Sneak attack and damage reduction

comareddin

First Post
I remember seeing somewhere that when a rogue sneak attacks a viable target (flanking him, flatfooted etc...) and his damage roll without the extra sneak damage does not deal enough damage to bypass the reduction, he does not roll the extra sneak dies. Is this part of the rules? If so where can it be found?

Another question is (although the question is quite stupid), can a rogue sneak attack an invisible target in any condition (knows where the target is, rolls for miss chance etc...) We always rule this as no but is the rule stated out somewhere?

Com

the Jester

Legend
comareddin said:
I remember seeing somewhere that when a rogue sneak attacks a viable target (flanking him, flatfooted etc...) and his damage roll without the extra sneak damage does not deal enough damage to bypass the reduction, he does not roll the extra sneak dies. Is this part of the rules? If so where can it be found?

No, the sneak attack damage is part of the weapon damage. If I'm a str 10 halfling rogue 20, and I hit something with DR 15/- with a normal (halfling-sized) rapier while meeting the conditions to sneak attack, I do (1d4 + 10d6)-15.

comareddin said:
Another question is (although the question is quite stupid), can a rogue sneak attack an invisible target in any condition (knows where the target is, rolls for miss chance etc...) We always rule this as no but is the rule stated out somewhere?

Com

Concealment foils sneak attack, so unless the rogue can see invisibility he can't sneak attack an invisible enemy.

Hope this helps! :)

Orm

Explorer
comareddin said:

Com
Never heard of such a rule. If you are able to pick a vulnerable point you simply deal more damage, thus you can overcome DR.
SRD said:
The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot.
I think this answers part two of your question (emphasis mine).

Orm

Remove ads