Slicing throats?

oakbriar

First Post
The PCs best stealthie has crept up to the mercenary camp. The lone sentry prods the campfire with a stick, trying to bring life to the fading coals. The PC slowly makes his way behind the sentry, drawing a knife. One hand reaches across the sentry's mouth and before any muffled noise can be make, the PC pulls the blade across the guard's throat and guides the lifeless body to the ground without a sound.

Oh wait, this is 4e, you only have combat advantage against him.

Is there a way that scenarios like this can work mechanically? I could see the target being surprised, and maybe even restrained but from what I can tell from the PHB since the target is not helpless (since he is not unconcious or the target of any powers that would make him so) he is not eligible for a coup de grace. And unless the PC gets a sneak attack, there's not much point in even creeping up like that. A ranger might as well shoot the target from the shadows since all he really gets is the +2 to hit from CA.

How are situations like this handled in your games? I could see a houserule that opens coup de graces on targets unaware of you if its outside of combat. If the target has any reason to believe he is threatened (combat has started, or he becomes aware of the PC) he wouldn't be such an easy target, but if his guard is lowered and has no idea death is right behind him, a measly +2 to hit doesn't really seem right. Or maybe even some skill challenges (stealth for approach, Str attack to grab, and a Dex vs Reflex or something to slice him in the right spot to kill him quickly).

The situation could also work if the target has no reason to believe you are a threat. "Oh yes gullable old mage, I'd LOVE to see that ancient draconic manuscript you have been translating. Please, lead the way." Slice

D3nt3

First Post
When things like this are meant to happen, is up to your DM allows it happen. If the Rogue is willing to cut the sentinel's throat and if this would be fun for the game, the DM just need to describe the scene and allow him to cut the throat.

It's like a CG or animation in a computer game, it has nothing to do with the mechanics of the game, it just happen as part of the story.

When Mario kicks Bowser's ass and saves the princess, you don't need to press any button for that to happen.

Note that just because you have snuck up behind him, or he doesn't think of you as a threat, doesn't guarantee a successful throat cut even in RL! So the CA attack roll takes that into account. You can always use the favourable DMs rule to add an extra +2 if you wish.

If you think that having successfully snuck up behind the guard it should be an auto kill, then make it so! Your the DM and it is as said above, more of a cut scene... although he still has to roll the stealth. Being the nasty-ish DM I am I would make the the PC take a penalty on his stealth roll to get so close, but he gets the bonus of a auto kill on miniony types ;)

For non-minions I would def make it a hard skill challenge, at least, with a XP value equal to the targets :)

Last edited:

Turtlejay

First Post
Any enemy of the PC's level that they encounter is balanced to be a reasonable threat, 1:1. Any enemy that would allow itself to be caught this way is not a reasonable threat for a PC, and that is what minions are for.

After all, I don't think PC's would like the reverse to be true. If they are on watch and get snuck up on, should they just die, no save, no chance? That is what mooks do, not heroes or their level threats.

I'd say in such a situation the guard is a minion, and the PC can roll with a +2 to hit, just as he would in any other situation. The only rule bending I'd consider is allowing a stealth check to pull the body into the shadows, Splinter Cell style.

Jay

N8Ball

Explorer
... I would make the the PC take a penalty on his stealth roll to get so close, but he gets the bonus of a auto kill on miniony types ;)

For non-minions I would def make it a hard skill challenge, at least, with a XP value equal to the targets :)

That's a great point, Mach. You should'nt really expect your rogue to be able to do this to a city guard at level 1, but maybe you could at level 12 or 15. At the same time, if you were taking out a kobold lackey at level 1? Definitely auto kill.

What's the theme here? If your character is high enough level to assassinate someone like that, then they are a MINION to you. 1 hit point. So hit = kill.... and the +2 for CA should have you hitting on a 3+ anyway, so just don't roll low.

Don't expect that same level of success against someone of your own experience unless you also want the DM's monsters to have the same ability to assassinate your characters with a good sneak roll.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It works fine - the guard in question is a minion, you sneak up behind him and deal some damage. Dramatically important enemies, on the other hand, have more hit points just like the PC has. It's still - theoretically - possible if you can deal enough damage or use the right power, but it's much harder.

It also could work very well as a skill challenge.

Coincidentally, there's a PDF in the downloads area called "Quick Kill":

Kindly donated to EN World by EMERALD PRESS. "Draped in shadow, your feet barely touch the floor as you move in for the kill. You only have one chance - kill your target and get away in a flash before everyone turns around and finds him standing there with a dagger in his back. Everything must be flawless, your execution perfect, and your timing absolute. This is the art of the quick kill."

There are times in any campaign where you need to take out a guard quickly without alerting anyone else and this can be tricky for higher-level characters squaring off against monsters with incredibly high hit points. It's time for the Quick Kill.

The Quick Kill is the first release in their Dark Emerald line of mature products for the 4th edition of the world's most popular roleplaying game. Included is the quick kill skill challenge and three encounters to use with (or against) your players.

Coincidentally, there's a PDF in the downloads area called "Quick Kill":
Yes and I would recommend it, I use it...

...another PDF I paid for and could have got with my subscription, eh Morrus ;)

But like the ...
guinness.jpg

Last edited:

Flipguarder

First Post
The PCs best stealthie has crept up to the mercenary camp. The lone sentry prods the campfire with a stick, trying to bring life to the fading coals. The PC slowly makes his way behind the sentry, drawing a knife. One hand reaches across the sentry's mouth and before any muffled noise can be make, the PC pulls the blade across the guard's throat and guides the lifeless body to the ground without a sound.

Oh wait, this is 4e, you only have combat advantage against him.

Do you want balanced gameplay mechanics, or realism. In any RPG the entire game is built around the balance between these two things. You can't have both for every situation. At least nobody has done so thus far, and many have tried.

Remove ads