Sleep = Positive Energy

silentounce

First Post
Just a few quick questions here. The sunburst thread got me thinking.

Why doesn't the Sleep spell heal those that fail the save? And shouldn't it damage Undead?

Also, if you oversleep do you end up like 3.x characters that spend too long in the Positive Energy Plane?

DM: Eldarin, you come out of your trance after seeing a bright flash of light followed by a large BOOM!
Eldarin: Do I need to roll initiative?
DM: No.
Eldarin: I wake up the rest of the party.
DM: You don't see them anywhere.
Eldarin: What do you mean?
Dwarf: Huh... what?
Human: Is he dreaming?
DM: You forgot to wake them up.
blank looks
DM: They overslept. At first I gave them temporary HP above their normal total but after an extra hour they exploded in a riot of energy.
Human: I TOLD you we should have bought a water clock.
DM: Sorry, they're not in the equipment list.
Dwarf(picking up 4d6): What are the ability modifiers for Eldarin?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#positiveDominant

silentounce

First Post
Boarstorm said:
So, can the Eladrin never heal naturally, since they never sleep?

I'm sure you know this, especially considering your sig, but my comment was mentioned in jest. But before somebody comes in here saying that extended rest does not require sleep, blah blah blah.

I know this. I labeled this as "Humor" for a reason. So, consider this a preemptive strike.

"You normally sleep during an extended rest, though you don’t have to. You can engage in light activity that doesn’t require much exertion."

And, technically, you don't actually get anything back until the extended rest is over. As in, when you "wake up" after having spent at least six hours in this state.

As for the Eldarin, the funny thing about the way their Trance feature is described is that it can actually be a hindrance. Yeah, they only have to spend four hours in such a state, but it doesn't say they can perform light activity. Granted, they'll have two hours while the others are still "resting". It's still silly though, because even the other races don't have to sleep while resting, so they'd be fully aware of their surroundings, too.

Ha, I just noticed the rules completely contradict themselves on the same page. 263, I quoted one section above, now read the section titled Sleeping and Waking Up. One says if you don't sleep for at least six hours you don't get the benefit, the other says that you don't have to sleep. Brilliant!!

Last edited:

baberg

First Post
silentounce said:
Ha, I just noticed the rules completely contradict themselves on the same page. 263, I quoted one section above, now read the section titled Sleeping and Waking Up. One says if you don't sleep for at least six hours you don't get the benefit, the other says that you don't have to sleep. Brilliant!!
Extended rest:
No Strenuous Activity: You normally sleep during an extended rest, though you don’t have to. You can engage in light activity that doesn’t require much exertion.

Sleeping and Waking Up:
If you haven’t slept at least 6 hours in the last 24, you gain no benefit from that extended rest

There's no contradiction there. It just says I need 6 hours of sleep in the previous 24. Let's say I wake up at midnight, stay awake an hour, then sleep an hour, then awake, etc. until I've got 6 hours of sleep and 6 hours of awake (it's now noon, and I'm ready to kill the dog that kept waking me up). Then I take an extended rest by just moping around the house doing nothing. I've had 6 hours of sleep in the previous 24, so the extended rest recharges me, and now it's 6pm and time to go clubbing - clubbing orcs, that is.

silentounce

First Post
baberg said:
Extended rest:
No Strenuous Activity: You normally sleep during an extended rest, though you don’t have to. You can engage in light activity that doesn’t require much exertion.

Sleeping and Waking Up:
If you haven’t slept at least 6 hours in the last 24, you gain no benefit from that extended rest

There's no contradiction there. It just says I need 6 hours of sleep in the previous 24. Let's say I wake up at midnight, stay awake an hour, then sleep an hour, then awake, etc. until I've got 6 hours of sleep and 6 hours of awake (it's now noon, and I'm ready to kill the dog that kept waking me up). Then I take an extended rest by just moping around the house doing nothing. I've had 6 hours of sleep in the previous 24, so the extended rest recharges me, and now it's 6pm and time to go clubbing - clubbing orcs, that is.

If there's no contradiction then you can do this:

Under the "Once per Day" heading it says that you have to wait at least 12 hours before resting again. So, at 12am a party rests for six hours, they don't need to set a watch because they have an Eldarin party member. They wake at 6am. They decide to rest again at 6pm. They don't have to sleep at all because by the time 12am rolls around they'll still have slept six hours in the previous 24. Granted the only benefit is being able to perform light activity, but still....

bjorn2bwild

First Post
silentounce said:

Under the "Once per Day" heading it says that you have to wait at least 12 hours before resting again. So, at 12am a party rests for six hours, they don't need to set a watch because they have an Eldarin party member. They wake at 6am. They decide to rest again at 6pm. They don't have to sleep at all because by the time 12am rolls around they'll still have slept six hours in the previous 24. Granted the only benefit is being able to perform light activity, but still....

indeed they could. But, after that, they wouldn't be eligible for an extended rest until noon the next day AND they would have to either sleep 6 hours ahead of time, or sleep in the afternoon.

silentounce said:

And in a perfect world PC's never fail their rolls, always win, and do whatever they want.

silentounce

First Post
AtomicPope said:
And in a perfect world PC's never fail their rolls, always win, and do whatever they want.

I don't see your point. And I'm not that kind of DM, anyway. Also, as someone else said recently, the fact that you can house rule something doesn't mean that what you fixed wasn't broken in the first place. Obviously, I wouldn't allow this crap in my campaign.

Remove ads