D&D 5E Skirmishers

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
But I ask... how much fun is it for players if you as the DM have set up a monster (maybe a boss like above examples but it doesn't have to be) that can engage, fight for a round or two, then pull back to a safe location? Does it make it less fair if it has a way to heal or regen?

now this is 2 different types of sceneros... if it is using resources and getting weaker it is still just a game of attrition... BUT if it can regenerate without cost, it could turn VERY 1 sided.

Does anyone have experence with NPC/Monsters running this way?
This is very interesting.

In running the Vecna battles, his ability to regen 80 hp per round is HUGE, but can be easily countered in battle via chill touch and other spells. However, if he gets away for just a few rounds, he could potentially be back at full strength in very little time.

Other regenerating creatures can do the same, but might take longer.

Meanwhile, the PCs have to use (limited) resources to "heal up" during those rounds of reprieve.

But, IMO, this is a feature of such monsters that is supposed to make them scary and difficult to deal with. How does the party stop them from retreating to safety and then re-engaging at full strength again? To my mind, that is part of the challenge the PCs face. Can it be frustrating? Oh, yes, but that is the very point of such features.

Now, should they be unlimited in use? I guess depends on what you want for the monster. My personal preference would be for creatures to be limited to a maximum full hp restore and then no more until a long rest.

This way, if the PCs are winning but struggling, the monster can disengage and heal up, come back for "round 2" so to say while the PCs are still (relatively) weaker. IF the PCs are winning but not struggling (and still "strong") the monster might disengage simply to "fight another day".

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I'm surprised to see anyone even having chill touch, to be honest. Monsters that heal aren't exactly common, are they? I've only played to level 12, but I've seen lots of fights that hinge on some resistance or immunity a monster has, but none that hinge on preventing the monster from healing.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I'm surprised to see anyone even having chill touch, to be honest. Monsters that heal aren't exactly common, are they?
No, they aren't. IME vampires are the chief ones. But, Chill Touch is useful against undead in general, anyway.

It certainly isn't the most common damage cantrip I've seen taken, but can be exceedingly effective when needed!

I'm surprised to see anyone even having chill touch, to be honest. Monsters that heal aren't exactly common, are they? I've only played to level 12, but I've seen lots of fights that hinge on some resistance or immunity a monster has, but none that hinge on preventing the monster from healing.
chill touch isn't the most common spell but far from the least common I have seen

Huh, ok. I'm used to seeing firebolt or occasionally ray of frost.
Firebolt and Toll the Dead (and Eldritch Blast of course) are the most common IME. Chill Touch is only for specific builds typically for my group.
I think Eldritch blast is the most common (maybe equal to the next 3 added togather) then firebolt toll the dead and Mockery. However I have only seen 2 casters have ray of frost and 1 of them bearly used.

Chill touch is in the 5th or 6th most common...

Remove ads