• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slavery, Rape, Madness and War!

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Slavery, Rape, Madness and War!

I have read several of the threads about the Book of Vile Darkness and so on, and a recurring theme seemed to arise from some members--these members would say something like "Well, I don't have slavery, or rape, or torture in my games! I have no interest in discussing such, and neither do my players!"

Now, from a theoretical point of view, or maybe it's philosophical--I haven't decided for sure yet:)--but why would you *not* have such topics and themes in a campaign? I mean, if such doesn't exist in a campaign, what is then going on, you know?

For example, in my campaigns,

(1) Madness: Insane asylums can be found all over the place. People go nuts everywhere, and often they have very disturbing neurosis and pathologies. Some are horrendously, stark-raving mad! For the players to interact with these kinds of people, whether it is in a state-run asylum, or somewhere on a crowded street or tavern, these encounters can be quite disturbing. They deal with vile madnesses and grotesque neurosis that can manifest in people. Sometimes horrendous neurosis afflict NPC's close to the player characters, or a villain for example, or someone that the player characters need to interact with over an extended period of time for some reason. And so on.

(2) Rape: Rape is a constant thing in many parts of the world, and especially in kingdoms where slavery is legal. Wars breed this kind of thing as well, too. There may be friends of the characters, or relatives and so on that may have endured rape. It all depends on the situation really. There have been a few instances where player characters have been enslaved for weeks, months, or years in game time, and they were forced to endure being raped as well. In addition to being enslaved and horribly tortured. These things occur, and if the villains involved *didn't* engage in such, it would decidedly detract from the verrisimillitude of the campaign environment, and the character of the villains involved. In all such instances, such a horrific experience made a salient impact on the character, and enrished the overall story, and fueled the story in different story-arcs, whether it was for revenge, concealing such from relatives, dealing with children born from such an encounter, or just the character coming to grips with the experience as a whole. It also, interestingly, put a new face entirely on what *evil* really is. In the few cases where a character was raped, or they witnessed a favoured NPC being raped, they well knew the villain they faced was lower than pond scum, and was a sadistic, power-hungry monster who revelled in dominating his--or her!--victims. Needless to say, when such has occured, the players involved have been absolutely relentless in their pursuit of the villains in question!:)

(3) Slavery: As mentioned above, my campaigns are definitely not for a politically correct audience.:) Slavery exists, and is quite abundant in my campaigns. It is a vile, oppressive, horrifying practice, that many different elites of different societies use to enslave and enrich themselves at the expense of the masses of those in chains. Stories dealing with such themes have even brought tears to some of my players for example, as they helped free some elephant people from an evil human society. The elephant people were taken to open savannah land, and green forest, and helped to recover. More importantly from healing their physical wounds, the elephant people were *free* and were not shackled in chains and used as labour or as gladiators. They were so happy, and so grateful to the player-characters! It was really something.:) As noted, different characters, whether player-characters or NPC's, have, at different times, been enslaved, or somehow deeply involved with it. It has always been a great element of drama and tension throughout the stories.

(4) War: Well, war is constant throughout my campaigns as well. Millions of people march to war--tens of thousands of creatures pour into enemy lands, sweeping all before them in orgies of blood and fire as they devour people or enslave them to the yoke of the the oppressed. War is a hugely dramatic backdrop, and allows all kinds of stories to be told, froma variety of perspectives, too.:) In addition to the experience gained, the looting, the heroism, and listening to your enemies weep and beg for mercy!:) None the less, though, war--and its many ramifications, in a broad range of applications, are very dramatic and important to the campaign. Sometimes it gets quite bloody of course,when they are involved in hand-to-hand combat, and wading through great battles.

Of course, all of this is calibrated to the audience. If there are kids say under 15 playing, then there are certain aspects that are less detailed, simply because many children do not have the emotional maturity or the understanding to deal with more complex issues in a balanced, adult manner, like adults presumably can. Thus, there are elements that are *G* rated, as it were, and other elements, that have perhaps different ratings. Usually though, seeing that most of the people involved in the most of the campaigns are adults, more complex, adult themes and elements can be worked on and integrated into the stories.

For example: A player character has been enslaved and raped by a tyrant--an evil warlord who is determined to sweep the elves into the sea! However, such a preganancy in this situation, by circumstance of a druid's prophesy, is believed to give rise to a great hero who will have some essential role in bringing about the end of the tyrant's campaign of conquest. (That character being the child born in such circumstances) The rest of the group may travel and adventure for a number of years--at least 15 or 20 in game years, obviously, before such a prophesy could come into play--meanwhile provoking different tangents as the players seek to protect the young child from agents of the tyrant and so on, until different strands of such a story are brought to fruition. Meanwhile, the player-character's family or church may have some difficulties with a child being born not from a husband, or not from a selected husband through her choice or by arranged marriage, or whatever, depending on the culture and the religion involved. The player has then dealt creatively and dramatically with these different elements as they sought to raise their child, and at the same time protect their child from the agents of the tyrant and so on. At any rate, I would never expect a ten, twelve, or even a young teenager to necessarily have the skills or maturity to deal with such a subject matter--but adults can.

