• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sleeping in armor?

Doctor Proctor

First Post
Actually, he can just tell them that they're expected to either wear Summoned Armor or Imposter's Armor, or to own an extra set for (not) sleeping in at night.

Yeah, but again, you're punishing the players that don't have any points in DEX. The high-DEX characters or the Wizard in Cloth only need to keep up one set of armor, and that's it. They can either sleep without and rely on their DEX to see them through the fight, or wear it (if it's cloth) 24/7 and never have to worry.

The non-DEX PC now has to do one of two things. He can either be forced to always have Summoned or Imposters armor and never get the benefit of the other armor enchantments, or he can maintain two different sets of armor that he has to carry with him all over the world.

Again, it's just a really unfair penalty for some arbitrary mechanic that may or may not add some realism...since now there's some doubt as to whether the stories of being unable to sleep in it are even true!

underfoot007

First Post
Actually there is a rule about sleeping on page 263 in the PHB:

You need at least 6 hours of sleep every day to keep functioning at your best. If, at the end of an extended rest, you've haven't slept at least 6 hours in the last 24, you gain no benefit from that extended rest.

It states that an extended rest includes relaxation. I would say wearing heavy armor is not relaxing, therefore you don't gain the benifits of an extended rest. That's my opinion.

Thats your opinion but NOT a rule. nowhere does it say that. Relaxing is a relative term. I have slept sitting in the front seat of a car on the way home from gencon, no so relaxing but you can sleep and rest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads