Slack Player

Lady Chaomii

First Post
I am the DM of a group in a live chat game using Skype. Our group runs two games, (I am the DM of one, and a player in the other) however there is this one player is constantly dragging his feet as much as humanly possible. Because of this, my game has ground to a complete halt, and the other is constantly having to stop and wait for him. He never tells us when he goes away, and even when he -is- present, it takes 20 to 30 minuets to get a response from him about -anything-, even to do something as simple as roll a 20 sided dice, though that usually takes longer.

I really don't know what to do. The only reason why I haven't kicked him out of the group already is because we've been playing as a group since the beginning of the year, and his character is also an important, if silent, member of the party. And it is for those reasons that don't really make it an option...

Nagol

Unimportant
The number one response in out of game problems is to discuss the situation with the player. Explain his behaviour has been noted, why it is disruptive to the group, and see if there is a way to mutual accomodation.

In the event that the discussion isn't successful or the behaviour doesn't change sufficiently, work out alternatives to allow play to continue in his absence. My preferred option would be boot the player. If that is difficult or problematic, lay down some ground rules like no reponse to a die roll request within 3 minutes and the DM will substitute their own roll, no answer to action announcement and the character Delays until the player is back or an alternate player picks an action for the character. As a DM start disentangling the character until booting the player isn't difficult and problematic and thus deal with the root of the problem.

SiderisAnon

First Post
If it is your turn and you're not ready within a reasonable amount of time, say 10 seconds, you get skipped. That's how I keep combat moving along.

For out of combat actions, just say, "Okay. We'll get back to you. Let me know when you decide," and move on to someone else.

As for campaign writing, you need to do two things. First, make this character no longer important; it's obviously crashing the story. Second, never plan an scene that is just that player where another player can't take the reins when this player vanishes.

You cannot let one player bring down the fun of the whole group this way. It's not fair to everyone else at the table.

S'mon

Legend
It sounds like the best thing would be to boot him and NPC the character as necessary. If you're kind you could email him a written warning and see if he changes his ways, but he probably won't.

Lady Chaomii

First Post
I like some of these suggestions, but I need to stress the point that kicking them the game is in no way shape or form an option. First of all, I've already played the "Just kick them from the game" card before, and I can only do that once, and that was early on, in the first in game day. Secondly, the party has already formed a tight nit organization called "The First Appleguard" in which the members treat each other like family. (Yes I know that it's a weird name, and yes I know the initials are F.A.G. but it makes sense in context) So their is no way any member of the group would just leave, meaning the only way they could be removed is if they were killed off. And I really don't want to put the Appleguard through that... Again.

I like some of these suggestions, but I need to stress the point that kicking them the game is in no way shape or form an option. First of all, I've already played the "Just kick them from the game" card before, and I can only do that once, and that was early on, in the first in game day. Secondly, the party has already formed a tight nit organization called "The First Appleguard" in which the members treat each other like family. (Yes I know that it's a weird name, and yes I know the initials are F.A.G. but it makes sense in context) So their is no way any member of the group would just leave, meaning the only way they could be removed is if they were killed off. And I really don't want to put the Appleguard through that... Again.

I think you need to distinguish the difference between players and characters.

I'd talk to the player and work it out. If that doesn't work, I'd either just skip his turn repeatedly or boot him from the group.

You could always kick the player, but keep the character in some way (an npc, another player takes him, he becomes a cohort, etc.).

Also, there are infinite reasons why and ways a character could leave a group. He knocks someone up (or already did) and leaves the group to be a dad. He is kidnapped, with no leads. He is kidnapped by a way-too-powerful foe that prevents rescue. He gets lost. He and the group get separated in a shipwreck. He is traumatized by adventuring and gives it up. He breaks the law (truly or is framed) and is imprisoned. He gets into legal trouble that leaves him in indentured servitude. His parent/sibling/wife/child is sick and needs to be cared for. And so on and so forth...

Last edited:

WHW4

First Post
I have to wonder why this person is even playing. It sounds like they are doing everything BUT playing the game.

Who cares how important the character is to whatever the storyline might be? You are in control of the story, ultimately. His character dies off-screen, send him a message telling him if he actually cares to play he may join again at a later date (when it's convenient for YOU) and get back to adventuring with the players who actually want to.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have to wonder why this person is even playing. It sounds like they are doing everything BUT playing the game.

That can be a problem with online games. Much like having computers at the table - there are some players who get distracted. The internet is full of shiny....

As the others have said: #1 way to deal is to discuss this with the player.

S'mon

Legend

I'm not seeing a good reason here.
Like Umbran says, talking with him is a good idea, but I strongly suspect on the facts you have given that he is not going to change. Note that as others have said, you can always drop a player but NPC the PC if necessary.

Remove ads