Jusrt some examples of what I mean though. I don't really understand how one cannot have such themes in a campaign, as it would seem to be almost cartoonish--unless you have lots of children playing, which as I mentioned, would be entirely appropriate. As for adults though, I suppose I don't understand what all the trembling and fear and apprehension there seems to be by some who are all *nervous* to ever include such topics in their campaigns, because they just don't know how their (adult) players would ever handle such themes. I guess I would ask, why would including such themes and elements in your campaign, played by adults, be such an apprehensive thing? It is a game after all, and a dramatic one at that, dealing with the violent, the bloody, the greedy, the horrific, almost all the time. Does that make any sense? I do hope so.:)

As an added thought, I am familiar with college drama classes and productions. Purely on an amatuer level, often just for fun--just like we play D&D--they gather and make productions that deal with exactly these kinds of themes and topics. It would seem that many adults can accept such discussion and dramatization of these mature themes in the venue of drama, played out on a school stage production, but somehow it is is unacceptable around one's table in a dramatic role-playing game?

At any rate,

How do some of you include such themes in your campaigns?

How have your players responded, and I suppose most interestingly, how have some of these kinds of themes and elements affected the characters, other relationships, and the larger campaign environment that the characters interact with?

NB: Please, no offense is meant, as I earlier tried to allude to the notion that this is primarily a philosophical line of questioning, and it isn't and shouldn't be interpreted as an attack upon anyone, or anyone's particular style of gaming. Thankyou for your consideration.:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Dragongirl

First Post
Under number 2 you forgot the most common referense to rape, at least understood rape . . . half-orcs. Would have to say that a vast majority of these were not the products of love.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

So very true Dragongirl! Half-Orcs must seem to almost always be the product of rape, and a horrific experience all the way around, too. No wonder Half-Orcs are so violent and resentful. They usually seem to grow up in a harsh, violent Orc community, or they eke out a marginal existence being a shunned and feared creature in most human realms. Poor Half-Orcs!

Still, can you imagine some of the dramatic elements that such a player-character could have from such a horrific background? I think there can easily be some very interesting stories explored, and yet, at least the beginning of the character's consciousness so to speak, begins with a horrifying episode of rape or of an extended tribulation of enslavement and so on. Definitely lots to work with there!:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

kibbitz

First Post
Rape requires a whole bunch of mature people to actually play through it. Never had the luck to be in such a group, and didn't know what rape was when I started playing (I was 10). Similar for madness, didn't encounter it until I first ran across insanity in WHRP, and then WW's WoD, which by then, I've stopped playing. Sounds interesting, but how would you play at proper insanity?

Slavery isn't unfamiliar, especially considering that some of the older (A)D&D modules deal with the party being captured and sold into slavery. Major slavery is the odd one, since not many people encounter campaigns where cities/villages are sacked and the men and women sold into slavery. Most would probably have seen the odd slave or two in a city with slave traders. Personally, I've not played with any of these situations though I've read other people's experiences regarding such play styles.

War is tricky. I've played and DMed campaigns similar to D&D scales, which means that eventually, everyone has or shares a powerbase with followers and such, and deal with other nations/city-states. Of course, war is inevitable at times. Thing is, again, this was done when young, so war is treated somewhat like a cross between a game of Risk, and some of those old war movies, where the ramifications of war are never really explored. So it turns out to be battles, occasionally of epic scale, with major duels deciding the fate of the battle, but after that, all that was computed was losses and damage to territory. Nothing else.

So, back to your original questions.

How do some of you include such themes in your campaigns?

How have your players responded, and I suppose most interestingly, how have some of these kinds of themes and elements affected the characters, other relationships, and the larger campaign environment that the characters interact with?
Well, slavery wasn't really noticable then, but we did have those old style scenarios where the party was enslaved and either sold off to the colosseum (ala Gladiator), or pending sale to some foreign land. Very much a jailbreak scenario thing. Another avenue explored is very "cartoony", as in the big bad villain capturing the heroes and enslaving them instead of slaying them out right. Kinda like SW:RotJ, the beautiful women are "decoration", the rest as servants or gladiators.

As mentioned, no rape/madness. Well, ok, perhaps a touch of the "mad prophet" giving incoherent prophecies bit. But I guess that doesn't count, does it?

War, well, I've said everything needed to be said.

A lot of this is not tied only to one's maturity and ability to handle said topic, but also to one's exposure and knowledge about these 4 "elements". I didn't find out about most of this till I was like 18 or so, and I think this was true for my gaming group as well.

Fenes 2

First Post
I must - to my astonishment - admit that I have not thought of using "real" mad-ness in my games. (Despite or maybe because of the fact that in my line of work I sometimes encounter mad people that were locked away for their own good). I will recitfy that as soon as it fits, since the image of a stark raving mad person makes for some captivating roleplaying, imho. Thanks SHARK.

