b..b..bow before. They f.f.fall." Anaerion said. "I c..can shoot if you w..w..want"


With the bow squeezed tight, Anaerion takes a side glance at these "things" seeing if he can recognize them.

OOC: If they are undead, I have favored Enemy bonuses against them.
 

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Bah! I am done hiding if there are enemies about!" Leopold exclaims as he slams his sword into it's sheathe. "Let them come and face a true follower of the warrior-goddess Torma - The Light in the Darkness."

The holy warrior throws of the cloak and brings his shield around to a ready postion. "I will wait but if they come within ten yards of me they will taste Torma's divine might."

[sblock=OOC] I think I;m ready will do a stats menu soon but spells are below:

Orisons: 4+0 - Detect Poison, Purify Food and Drink, Resistance, Create Water
1st lvl: 4+1 - Bless Water, Cure Light(d8+5), Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith d: Magic Weapon
2nd lvl: 3+1 - Bull's Strength, Remove Paralysis, OPEN SLOT d: Spiritual Weapon
3rd lvl: 2+1 - Searing Light, OPEN SLOT d: Magic Vestment [/sblock]
 

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Javi looks alarmed and his voice changes loosing the whine and sounding much younger,

"This is the scenic route folks, pursuit is why we are taking it. If you think taking on servants of Xarr within sight of the temple at the heart of his power is a good idea I'll be leaving you to it... This takes us through the catacombs we should be able to loose them, or at least face them without drawing attention to ourselves. Not to say they'll be our only problems down there, but still."
 

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I'll cover the rear then," Leopold says his voice heavy with contempt for running but choosing the right battlefield is half the battle. Choose poorly and you have lost before the first arrow flys.

_
 


Padreigh

First Post
Lionel had kept very quiet so far, although judging from his stony-faced expression he was far from happy. "Fleeing from Evil ... Leopold, let me be the last to descend. I fear no disease and my honour demands that I go last."

With these words Lionel readies himself, should the undead approach.
 
Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
Skendra follows Ciperel down into the darkness, having no desire to vie for the honor of being the first victim.

Once he reaches the bottom he casts dancing lights, creating four floating torches, to better see what they're getting into now.
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top