• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smite Spell Feat Question

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Several related questions on the Smite Spell Feat from the PHBII

1. Can I put more than one spell in my arrow before I shoot it, as long as I do so within the 1 minute window of the first put in?

2. Can I put the same spell more than once in my arrow before I shoot it? For example can I load up an arrow with 5 Chill Touches or 5 Poison spells before a shot?

3. (Morality, not rules) Assuming I COULD put 5 poison spells on an arrow and shoot it....would that be too mean to the GM?

DS

Ranger19k

Explorer
Granted, the feat is not clear about how many spells can be used simultaneously, and you can probably make a case either way. Before you argue for your DM to allow multiple spells however, I'd consider how happy you'd be if your character was hit by one arrow and then told to roll 16 saves. - I know that it would piss me off. And if I was DMing and you convinced me to let it work that way, you can be sure than after you had used it a couple times that way, that it would come right back at you.....

Personally, I would rule "only one spell at a time" per weapon - but I acknowledge that it's not entirely clear. The feat description says: "you can alter a spell with a range of touch to transfer its energy from your hand to a weapon that you hold." To me, that simply means that the weapon is now "holding the charge" rather than your hand - and I would apply the same "holding a charge" rules to the weapon. Since a wizard can not hold multiple touch-spells simultaneously (you lose the held charge when you touch someone/something or cast another spell), I would have the same rules apply to a weapon. - ergo, just one spell per weapon at a time.

The feat is a little more clear when it comes to putting the spell into arrows: "You can place A smiting spell on A piece of ammunition or A projectile." (emphasis mine) That tells me that it's one spell per one piece of ammunition.

What I would allow, and think is unambiguously within the rules, is to fire off a "rapid-shot" volley of arrows, each of which could be holding a separate poison/chill touch spell. This would still suck... but would be a little more balanced than one arrow with 16 spells attached.

Arkhandus

First Post
Several related questions on the Smite Spell Feat from the PHBII

1. Can I put more than one spell in my arrow before I shoot it, as long as I do so within the 1 minute window of the first put in?

2. Can I put the same spell more than once in my arrow before I shoot it? For example can I load up an arrow with 5 Chill Touches or 5 Poison spells before a shot?

3. (Morality, not rules) Assuming I COULD put 5 poison spells on an arrow and shoot it....would that be too mean to the GM?

DS
1. No. Quoting the SRD and PHB's Magic Chapter, under Duration, emphasis mine:
SRD said:
Touch Spells and Holding the Charge
In most cases, if you don’t discharge a touch spell on the round you cast it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the spell) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell. You can’t hold the charge of such a spell; you must touch all targets of the spell in the same round that you finish casting the spell.
Smiting Spell uses touch spells ("You can alter a spell with a range of touch..."), so casting anything afterward will ruin the previous spell being held with that feat.

2. No, see answer #1.
3. Yes it would be mean to the DM, but irrelevant due to answer #1. Also, the DM would then surely use that same trick against you in the next encounter or some other dastardly plan, shooting your PC with an NPC's arrow holding multiple Poison spells. :D

Remove ads