As far as rape, slavery and war go, all of them are in my games.

I usually refrain from using too much large-scale war, but in both of my campaigns the possibility of large-scale engaments are there.
In our Cormyr-based campaign chances are good that our paladin will be able to lead a crusade in the near future.
Our Mulhorand/Unther-based campaign was originally slated to center on the re-bellion against the invaders, and the liberation of the occupied territories, with a large deciding war at the end, but during the "infiltrate the enemy and gather information" phase of the campaign the party, due to some rather crucial PC getting switched, changed sides (slowly while "working for them to gain their trust") and now it is "quash those rebels" and "defend the country against those foreign heathen Thayan wizards".

Slavery is common in both campaigns.
In the Cormyr-centric campaign the party has been enslaved rather early and had to escape, and some members ended up more than once in bondage and had to be rescued. Slavery is practised in the southern parts of the inner sea, and the PCs have fought slavers several times.
The Mulhorand campaign has a different flavor. Here the PCs themselves are sla-ve owners, and don't think twice about it. Almost all of the PCs come from countries where slavery is legal, and don't have any moral problems with it, especially since the church they are working for has a rather dark side and slavery is legal in Mulhorand as well. The party also recently enslaved an villain rather than kill her, and before that they had foiled - in a smart if underhanded way - an attempt of a band of adventurers led by a paladin to rescue a captured and enslaved adventurer one PC had aquired.

In both campaigns, rape happens in the world at large. Soldiers do it, nobles do it, bandits do it, scum everywhere does it, like it has been done, and is still being done, in our world. NPCs have to live with it. However, I do not get graphic in the game.
PCs I treat differently. No PC will ever get raped without the consent of the player (who may want to explore the reactions of a PC in dealing with such a trauma, or has a PC that does not get changed too much by such things - as I do not enforce "realistic" wound effects or similar consequences of the perils of an adventurer's life (fear from fire after a nasty burn, f.e.) I do not enforce "realistic" mental effects of such perils). That does not mean that the bandits that were scum the week before suddenly develop moral scruples when it comes to the captured PC, but that well-known plot devices intervene, like the leader being away etc. This only applies in the case of players that do not want to deal with raped PCs. The rest is fair game.
PC rapists I have not in the game. Even the slave owners prefer to seduce their bedpartners.

All in all I aim for a pretty much realistic world, not a sanitized cartoon campaign where certain things do not happen, but I do not get graphic in my descriptions, and I draw the line at certain actions, either done to or committed by the PCs. Still, PG-13 my game is not.

Edit: So far my players have not complained, and generally try to stay within the spirit of the campaign. The player of the slaver-hating paladin plays a slave-owning (and recently slaving) priest in the other campaign.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Some topics are for the table and some are not, my players know all the above happens, it happens in my games but not at the table but as a sidebar.

Why? Mature theme, yes, but also to discuss with the players how it will impact their characters and their role-playing of that character. Acts of torture, rape, madness, drugs, and such change world views, changes the basic character.

A half-orc growing up or a rape victim could have a strong hate for the raper's race, so in the game terms, you use rage or favorite enemy or even madness.

As most themes, the vile ones are plot devices, story ideas, you don't have to have details, just know that it takes place.

Maybe their campaigns focus around the heroes hunting down bad people who sneak out at night to bonk field mice on their heads. Just imagine it an entire campaign focused around stopping little bunny Foo Foo. ;)

kibbitz

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Maybe their campaigns focus around the heroes hunting down bad people who sneak out at night to bonk field mice on their heads. Just imagine it an entire campaign focused around stopping little bunny Foo Foo. ;)

Strangely enough, I ran a superhero campaign somewhat similar to this. It was intended to be humourous like the Tick, so I guess it matches.

Apologies for hijacking the topic. We now return you to SHARK-cast :D

arwink

Clockwork Golem
DocMoriartty said:

Wasn't that bunnies and burrows? :) I can remember being very very disturbed for a long time after I first saw Watership Down. Bunnies aren't all hugs and kisses.

More On Topic - I use all four, from time to time. Rape is definately the least used, something that happens in the background rather than the foreground and never to PC's. War, Madness and slavery are all fair game, for characters on both sides of the Dm's screen. The last campaign involved PC's on the fringes of two struggles, one between two nations, the other between their thieves guild allies and a totalitarian church state. Madness, well, one of the characters involved was not a healthy man. Balanced on a razors edge between good and evil, and through a variety of reasons had a chillingly eratic personality. The entire empire they lived in was ancient and sliding towards decadence, so slavery was a given and not even considered all that evil by some of the players, just a fact of life.

That being said, I like a level of variety in the style of games I run and I'll usually ask players before I start working on something with a darker or more realistic edge to it. If they aren't up for it, or have any problems with it, there's not much point going to the effort. Fortunately, at present, I have a group of players that seem to enjoy playing the fine balance between good and corruption. When it gets boring, we'll go back to shining knights and dragons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads