• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slaine / Conan - like character

There are many fantastic heroes that tear through their enemies, not getting hurt, armed with only a gigantic weapon and wearing but a loincloth.

Is there a way in D&D to reproduce such a character? AC is all important, and if you're not going to use armor, you'll better have 1000 Dex if you want to survive...

Thanks in advance for any input..

TS

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Xarls Taunzund said:
Slaine.... dammit, I know the name but can't place it right now. Please remind me who the hell he is.
Celtic comic book character. Mongoose made the comic into a d20 rpg.

Xarls Taunzund

First Post
Darkness said:
Celtic comic book character. Mongoose made the comic into a d20 rpg.

Hmmm, coulda sworn I've seen that name in an anime before... and it just hit me. It's actually Slayne I was thinking of, from Record of Lodoss. But I have brought this thread way off of track, sorry and go ahead and ignore me. :)

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
You don't need nearly as much AC as you might think. Most armies will not have significant numbers of fighters or warriors above fourth level. And a typical 4th level fighter or warrior will have no more than a +8 attack bonus (14 str, weapon focus, masterwork weapon) and will probably deal 1d8+2 points of damage (average=7.5) with his one-handed weapon. So, some combination of AC 27 or 28 and/or DR is what you would look for.

So, between a ring of protection +5 a +5 amulet of natural armor and +8 bracers of armor, the Conan wannabe will have his requisite AC. (And the typical Frank Frazetta or Boris Vallejo barbarian is wearing metal bracers, a prominent necklace--the sometimes present gloves could be gloves of dexterity to make up for the ring if you're not willing to add one). To do even better, some of the barbarians in the pictures wear shields. A shield of Invulnerability would add some DR to the picture.

To round out the equipment, add a monstrously large and gaudy +6 belt of giant strength and a +5 adamantium weapon and fur boots (boots of the winterlands).

Add Great Cleave (or supreme cleave if you're willing to go for prestige classes) and you're ready to go. The elite members of the army can only hit him on a natural 20, when they do hit, they need to do average damage in order to inflict any damage at all, and the conan wannabe can kill eight to thirteen of them per round (great cleave 8 on the first attack and then five foot step before the second attack and cleave 5 or so more).

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Well in the case of Conan, whom I've read an awful lot about, I would say that he makes frequent use of feats like dodge and expertise. So right there you could have a +6 to AC with just two feats, and if you're Conan and fighting rank and file minions the -5 to BAB wouldn't hurt a bit.

Dirge

Last edited:

Remove ads